How do you add people on imessenger? Like BBM?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-11 03:40 PM
    It's automatic in iOS 5 it sees another iOS 5 device and poof it works. It is not available to the public yet
    09-14-11 06:36 PM
    Since it is going to be able to be used on any iOS device, I would imagine that iMessage international texting would be free then? The carriers charge an arm and a leg for texts sent/received internationally. Total ripoff. BBM bypasses this, but will iMessage?

Thanks to anyone who can contribute their nuggets of knowledge.
    09-14-11 07:41 PM
    Yes, iMessage will be just like BBM in that it 'bypasses' carrier fees.
    09-14-11 09:26 PM
    I really am struggling to decide if to get iphone4 white or blackberry bold 9900 need a phone asap

09-15-11 04:46 AM
    Wait a few weeks and get the iPhone 5

09-15-11 06:14 AM
    Since it is going to be able to be used on any iOS device, I would imagine that iMessage international texting would be free then? The carriers charge an arm and a leg for texts sent/received internationally. Total ripoff. BBM bypasses this, but will iMessage?

Thanks to anyone who can contribute their nuggets of knowledge.
    My understanding is that iMessage is considered data, not SMS.
    So, simple texts between people would amount to very little data used.
    Transferring files (if it will allow this) might add up to more, depending on the size and frequency of files sent.

Can anyone using an iOS beta confirm if it allows you to send files?
    09-15-11 11:21 AM
    i hope that i can send messages internationally! it would be kinda pointless for imessage to behave just like SMS...
    09-15-11 11:31 AM
    i hope that i can send messages internationally! it would be kinda pointless for imessage to behave just like SMS...
    iMessage will behave just like bbm, it will bypass carrier fees, and as long as you have an Internet connection you can talk to whoever wherever you want for no charge. It will be on all iOS devices.
    09-15-11 12:18 PM
    I really am struggling to decide if to get iphone4 white or blackberry bold 9900 need a phone asap

wait for the iphone 5, you don't want to miss out on the iphone 5 by not being able to wait a few weeks.

and as for imessage if you go on youtube you can find a video of someone (from the iphone tipb, i think thats the name of the iphone section) with imessage comparing it to bbm with kevin and blaze and the iphone was beating bbm most of the time.
    09-15-11 12:29 PM
    You can MMS on iMessage just like a SMS
    09-15-11 12:34 PM
    iMessage will behave just like bbm, it will bypass carrier fees, and as long as you have an Internet connection you can talk to whoever wherever you want for no charge. It will be on all iOS devices.
    The only carrier fee you will get is a data charge. iMessage uses a data connection, that is all. If you have a contact that happens to use an iOS device, it will turn the SMS chat into an iMessage chat. Not instead of sending texts it just sends IMs. If you are on a WiFi connection, no data will be charged at all, just like if you were using iMessage from an iPod Touch.
    09-15-11 01:49 PM
    I haven't tried it but I don't see why not. If the person on the other end is using an iPhone, the Messaging app will automatically convert the chat to iMessage instead of SMS.
    09-15-11 01:50 PM
    so if i have unlimited data on my plan, it's all good all the time? i don't have to be connected to wifi?
    09-16-11 11:39 AM
    so if i have unlimited data on my plan, it's all good all the time? i don't have to be connected to wifi?
    iMessage just requires an internet connection. It doesn't discriminate between WiFi or your carrier.

Any data plan will do, unlimited or not.
    09-16-11 04:27 PM
    Like the first reply said ios5 nows but then you may aswell use Sms

09-22-11 06:53 PM
    Will imessage destroy bbm??
    09-23-11 02:22 PM
    Will imessage destroy bbm??
    No. It has less features then BBM.

However, it can do a number to BB sales in general. All of those who want to switch but wont because of BBM can now tell all their friends who want to switch as well that they can iMessage instead.

iMessage just makes things more unified for iOS. You can communicate with someone from any iOS product that is able to use iOS 5.

iOS requires you to have an iOS device just like BBM requires a BB. So this will mostly help iOS users only. Like I said in the beginning though, people on the fence may just go fr it now because of this.
    09-23-11 02:33 PM
    Well my other question is will it be secure like bbm is??
    09-23-11 03:41 PM
    As secure as BBM was last week when it went "down" but people were getting BBM spam messages
    09-23-11 04:18 PM
    so my friend who also has an iphone has the smallest data plan available so she doesn't like to use it too much away from home and wifi. so..if i text her and we both have ios5...it's going to basically change any text i send her into an imessage...charging her data instead of just a regular text message...is there a way to avoid this? or is it such a small amount of data that it won't be noticeable?
    10-03-11 12:12 AM
    so my friend who also has an iphone has the smallest data plan available so she doesn't like to use it too much away from home and wifi. so..if i text her and we both have ios5...it's going to basically change any text i send her into an imessage...charging her data instead of just a regular text message...is there a way to avoid this? or is it such a small amount of data that it won't be noticeable?
    You can turn off iMessage so you can just text her and not worry about her using data if she is that worried. iMessage is exactly like IMing and BBMing. It really doesn't use that much data. It is just text, it's not like you are streaming video to her or she is loading a full webpage every time she reads a message. If she is this worried about data she should get a BB or maybe pay a little extra for a better data plan so she doesn't have to stress out about little things like this.
    10-03-11 12:20 PM
    that's why i asked actually. to see how much data it would take. we both figured that was the case but we wanted to make sure before her phone bill went up. she's not stressed...we were just checking...but thx for your concern....
    10-03-11 01:33 PM
    You'd have to send a few thousands imessages to use an appreciable amount of data.
    Her data plan is safe.
    olliegrl likes this.
    10-03-11 10:07 PM
    I really think this is going to be a game changer. iPhone users are really excited for this, and those who are considering iPhone will be swayed by this new messaging app. It sounds like it will be a great addition for the iPhone OS.
    10-04-11 09:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD