Do you think that android would be so popular? I think alot of people got the droids because it was the next best thing. Now that the iphones are here and will most likely stay will people continue to keep there droids or move to apple?

I have had the droid for about 6 months and love it, tried the iphone that I got my wife and it's great very "smooth". I think I'm going to switch also.

Camera is also awesome compared to the X
    02-15-11 12:59 PM
    I think this is a great question. I'm surprised it hasn't been asked already. Of course
    because I'm not clever enough to think of it either....

I actually think it would have made a huge difference. The way I see it,

- People who on verizon who wanted and iPhone weren't going to switch to ATT
    and figured that an Android was the best next thing.

-People on verizon who had an upgrade were going to wait it out in hopes that
    MAYBE it would come true. If it didn't, for whatever period of time they were
    willing to wait it out, they were going Android.

I was on ATT for a few years and had an iPhone 4. My service began to get
    terrible. Progressively though. I knew I was going to switch to Verizon in the
    near future anyway. When I did, I got a Droid X in November and I was pretty
    much convinced that Verizon would get the iPhone because of all the strong
    rumors. Coupled with the fact that they began to carry the iPad. I knew then
    that Apple and Verizon were playing nice. The X held me over. Once January 11th
    hit, I sold the X a week before I pre-ordered. I had an upgrade (don't ask me how
    I got an upgrade only 2 months into a contract lol)
    02-15-11 01:14 PM
    There's no doubt that many people bought Android phones because they "are the next best thing" in a lot of people eyes. I think we would find that many people on Sprint and TMO that want iPhones probably are likely to have an Android device because it can provide you the same features in a great package. I do still think Android would be popular because it's a very good platform, but definitely not as popular.

The thing is that many people who use these phones don't know what Android really is. They don't know it's a Google OS. The line has been blurred between the plethora of devices and the manufacturers UI tweaks that many people do not know what they really have. Not saying that's a good or bad thing, just I think that's how it is. My wife didn't know our EVOs were basically the same thing as the Droid X. She hated the X but loved the EVO. My brother loved his HTC Hero and is now lukewarm about his LG Optimus. We know what it is but there isn't a strong brand recognition because of all the different forms it is available in. And google and the manufacturers don't spend enough time educating and telling people why Android is so good. They spend too much time worrying about knocking down Apple that they forget to push their system. My friends thought Android were only available on Verizon because of all the DROID commercials, while they both are using samsung moments on Sprint.
    02-15-11 02:04 PM
    There's no doubt that many people bought Android phones because they "are the next best thing" in a lot of people eyes. I think we would find that many people on Sprint and TMO that want iPhones probably are likely to have an Android device because it can provide you the same features in a great package. I do still think Android would be popular because it's a very good platform, but definitely not as popular.

The thing is that many people who use these phones don't know what Android really is. They don't know it's a Google OS. The line has been blurred between the plethora of devices and the manufacturers UI tweaks that many people do not know what they really have. Not saying that's a good or bad thing, just I think that's how it is. My wife didn't know our EVOs were basically the same thing as the Droid X. She hated the X but loved the EVO. My brother loved his HTC Hero and is now lukewarm about his LG Optimus. We know what it is but there isn't a strong brand recognition because of all the different forms it is available in. And google and the manufacturers don't spend enough time educating and telling people why Android is so good. They spend too much time worrying about knocking down Apple that they forget to push their system. My friends thought Android were only available on Verizon because of all the DROID commercials, while they both are using samsung moments on Sprint.
    Very good post and many good points made.
    02-15-11 04:28 PM
    I think there would've been an ample difference but not jaw dropping as many wouild think. I do agree many would've chosen iphone over android if given the chance back then. Having said that, there are many features to android that are very appealing to many people and were and continue to be part of the experience.

I believe people who wanted an iphone already have one, whether it is on at&t or vz. In that regard market fluctuation will be seen in the sense of people on at&t switching to VZ for the iphone.
    02-16-11 08:37 AM
    I believe people who wanted an iphone already have one, whether it is on at&t or vz.
    Certainly not true because I'd bet there are thousands of Sprint and T mobile users that want one but refuse to switch carriers. Everyone doesn't leave for a device. Sure a lot leave but a lot also don't. I'm pretty sure a significant amount of people stayed with VZW strictly because they refused to get an iPhone. But when Verizon opened preorders for existing customers, the iPhone shattered the record for a VZW phone in a couple hours which rumored to be over half a million. That shows how many people refuse to leave their carrier. And I suspect there are probably hundreds of thousands that can't give up cheap prices they pay for Sprint or TMO. Most TMO users aren't going to pay an absurd amount of money for an unlocked iPhone where they get no fast internet speeds and no support from Apple. And many Sprint users are leaving those dirt cheap prices. So they have what they probably see as the next best thing.... an Android. Surely everyone that wants an iPhone does not have one.
    02-16-11 09:15 AM
    Certainly not true because I'd bet there are thousands of Sprint and T mobile users that want one but refuse to switch carriers. Everyone doesn't leave for a device. Sure a lot leave but a lot also don't. I'm pretty sure a significant amount of people stayed with VZW strictly because they refused to get an iPhone. But when Verizon opened preorders for existing customers, the iPhone shattered the record for a VZW phone in a couple hours which rumored to be over half a million. That shows how many people refuse to leave their carrier. And I suspect there are probably hundreds of thousands that can't give up cheap prices they pay for Sprint or TMO. Most TMO users aren't going to pay an absurd amount of money for an unlocked iPhone where they get no fast internet speeds and no support from Apple. And many Sprint users are leaving those dirt cheap prices. So they have what they probably see as the next best thing.... an Android. Surely everyone that wants an iPhone does not have one.
    Very fair points. As you have pointed out nothing is perfect, it is a zero sum game. My gf was one of thouse who refused to leave VZ for the iphone, now that it is avaible she really likes it, never thought about trying it before then. My point here is people who were/are infatuated with the device have chosen to pay more, or deal with bad service for it already. It would be rather silly for me to generalize as every individual out there who does not have an iphone to not wanting one.

It seems to me android has gone from being the next best thing to capable of doing "more" in some instances or even stand on its own. For instance, i was able to sync my music library over the air with doubletwist, itunes does not offer that yet. I still have to plug my iphone into the computer.
    02-16-11 09:35 AM
    Very fair points. As you have pointed out nothing is perfect, it is a zero sum game. My gf was one of thouse who refused to leave VZ for the iphone, now that it is avaible she really likes it, never thought about trying it before then. My point here is people who were/are infatuated with the device have chosen to pay more, or deal with bad service for it already. It would be rather silly for me to generalize as every individual out there who does not have an iphone to not wanting one.

It seems to me android has gone from being the next best thing to capable of doing "more" in some instances or even stand on its own. For instance, i was able to sync my music library over the air with doubletwist, itunes does not offer that yet. I still have to plug my iphone into the computer.
    Yeah I agree. I left Verizon back in 2008 to get the iPhone. I do think a lot of people were willing and jumped shipped but I also think a ton of people weren't willing to. I also agree with you about Android going from the "next best thing" to doing more in some instances. I just think that many people see Android as the next best thing. Particularly those that really aren't aware of the OS and its potential. Personally, I see it as an alternative rather than the next best thing that does some things better and things not as good. I just think the general public has a different perception. And because something maybe more capable doesn't necessarily make it better. For instance, my PC can do boat load more than my Mac but it's not even close to which one I rather use and believe is the better computer. But that's just me. I don't want to argue which is better because I really don't care. I've used Androids from the Capitivate, Incredible, X, EVO and LG optimus and all versions of the iPhone. I like both OS but what I prefer is what I prefer. And what we prefer or think to be better isn't always what public perception is.

Just like all these Android tabs coming out. People will consider them as the next best thing to the iPad. Not saying that's good or bad. Just what I believe it to be.
    02-16-11 02:35 PM
    I might not have looked at the DX, but I like the 4.3" screen.
    Now that I have the DX anything less than a 4" screen is DOA for me.
    So for me to jump ship, Apple needs iPhone 5 to have at least a 4" screen.
    02-17-11 06:59 PM
    I might not have looked at the DX, but I like the 4.3" screen.
    Now that I have the DX anything less than a 4" screen is DOA for me.
    So for me to jump ship, Apple needs iPhone 5 to have at least a 4" screen.
    I thought that too when I was trying to decide to buy the iPhone when it came out. But truth be told, after about an hour on the iPhone 4 I didn't even notice the screen size difference, becuase of how nice the display, camera, and web are. To me comparing the Droid X to the iPhone 4 is like going from a Kia to a Lexus. To me it looks nicer, and feels like it has a better build quality.
    02-17-11 07:16 PM
    I thought that too when I was trying to decide to buy the iPhone when it came out. But truth be told, after about an hour on the iPhone 4 I didn't even notice the screen size difference, becuase of how nice the display, camera, and web are. To me comparing the Droid X to the iPhone 4 is like going from a Kia to a Lexus. To me it looks nicer, and feels like it has a better build quality.
    While I agree I would trade my X for my wifes new iphone I think a better comparison is ford to honda. X is not the bottom of the pole like kia

I just think the iphone is super smooth and very "polished" for a better experience. Can't even compare the cameras.
    02-18-11 08:44 AM

They actually aren't. One is HTC and the other is Motorola. The upcoming HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon will be the same as the EVO was. So, she was right...
    02-18-11 10:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD