My mom is in the market for a new computer and is looking at the iMac 21.5. I have a question. As she has an iphone and a wifi router will she be able to print from phone to printer and also stream music with a non Apple router or does she need to buy the Airport/Airport Extreme? Any help would be most appreciated.
    03-04-12 10:23 PM
    Has to be an AirPrint printer (see list below) in order to print from an iOS device.

Buy AirPrint Printers - Wireless Printers for iPad - Apple Store (U.S.)
    voltaire likes this.
    03-05-12 09:29 AM
    Thank you very much for the information.
    03-05-12 01:26 PM
    Has to be an AirPrint printer (see list below) in order to print from an iOS device.

Buy AirPrint Printers - Wireless Printers for iPad - Apple Store (U.S.)

Not strictly true. I have an Epson Stylus NX330 wi-fi multifunction printer and installed the free Epson iPrint app and I am able to print from my iPhone and iPad without issue. My wi-fi modem is a Cisco unit provided by my ISP.

The app also gives the user access to other features with the printer and access to online doc services for printing.

I understand from others that the Epson will also print from an iDevice without the app, but as its free....

Not sure on the music streaming - it seems to me that it would have to be the Airport (and I think, the music output plugged into it) or via AirPlay, a Apple TV box or Airplay-enabled receiver.
    Last edited by Bazza1; 03-05-12 at 02:05 PM.
    voltaire likes this.
    03-05-12 02:00 PM
    There is also an app called " HP Home and Biz" that lets you print from iPhone and iPad to any HP printer over Wi-Fi.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    voltaire likes this.
    03-05-12 10:22 PM
    There is also an app called " HP Home and Biz" that lets you print from iPhone and iPad to any HP printer over Wi-Fi.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Tks for the info GolfnCPA,

Good Luck
    03-06-12 08:47 PM
    Glad I could help. Best to you.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk
    03-06-12 09:55 PM
    Apparently a number of printer manufacturers have apps in the App Store for doing wireless printing. YOu can try searching if you are interested in a particular printer.

Any router should work fine but may be a little more finicky to set up.
    voltaire likes this.
    03-08-12 01:58 AM
    There's also "air print enabler" which allows the iPhone to print to any printer attached to the Mac.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    voltaire likes this.
    03-08-12 10:22 AM
    I can print to my HP Photosmart printer (plugged into my router) without using any app.
    03-12-12 11:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD