I need to Jailbreak and unlock it? i know there is the base band issue. i would LOVE to buy a new one on ebay but how would i know what base band or OS it comes with. i don't want to buy one and then cant be used (im on tmobile)

any help would be appreciated...
    11-29-09 08:04 AM
    Right now any available baseband can be unlocked, so you can use any iPhone with t-mobile. The problem is with the newer 3Gs phones that require a tethered jailbreak, making the older ones more desirable.

" Blackra1n (jailbreaking/unlocking tool) currently performs only a tethered jailbreak for these new devices, which means you need to use blackra1n every time you boot the device, otherwise all your jailbreak data gets wiped."
    11-29-09 08:15 AM
    Never heard Blackra1n causing that? My iPhone was jailbroken and unlocked using it and I never tether it to the pc.
    11-29-09 09:50 AM
    Just quoted it from another site. Basically it won't start unless it's connected to a pc with blackra1n running
    11-29-09 10:04 AM
    Not true starts just fine. I know multiple users who have used it and no issues whatsoever.
    11-29-09 10:08 AM
    Not true starts just fine. I know multiple users who have used it and no issues whatsoever.
    With the older 3Gs-s. The tethered jailbreak requires the phone to be connected to a pc with blackra1n running
    11-29-09 10:11 AM
    I have the older 3GS
    11-29-09 10:13 AM
    "Updated October 26, 2009 at 6:05 a.m. PT: shawncpotter, one of our readers', asked for clarification on what "Tethered jailbreak for 3.1 OOTB ipt 8GB and new 3GS units" means. If own a specific late model iPhone 3GS and it loses power or needs to be rebooted for any reason, you must first tether it to a computer and use Blackra1n to turn it back on again."

from Blackra1n RC2 supports tethered 3GS jailbreak | iPhone Atlas - CNET Reviews
    11-29-09 10:15 AM
    Either way just use pre-caution. If it "does" end up requiring you to do that in the end you can always restore it and sell it.
    11-29-09 10:15 AM
    dvigue there should be a way to determine if it requires a tethered jailbreak by the serial number. Google it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-09 10:32 AM
    dvigue there should be a way to determine if it requires a tethered jailbreak by the serial number. Google it.

yeah cause the would really suck, having to have my PC hooked to it when ever i boot it up. thats ****ty...
    11-29-09 10:48 AM
    how about jailbreaking with the Pwnage tool? if i do that will i have to connect to a PC everytime i reboot as well?
    11-29-09 10:55 AM
    no, pwnage tool is the better method, but it only works on firmwares 3.0 an below I think.
    Shameless sales pitch; I have a mint 3gs for sale in the marketplace that's unlocked without the tethered jailbreak problem. It's on hold right now but if you're interested I can let you know if the deal falls through.

11-29-09 11:08 AM
    has anyone got a 3gs and went back to a regualr 3g? or 2g? just wondering......

it scares me to spend so much on a phone and then something happen and i cant jailbreak. i love my 2g, but its olllllddddddd
    11-29-09 11:56 AM
    has anyone got a 3gs and went back to a regualr 3g? or 2g? just wondering......

it scares me to spend so much on a phone and then something happen and i cant jailbreak. i love my 2g, but its olllllddddddd
    There's NO instance in which you'll EVER get a phone you can't jailbreak AND unlock. If you you're happy with your 2g why get a 3gs?
    11-29-09 12:14 PM
    There's NO instance in which you'll EVER get a phone you can't jailbreak AND unlock. If you you're happy with your 2g why get a 3gs?
    well i do like the speed increase. the only thing that pisses me off about the iphone is the No multitasking, so with the 3gs and "backgrounder" running ill be ok, but i can only do so much with the 2g and the minimal 128 meg ram...

thats the main reason....
    11-29-09 01:00 PM
    You also need to remember that there is another common problem with an unlocked
    3GS. Anytime you turn the phone off and back on, or reboot the phone, the WiFi
    won't connect. It takes a few shut offs and ons to get it to come back on.

I used TMO for a week and was using my 3GS unlocked and to tell you the
    truth it was a terrible experience. I hated the Wifi issue and I hated that
    when not around Wifi I had to rely on EDGE speeds. I just went back to AT&T.
    11-29-09 01:03 PM

i have never had 3g, so i really dont mind EDGE. i use it at work and im happy with it...that is really not an issue. just want to make sure i dont spend alot of money and cant use it...
    11-29-09 01:06 PM
    Then the issue you're probably going to run into is the Wi-Fi thing. If you don't
    really use Wi-Fi then you should be fine.

Remember if you get it to unlock the APN since you're on TMO. Stickied at the
    top of this forum.
    11-29-09 01:08 PM
    Then the issue you're probably going to run into is the Wi-Fi thing. If you don't
    really use Wi-Fi then you should be fine.

Remember if you get it to unlock the APN since you're on TMO. Stickied at the
    top of this forum.
    sorry, i said that wrong, i DO use WIFI, but when i am on EDGE its not that bad. i have just never had 3g.....but when im home i do use WIFI
    11-29-09 01:16 PM

Is this common? I didn't have any problems with my unlocked 3Gs. I think this depends on the unlock method, this was never a problem with pwnagetool.

11-29-09 01:43 PM
    Is this common? I didn't have any problems with my unlocked 3Gs. I think this depends on the unlock method, this was never a problem with pwnagetool.

ultrasn0w for blackra1n on 3.1.2

I did research on it and found out it was pretty much a common issue.
    11-29-09 01:47 PM
    ultrasn0w for blackra1n on 3.1.2

I did research on it and found out it was pretty much a common issue.
    blacksn0w is the unlock tool for 3.1.2 ultrasn0w was for the 4.x and below basebands. I'm using ultrasn0w and have never had a wifi problem. Maybe I'm just lucky
    11-29-09 03:44 PM
    blacksn0w is the unlock tool for 3.1.2 ultrasn0w was for the 4.x and below basebands. I'm using ultrasn0w and have never had a wifi problem. Maybe I'm just lucky
    Actually I meant blacksn0w for the unlock. Blackra1n is for the jailbreak.
    11-29-09 03:50 PM
    ya any is good.
    11-30-09 03:00 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD