That's what i was gonna say why not download WhatsApp?
    Because no one she knows uses Whats App. They all have iphones. I have an Android and I use LiveProfile, so I downloaded LP for her to talk to me.
    10-22-11 11:00 AM
    Oh gotcha! Yup Yup, I set up an itunes account for her phone using the phone. That assigned her an Apple ID.

But she didn't have to give that ID out to use iMessage. Her phone could just identify other iPhones. I don't know how!

We went through her contact list, created messages and could view who had iMessage. That's awesome! So she knows who is free to talk to.

Since she doesn't have a text plan.
    You do know that you can add all of your contacts to BBM without a pin now?
    10-22-11 11:01 AM
    Because no one she knows uses Whats App. They all have iphones. I have an Android and I use LiveProfile, so I downloaded LP for her to talk to me.
    LP uses PIN doesn't it? i prefer WhatsApp for cross platform chat but obviously you use what you like
    10-22-11 11:02 AM
    How? are you referring to a barcode scan?
    10-22-11 11:06 AM
    Yeah, but then it uses text messages. It just shows the contacts within the BBM app.

You still need to exchange PINs to use BBM to BBM. Or emails. It doesn't automatically know which contacts have a Blackberry.

Unless you're telling me that if I open my BBM, and send a message to someone's cell number, it automatically uses BBM (not text) to send the message.
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    10-22-11 11:08 AM
    How? are you referring to a barcode scan?
    This option became available with OS6. You just receive all your(contacts) sms through BBM.
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    10-22-11 11:08 AM
    Yeah, bit then it uses text messages. It just shows the contacts within the BBM app.

You still need to exchange PINs to use BBM to BBM. Or emails. It doesn't automatically know which contacts have a Blackberry.
    That is absolutely correct for BBM to BBM, but not for emails though.
    Last edited by WillHeSurvive; 10-22-11 at 11:12 AM.
    10-22-11 11:10 AM
    In all the years I had a BB and even with mom, sis and hubby having BB, I used BBM about 4 times to file transfer. BBM isnt all that...I preferred text message. In fact the only one of the three that still have a BB is my sister and she still doesn't BBM. I actually removed BBM from my and my hubby's phone to free up space...
    10-22-11 11:12 AM
    I prefer any cross messaging app as well. But it seems the platform specific apps are the most reliable. Text messaging is just too expensive. It's ridiculous.

Live Profile is a good cross platform messenger but you have to get your friends and family to actually download it. That's the downfall.

Built in platform specific messaging apps are there, and so that makes them easily accessible.
    10-22-11 11:15 AM
    In all the years I had a BB and even with mom, sis and hubby having BB, I used BBM about 4 times to file transfer. BBM isnt all that...I preferred text message. In fact the only one of the three that still have a BB is my sister and she still doesn't BBM. I actually removed BBM from my and my hubby's phone to free up space...
    The freedom of choice.
    10-22-11 11:16 AM
    Yea I can care less what song anyone is listening to. Why would I?

BBM Music does more than that. You can discover new music by making contacts that share your taste. I was a music major in college and the greatest music discoveries I've had came from hanging out with people in my program and finding out what inspired them. So social music sharing is somewhat of an attempt to replicate that type of thing. Find people that share your taste; see what they are digging. Works for me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-22-11 11:17 AM
    That is absolutely correct for BBM to BBM, but not for emails though.
    I'm not quote sure what you mean? Can you clarify?

What I like about iMessage is that there is no work involved. No exchanging PINs, IDs, emails. No sending or accepting invites. No adding a friend list.

Sending an iMessage you just open messages, send to contact. And it automatically sends it as an iMessage with no further work involved.

As far as I know, no other messenger is like that.
    10-22-11 11:18 AM
    iMessage is pretty sweet. Auto recognising its sending to another iPhone...I was so over PINs lol
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-22-11 11:20 AM
    BBM Music does more than that. You can discover new music by making contacts that share your taste. I was a music major in college and the greatest music discoveries I've had came from hanging out with people in my program and finding out what inspired them. So social music sharing is somewhat of an attempt to replicate that type of thing. Find people that share your taste; see what they are digging. Works for me.

I'm not a music major. I'm not a teenager. I don't care what others are listening to at this point in my life. I "discover" new music by listening to the radio or Slacker. Lol. I turn on the spa or 90s channel and I hear new music all the time. Um, free.

I'm not down with the social aspect. My best friend sent me a CD in the mail last week. It sucked.

Thread is way OFF TOPIC. I like iMessage for the ease in use, not having to send out invites and manually find out who else has iMessage. The freaking phone did it automagically. No work required. Simple.
    redneck6497 likes this.
    10-22-11 11:20 AM
    I'm not quote sure what you mean? Can you clarify?

What I like about iMessage is that there is no work involved. No exchanging PINs, IDs, emails. No sending or accepting invites. No adding a friend list.

Sending an iMessage you just open messages, send to contact. And it automatically sends it as an iMessage with no further work involved.

As far as I know, no other messenger is like that.
    It only does this if everyone has an Iphone, right
    10-22-11 11:22 AM
    iMessage is pretty sweet. Auto recognising its sending to another iPhone...I was so over PINs lol
    THIS WAS MY WHOLE POINT! Thank you!
    10-22-11 11:23 AM
    It only does this if everyone has an Iphone, right
    Yes. You are missing my point dude. Her phone automaticAlly knew who had an iPhone. Which was most everyone she messages, but that's besides the point.

There was no exchanging PINs, mailing everyone to find out if they had an iPhone so could make sure she's using iMessage and not text. The phone indicated that whoever she was sending to had an iPhone. It showed a visable "iMessage" automatically when composig the message. That's awesome!
    10-22-11 11:25 AM
    Lol no problem Chrisy. We ovary sisters on a tech site gotta stick together.

As far as "it only works with another iPhone"...yes. It auto converts directly in the messaging app when you hit send. If the SMS bubble turns green, it's a non iPhone and still sends as an SMS. Blue means iMessage. Network problems automatically send it as SMS regardless - none of his stupid RIM outage nonsense (the reason I left the first time - well that and that gorgeous ***** the Pre) that renders BBM useless. All is done automatically by sending a message in the text messaging app. And you can see when someone is typing back, delivered or read, but oh have the option to turn the read notice off (something I found irritating and an invasion of privacy in BBM. If I don't want to answer right away I shouldn't be hounded by "I know you read it" because BBM insisted on telling people I read it. That was why I stopped using BBM in the first week).

It's a pretty brilliant system. And right now, not hard to send to another iPhone. I hear they are pretty popular.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 10-22-11 at 11:31 AM.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-22-11 11:27 AM
    Yes, iMessage recognizing another iPhone and sending as an iMessage is such a simple feature. But ultra easy to like because it makes life simpler.

I think that's what iPhone is good at!
    10-22-11 11:31 AM
    Yes. You are missing my point dude. Her phone automaticAlly knew who had an iPhone. Which was most everyone she messages, but that's besides the point.

There was no exchanging PINs, mailing everyone to find out if they had an iPhone so could make sure she's using iMessage and not text. The phone indicated that whoever she was sending to had an iPhone. It showed a visable "iMessage" automatically when composig the message. That's awesome!
    No one is disagreeing with you. Also @ 32yrs old, referring to some one as dude is so unattractive.
    10-22-11 11:31 AM
    No one is disagreeing with you. Also @ 32yrs old, referring to some one as dude is so unattractive.
    Luckily my purpose in life isn't to make myself appear attractive in your eyes.

By the way, I am super hot. Thanks. I sincerely hope you're not a male. Men with Pearl flips are so unattractive.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-22-11 at 11:42 AM.
    reeneebob likes this.
    10-22-11 11:32 AM
    Lol no problem Chrisy. We ovary sisters on a tech site gotta stick together.

As far as "it only works with another iPhone"...yes. It auto converts directly in the messaging app when you hit send. If the SMS bubble turns green, it's a non iPhone and still sends as an SMS. Blue means iMessage. Network problems automatically send it as SMS regardless - none of his stupid RIM outage nonsense (the reason I left the first time - well that and that gorgeous ***** the Pre) that renders BBM useless. All is done automatically by sending a message in the text messaging app. And you can see when someone is typing back, delivered or read, but oh have the option to turn the read notice off (something I found irritating and an invasion of privacy in BBM. If I don't want to answer right away I shouldn't be hounded by "I know you read it" because BBM insisted on telling people I read it. That was why I stopped using BBM in the first week).

It's a pretty brilliant system. And right now, not hard to send to another iPhone. I hear they are pretty popular.
    I didn't even realize the different colors. I am new to iPhone and only have brief periods with it trying to figure it out for my mother. Lol. She assumes I'll just know how to use it even though I have never owned one. Lol.

Additionally, the features you mentioned above are also very useful and ones I hadn't thought of! Automatically defaulting to SMS if network not available. Love it.

Thanks!
    reeneebob likes this.
    10-22-11 11:35 AM
    I know you meant this to sound condescending, but be that as it may - I'm 36 years old and call people dude at times.

Why you think it's to be used as a yardstick to measure someone's attractiveness or social standing, I have no idea, but I find *THAT* kind of judgement far more unattractive than someone using the word dude. Dude.
    10-22-11 12:09 PM
    You Iphone people will forever keep forcing yourselves to believe Imessage is as good as BBM. You fail to realise that within BBM you have a little tick box you can select to either show or not show the text messages of your BBM contacts within the BBM app. However it goes a little further and groups all the text messages separate from BBM messages so you dont make the mistake of sending them a costly SMS when u instead intended on sending them a free BBM.

The level of organisation you can achieve with BBM is unparalleled on any other platform. BBM messages always get delivered and if not you know bcos you do not see the Delivered (D) pop up. Also on BBM you dont have to turn read notification off or on. All you need to do is not click on the message as if to type and the sender would not know you've read it.

BBM has evolved to a social network and not just mere messaging method.. if ya'll were gonna be truthful you'd admit that Imessage is simply a copycat of BBM using Whatsapp phone number recognition method. On a BB we already have that and it uses BB's push technology so you always get the message. It's only when messaging iphone and other platform contacts that they seem to have problems getting messages unless they open the app.

Keep trying dudes.
    M.Rizk, rscope, naramation and 1 others like this.
    10-22-11 12:37 PM
    RIM will just copy this; it is fair game unless patented.

Chrisy likes this.
    10-22-11 12:37 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD