Ok, so my mom got an iPhone 4 and I've been setting it up for her. That phone is sweet!

I am impressed with iMessage because it is easier than Live Profile and BBM. That's what Apple seems to be about and why both my parents have iPhone!

You don't need a PIN or LP#, you just create a message to someone number and the phone indicated if iMessage is being used or not! Man I love that!

My mom doesn't have a text plan so does not want to rack up a big text bill. There's is NO asking for someone's PIN, no add me, no accept invitation.

Just use their cell number and make sure ot says iMessage. Something so simple, easy and why I think Apple IS succeeding.
    10-22-11 08:51 AM
    Yep iMessage is really cool. Everything is integrated. There is no thinking about it. iOS does it for you.

I am sure that in the future iMessage will get even more features integrated into the messaging app.
    10-22-11 09:20 AM

Just use their cell number and make sure ot says iMessage. Something so simple, easy and why I think Apple IS succeeding.
    It does look simple. But because of it's simplicity it isn't very expandable. BBM is now more than an app. It's a platform. In addition to BBM Music, you can be sure than more apps like that are coming.

In terms of BBM-integrated apps, Foursquare and ScoreMobile are the best examples among the early ones. As for games, there're plenty now that are BBM integrated. I'm working with my business partner on one that is real-time multi-player, and has BBM integrated. iMessage wouldn't be able to do that.
    10-22-11 09:20 AM
    I don't want or need that other stuff, and neither does my mom on her iPhone.

She just wants to chat.

All those other choices are cool, but I use my phone for communication. Not sharing music, or social networking. I mean, my mom is 57, she has friends and family. She ain't trying to share music lists like a teenager. I'm 32 and I don't play games like foursquare. I just talk TO PEOPLE I KNOW IRL.

Lol. Sounds like BlackBerry and BBM are great if you want a toy and games. .
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-22-11 at 09:28 AM.
    ca101d likes this.
    10-22-11 09:25 AM
    Yea. Music sharing and social networking mean nothing to me in a messaging app. I just want to be able to communicate fast and efficiently. iMessage allows for that to happen. If I want someone to know what song I am listening to, I would create a twitter account and post it as a status update.

I am sure iMessage will take some cues from iChat which does display the current song you are playing if you chose to make it visible. I can care less about away messages too.
    10-22-11 09:29 AM
    I absolutely love that you don't need to exchange PINS. I may get an iPhone because of iMessage.

No one cares what song you're listening to. Haha! The novelty of that in BBM wore out quickly. No one really cares what you're doing but you. I also learned that with ringback tones. Remember those. All my friends and family said they didn't want to be forced to listen to my dumb native flute music! Lol.
    10-22-11 09:30 AM
    What's iChat? Is that on iPhone? I can finally understand why Apple is so popular. It is a great product.
    10-22-11 09:33 AM
    Apple may copy stuff, but man they do it right. They simplify it, make it work faster and better.
    Hawt#CB likes this.
    10-22-11 09:41 AM
    I absolutely love that you don't need to exchange PINS. I may get an iPhone because of iMessage.

No one cares what song you're listening to. Haha! The novelty of that in BBM wore out quickly. No one really cares what you're doing but you. I also learned that with ringback tones. Remember those. All my friends and family said they didn't want to be forced to listen to my dumb native flute music! Lol.
    Yea I can care less what song anyone is listening to. Why would I? I mean, it's cool for people who give a damn, but for me it is unnecessary. Knowing what someone is listening to does not improve upon my day. I means nothing. If someone wants to introduce me to a new artist, message me the name and I will check them out when I please.

What's iChat? Is that on iPhone? I can finally understand why Apple is so popular. It is a great product.
    iChat is a Messaging client built into OS X. Think of it like BeeJive.
    10-22-11 09:56 AM
    If iMessage had personal message where everyone can see it kinda like bbm, It would be an easier decision for me to switch come iPhone 5.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-11 10:18 AM
    A broadcast message feature you mean?
    10-22-11 10:27 AM
    It has group messaging.. To be able to use imessage, you just give your apple ID. which is painless to set up. It's like google talk in that respect.. but it covers a broader scope
    10-22-11 10:29 AM
    I don't want or need that other stuff, and neither does my mom on her iPhone.

She just wants to chat.

All those other choices are cool, but I use my phone for communication. Not sharing music, or social networking. I mean, my mom is 57, she has friends and family. She ain't trying to share music lists like a teenager. I'm 32 and I don't play games like foursquare. I just talk TO PEOPLE I KNOW IRL.

BBM is a platform. It includes the chat app, BBM. And no one forces you to use apps that are BBM integrated (Foursquare and several games). If you're simply using BBM for chat, it is still the best messaging app available, because it has true push (unlike iMessage and what Samsung is doing).

BBM Groups for example, is the best way to work on an assignment/project together in real-time, even if you're hundreds of kilometers away. I used it when I was a teaching assistant in an economics course (talk to other TAs about how many marks they give for certain answers) and now I use it in my mba program (discuss class work, tell ppl about the next workshop, networking event, pub/club night, etc).
    Last edited by limh5; 10-22-11 at 10:31 AM.
    10-22-11 10:29 AM
    and that is why I left bb the iPhone is easy to use. And so much smoother
    10-22-11 10:32 AM
    It has group messaging.. To be able to use imessage, you just give your apple ID. which is painless to set up. It's like google talk in that respect.. but it covers a broader scope
    My mom didn't give out her Apple ID. The phone just recognized when it was sending to another iPhone. It said iMessage instead of text message.

And she could send an iMessge to multiple phones at once.

Unease actually wondering what the Apple ID was used for on an iPhone. What's it do?
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-22-11 at 10:46 AM.
    10-22-11 10:33 AM

Ha, I thought that's what they say about the iPhone

No one cares what song you're listening to. Haha! The novelty of that in BBM wore out quickly. No one really cares what you're doing but you.
    Heh, welcome to the current internet generation: Foursquare, Twitter, FaceBook, etc. Apparently people do care more about other people's lives than their own. That, or we like to inflate our own ego
    10-22-11 10:44 AM
    BBM is a platform. It includes the chat app, BBM. And no one forces you to use apps that are BBM integrated (Foursquare and several games). If you're simply using BBM for chat, it is still the best messaging app available, because it has true push (unlike iMessage and what Samsung is doing).

BBM Groups for example, is the best way to work on an assignment/project together in real-time, even if you're hundreds of kilometers away. I used it when I was a teaching assistant in an economics course (talk to other TAs about how many marks they give for certain answers) and now I use it in my mba program (discuss class work, tell ppl about the next workshop, networking event, pub/club night, etc).
    iMessage acts like it is push. Messages are instant and display a D and R. How isn't it push?
    10-22-11 10:44 AM
    Right. But there had to be a mechanism where she was validated by Apple's servers. I know for me to set certain things up, I had to have an Apple ID. I know iMessage will activate upon carrier activation. So I may be inaccurate on some things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-22-11 10:45 AM

Define true push. I've got push across the board last I checked. The email client may not be robust as bb but that's not a deal breaker

10-22-11 10:48 AM
    BBM is now more than an app. It's a platform. In addition to BBM Music, you can be sure than more apps like that are coming.

Just so sad that RIM seems to only care about North America,.. most "cool" apps and features are not available for anyone else....
    10-22-11 10:48 AM
    Ok, so my mom got an iPhone 4 and I've been setting it up for her. That phone is sweet!

I am impressed with iMessage because it is easier than Live Profile and BBM. That's what Apple seems to be about and why both my parents have iPhone!

You don't need a PIN or LP#, you just create a message to someone number and the phone indicated if iMessage is being used or not! Man I love that!

My mom doesn't have a text plan so does not want to rack up a big text bill. There's is NO asking for someone's PIN, no add me, no accept invitation.

Sounds almost like "WhatsApp" - it just works... even without needing to type any numbers - just grabs from your active addressbook....
    10-22-11 10:50 AM
    Ha, I thought that's what they say about the iPhone

Heh, welcome to the current internet generation: Foursquare, Twitter, FaceBook, etc. Apparently people do care more about other people's lives than their own. That, or we like to inflate our own ego
    I'm my opinion, we only think others care. Everyone updates their own Twitters, Facebook G+, thinking people are hanging on our every move and word. In reality we are all too busy updating our statues to be too concerned with others.

Yeah, I do think it is an ego thing too. I also find it very impersonal. I have a twitters, and I did try all the other social networking. It has its uses. Keeping up on news like phone news, CNN.

When it comes to actually being social I think it is horribly impersonal. My family and friends I want to talk tonot , send impersonal updates to. I email or text or omg call. Or even visit! Gasp.

Social networking gives the appearance of keeping in touch but it is false, not real. That's just my opinion and experience. For me, it made it easier to feel like I was involved in say, my brothers life, when I reality I was still on the outside looking through a window. When I realized that, I started making an effort to keep in contact with friends and family on a personal level.
    10-22-11 10:52 AM
    Right. But there had to be a mechanism where she was validated by Apple's servers. I know for me to set certain things up, I had to have an Apple ID. I know iMessage will activate upon carrier activation. So I may be inaccurate on some things

Oh gotcha! Yup Yup, I set up an itunes account for her phone using the phone. That assigned her an Apple ID.

But she didn't have to give that ID out to use iMessage. Her phone could just identify other iPhones. I don't know how!

We went through her contact list, created messages and could view who had iMessage. That's awesome! So she knows who is free to talk to.

Since she doesn't have a text plan.
    10-22-11 10:57 AM
    Sounds almost like "WhatsApp" - it just works... even without needing to type any numbers - just grabs from your active addressbook....
    That's what i was gonna say why not download WhatsApp?
    10-22-11 10:58 AM
    By the way, under her AOL (ugh, I know) it says push. She got emails from my gmail Android to her iPhone within seconds.
    10-22-11 10:59 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD