Now I know a lot of people would love to have some type of iChat on the iPhone. I can see it being just like BBM, but better. I would love for Apple to make iChat for the iPhone and with it include the following things-

• Get rid of the SMS/MMS app and include it within iChat.

• Integrate all messaging but in a simple way that you can tell what "client" your contact is using to message you (IM,SMS, etc.., almost like the Pre's messaging, but better)

• iPhone to iPhone chat- BBM for iPhones

There is a lot more I'm sure people would like to add, like the ability for video chat (when newer iPhones get front facing cameras), but I would just like all of my messages in one simple app.

I use BeeJive, and it is a great client, but I just don't see why Apple can't integrate iChat into the iPhone. If they want, they can make it so you can only connect to 1 IM client at a time, so they can still make money off of IM apps like BeeJive and IM+.

I am happy with the way things are, but I can just see this being so much better.I know this topic as been brought up before, mostly within other rumor threads, but I figure why not have a dedicated thread for it?

Anyone else have any other things they would like to add for what they would want out of iChat? Feel free to share.
    08-18-09 05:57 PM
    That would be awsome , i dont own a mac , but have a mac book pro on the way , so i am stoked for this, and i think it would be a great idea, especially to intigrate mms and sms with it , kill two birds with one stone , might even be able to get email into that , and a iphone to iphone would be killer aslong as it works similar to BBM , that would be a hit , infact , im susprised "theres NOT a app for that " lol
    08-18-09 08:39 PM
    iChat would be great.

iPhone to iPhone messaging would be awesome to... it would be a great way to get more corporate heads as well. I know at AT&T, that's all the managers love to use (bbm).
    08-18-09 08:57 PM
    This makes a ton of sense and I would not doubt that it's already on the drawing board. Perhaps they're waiting to add a front facing camera to the mix? That would make BBM look like Prodigy Chat...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-09 10:22 AM
    ichat would be awesome because since apple doesnt wanna allow multitasking you could im people with an im client and text all in same app and issue like a special iphone user name or some sort.

i love my ichat on my macbook i can im people or talk to other ichat users.
    08-19-09 02:23 PM
    This makes a ton of sense and I would not doubt that it's already on the drawing board. Perhaps they're waiting to add a front facing camera to the mix? That would make BBM look like Prodigy Chat...

Yea I wouldn't doubt that it is already in the works. Hopefully they make it as good as the real iChat.

08-20-09 10:04 AM
    Yea I wouldn't doubt that it is already in the works. Hopefully they make it as good as the real iChat.

I'm betting the front facing feature will be released next year, on the 4th device model, or when AT&T joins LTE, since I'm assuming iChat might take up a lot of bandwidth. As it is, AT&T crippling anything related to bandwidth-hoggin apps to wi-fi is a bit annoying.
    08-20-09 10:14 AM
    I'm betting the front facing feature will be released next year, on the 4th device model, or when AT&T joins LTE, since I'm assuming iChat might take up a lot of bandwidth. As it is, AT&T crippling anything related to bandwidth-hoggin apps to wi-fi is a bit annoying.
    I agree. I do believe the next iPhone will have a front facing camera. It was even rumored that the 3GS was suppose to.
    08-20-09 09:42 PM
    This would be a great addition. It is one of the features I am looking forward to. A front camera would allow video calling through Skype and Yahoo Voice hopefully. I wouldn't mind a webcam attachment to go on the iphone.
    12-02-09 10:17 AM
    Yea, iChat would be great.

But this idea has been thrown up time and time again since the launch of the first gen iPhone.

12-02-09 03:08 PM
    It's something that will probably be integrated in the near future. I'd rather that
    they develop it right then to rush it out.
    12-03-09 12:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD