Well here is my 2 cents... Apple is using intel chipsets with its Mac computers I'm sure Intel is pushing to catch up and have a mobile processor that can compete with the others out there and with that Intel is one of the big money investors in WiMax so being as it may i cant say that Apple would not look at WiMax for the next phone along with Sprint for a possible carrier. Sprint still has cash and spends it freely and I'm sure they could make apple an offer they cant refuse.. they paid 40 billion for Nextel.. I will say this I own a iPhone 3gs along with 6 members of my immediate family and I have never been so mad about coverage as I am with at&t right now it is terrible I have Sprint for my business and it is far... far more reliable that the at&t network and whats sad is I am in Dallas a huge at&t area their head quarters are here... all I can think is that apple is not happy with the limits that at&t has on them from not being able to stream video to many other issues, with Sprint apple could pretty much really.. really push the limits for the next iPhone because Sprint would offer no resistance due to them getting basically a company saving phone.. Sprint has really improved their customer service they still have a way to go but it is a far cry from 2 years ago last time i dealt with them.. and ill end with this with sprint Apple can get phones into the hands of people that well.. lets just say wouldn't qualify for a plan with at&t Sprint has a no deposit plan to set up it just sets spending limits... and let me tell you there are millions of people that want iPhone that just cant pay the huge deposit at&t and Verizon requires... anyway just my opinion
    Good Post!
    01-16-10 09:55 PM
    that would be cool if sprint got the iphone. i have no complaints about the device, is just att service is sooo terrible!
    01-16-10 10:03 PM
    Sprint will never get the Iphone, just like Sprint will never get the BB storm.
    Sprint has the only 4g network, true? Sprint has built itself to dominate the data network. The Iphone is a data hog by far.
    Just unadulterated Facts:

According to recent surveys conducted by Engaget, PC World and numerous other entities, Sprint has the fastested 3G download speeds and second fastest upload speeds.

As we all know Sprint is the only carrier with a 4G network, so we don�t need to make any comparisons, other than claim that they are 4 to 12 times faster than 3G speeds.

Sprint has twice ATT�s 3G coverage and 14 times T-mobiles 3G coverage. Where Sprint lacks 3G they roam onto Verizon�s coverage, however this is not necessary in most cases.

Sprint �Everything Mobile� Plan at $69.99 or $42.5 for a family of four is still by far the best deal to date any carrier has to offer.

Contrary to popular belief, Sprint purchase of Nextel was not in vain, what they acquired was a whole load of 2.5Ghz spectrum which is being utilized for their next generation platform, Wimax 4G. If you believe, like I do, that the next spurt of growth in the wireless world is in Data, then it would be safe to say that Sprint is sitting on a whole load of gold. It is my understanding that they have as much as 150 in most metropolitan areas in the USA.

On another note, the Verizon spin-masters, out of lack of 4G, would like you to believe that their LTE 4G is superior to Sprint�s Wimax. Well lets put it straight, Sprint�s Wimax is here and it kills the competition because their is none. When Verizon does complete its LTE 4G, Sprint will be in the process of upgrading its Wimax (IEEE 802.16e) to Wimax 2 (IEEE 802.16m), which has clocked data download speeds as high as 1Gbs.

Three years ago Sprint had nothing to counter the iPhone, two years ago they had nothing to counter the iPhone, a year ago they still had nothing to counter the iPhone and it wasn�t until they introduced the Palm Pre that they were able to make a legitimate claim that they had a smartphone that could emulate the iPhone. Today, Sprint has a repertoire of smartphones that can claim technologies that are superior on their phones to that of the iPhone and thanks to their new Wimax platform they will have far superior phones to match anything the Apple and ATT duo have to offer.

Next quarter Sprint will be introducing the HTC Supersonic, which is a Android based Wimax 4G phone, catapulting it way ahead of anything Apple will be able to do for any carrier, unless Apple decides to introduce a 4G Wimax version for Sprint.

On another note, even if Verizon is able to deploy their LTE 4G by 2011, their LTE eco-system, unlike that of Wimax�s eco-system, is far from being tested anywhere in the world. Wimax on the other hand is deployed in at least 146 countries with over 500 carriers. Its eco-system is well developed and its deployments are growing exponentially.

Last but not least, Sprint mgmt. has taken the drastic steps necessary to keep the company solvent. As of last quarter the company had $5.9 billion in Cash, $2.1 billion in Free Cash Flow for the year. In the Q4 period they completed their purchase of Virgin Mobile and iPCS, which added over 5 million Pre Paid users and eliminated a costly lawsuit with iPCS that had hamstrung Sprint in its deployments of necessary upgrades in iPCS areas.

Sprint�s Q1 2010 will be the first quarter that Sprint starts with a selection of smart phones that can match ATT and Verizon. They now have WebOS, Android and Windows based phones in their portfolio and soon will be the only carrier to carry a repertoire of 4G phones from HTC, Palm and Samsung.
    03-20-10 06:37 PM
    I think that Snoring will always be solidly third in the carrier battles. But that Is ok. I like their pricing and I like their coverage. I don't really care for the iPhone at this point, as long as they keep up with good Android and BlackBerry devices, I am good.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-10 07:14 PM
    Wow.

Breaking out the Sprint pompoms WONT change the MOSt important fact.

Sprint ONLY has 29 million CDMA customers, about 1/3 that of ATT. Its about phone sales, not the network. If they cant sell enough phones then the cost to R&D it and build them isnt worth it in the end. At a 10-20 percent user saturation, thats only 3-6 million phones that people will buy total. ATT can sell 3 million in a few weeks and have a bigger user base to sell to. 10-20% of their user base is more like 7.5-15 million units.

If they arent building a VZW iphone which is CDMA too, there is a slim to none chance Sprint will be offering one. Sprint doesnt have enough customers to make a separate version of the iphone, nor NEAR enough WIMAX customers and coverage to offer a 4G iphone. Clearwire only has about 600,000 subscribers TOTAL on WIMAX.

Apple wants big sales and big returns for them, thats all they care about
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-20-10 at 07:32 PM.
    03-20-10 07:26 PM
    Does anyone even know for a fact that the iPhone will become exclusive with another carrier once Apple's deal with AT&T is up? The iPhone 4G may just pull a Nexus One and be released on all carriers. Google seems to be ramping up to be Apple's biggest competitor, so hopefully Apple will fight fire with fire. That way we can all get some of the iPhone action.
    03-21-10 01:14 PM
    No one knows when or even if itll leave ATT/GSM. Maybe Tmo will pick it up and itll stay just GSM. No one knows the answer, but right now making a CDMA phone seems kind of silly when LTE is right around the corner.
    03-21-10 01:38 PM
    No one knows when or even if itll leave ATT/GSM. Maybe Tmo will pick it up and itll stay just GSM. No one knows the answer, but right now making a CDMA phone seems kind of silly when LTE is right around the corner.
    If they're redesigning the whole phone, why would it be silly to make it CDMA? And yes LTE is right around the corner, but WiMAX is already here - so if Apple wants 4G speed this summer the only carrier choice they have is Sprint
    03-21-10 06:01 PM
    Read what I said above, there are a TOTAL of about 600,000 WIMAX subscribers right now. Sprint ONLY has 29 million CDMA customers. And WIMAX is ONLY in a few cities. Thats not exactly a huge draw for the top selling phone to sell big numbers

They basically screwed themselves going WIMAX for 4G since no one else in the US is going that route, its a proprietary technology like IDEN that no one else uses, so making a whole other device instead of just one device (LTE) makes no sense if you cant sell a crap load of them.

Why R&D and build a phone to sell a million or 2 total?

It would be silly to build a CDMA ONLY phone because CDMA for data is on its way out and 4G coming in. Itd make zero sense to build a 3G CDMA EVDO phone at this point. VZW is going LTE around the end of the year into next year, and ATT a few months after, so if anything youd see a CDMA/LTE phone LONG before a CDMA/WIMAX phone.

VZW has a lot more money and subscribers to offer Apple to build that phone, and Sprint doesnt use the same 4G technology. IF VZW isnt getting one, odds are there arent any plans for a CDMA model anytime soon because VZW would be first on the list to get it.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-21-10 at 06:34 PM.
    03-21-10 06:19 PM
    Read what I said above, there are a TOTAL of about 600,000 WIMAX subscribers right now. Sprint ONLY has 29 million CDMA customers. And WIMAX is ONLY in a few cities. Thats not exactly a huge draw for the top selling phone to sell big numbers

They basically screwed themselves going WIMAX for 4G since no one else in the US is going that route, its a proprietary technology like IDEN that no one else uses, so making a whole other device instead of just one device (LTE) makes no sense if you cant sell a crap load of them.

Why R&D and build a phone to sell a million or 2 total?

It would be silly to build a CDMA ONLY phone because CDMA for data is on its way out and 4G coming in. Itd make zero sense to build a 3G CDMA EVDO phone at this point. VZW is going LTE around the end of the year into next year, and ATT a few months after, so if anything youd see a CDMA/LTE phone LONG before a CDMA/WIMAX phone.

VZW has a lot more money and subscribers to offer Apple to build that phone, and Sprint doesnt use the same 4G technology. IF VZW isnt getting one, odds are there arent any plans for a CDMA model anytime soon because VZW would be first on the list to get it.
    The "600,000 WIMAX subscribers" are data card subscribers, not phone subscribers. There are no WiMAX phone subscribers because there is no WiMAX phone yet. Obviously that number will go up when a WiMAX phone is released since many more people use cell phones than data cards.

The new iPhone is expected to come out the same time of year the previous models did, around summer, correct? What would really be "silly" is to have an LTE iPhone with zero LTE network in place. Sprint already has many major cities with WiMAX coverage, so if the iPhone wanted to be cutting edge they could make it support 3G and 4G.

But I do see what you're saying with the "It would be silly to build a CDMA ONLY phone because CDMA for data is on its way out and 4G coming in." Only a very stupid and unsuccessful company would do such a thing. For example, Google just announced the Nexus One in CDMA only versions for Sprint and Verizon. And we all know that company is going nowhere fast.

You do realize that it takes time to rollout a new network technology, right? There's no magical switch that is flipped to change the entire country over from 3G to 4G. If that were the case Sprint would have 4G coverage nationwide right now. 3G phones will still be coming out for quite a while.
    03-21-10 09:10 PM
    Thats the point, its not a switch, hence why I dont think there will be a CDMA/4G iphone anytime soon.

And big deal, they add a few more to 600,000. They still dont have nearly a big enough customer base that its worthwhile to Apple fro what Apple has shown. 29 million subs isnt a lot, even if you get 10-20% of those people to buy one. Sprint also doesnt have enough $$$$ to offer Apple likely for what Apple gets from ATT.

The Nexus means very little its sold a whopping 135,000 units total in 74 days. The iphone probably sold that in 5 min, and the ipad in a few hours. Thats small fries.

Well call Apple stupid and unsuccessful then because I dont see them wasting resources on a CDMA-only phone. By this time next year VZW will have more LTE coverage than Sprint has WIMAX now. And with ATT using LTE too, it makes integration of the hardware a LOT easier.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-21-10 at 10:46 PM.
    03-21-10 10:36 PM
    Found this article just thought i share with you guys. Rumor: iPhone to T-Mobile? | Todays iPhone
    03-22-10 12:40 AM
    Yeah, I really doubt Apple will switch to Sprint this year.
    03-22-10 01:21 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD