Hello everyone,

Just wanted to share this with you. About a week ago, my brother who has a line on my account finally saved up some money and bought him an iPhone and gave me some money towards the data costs. He's been bugging for a year but I refused to let him get one because of the data and since I'm paying the phone bill.....

Anyhow, he got a job now and he's 17 so I figured I'd trust him (for now) so he bought an original iPhone for 100 off craiglist and gave me 50 bucks to start off for his data. So I tell him, I gotta call AT&T to add the data plan. So after speaking with AT&T they had no choice but to give him the unlimited 20 dollar plan because that's the only one that works with the original iPhone. So yesterday, my brother comes back and tells me he sold the original iPhone he just bought for 120 and bought a 3G for 150. So I tell him I gotta call AT&T and get them to switch the data plan again. So I call AT&T and they ask me if I want to stick to the unlimited, so I say "oh, I didn't now I could". They said as long as you have an unlimited plan already you can switch to any other unlimited.

So his line never had data until last week and now he has unlimited data on his 3G. Just wanted to share because I found it pretty interesting.
    07-28-10 02:45 PM
    Looks like you inadvertently stumbled onto the 2G to unlimited data loophole. There have been a few posts about this on other boards.

I'd think that at some point AT&T will close this loophole; they probably haven't done so yet as they need to keep some mechanism for owners of the original iphone to migrate to unlimited data plans. Maybe at some point they'll start looking at when the original 2G iphone is placed on the account. I doubt they'll retroactively nail anyone who's used the loophole but this is just speculation on my part.

Glad it worked out for your brother.
    07-28-10 03:53 PM
    The $20 data plan works on all iPhone's doesn't it?
    07-28-10 04:10 PM
    im unsure about that. because the iphone2g doesn't support 3G. so you might be stuck on EDGE instead of 3G. OR if you do get 3G don't be surprised if you get some charges on your bill. LOL
    07-28-10 04:43 PM
    I'm sure they'd eventually find out. I'm just wondering if the OG iPhone data plan
    would really restrict 3G though.
    07-28-10 04:50 PM
    The $20 data plan works on all iPhone's doesn't it?
    Didn't work for us. When he put his SIM card in, he said he couldn't do anything Internet related anymore. The original iPhone wasn't provisioned as a smartphone in AT&T's system so I'm not sure if this data plan will work for phones that are now considered smartphones. If it does, you can bet that you will get a text within a couple of days telling you that you are on the wrong data plan for the phone you are using.
    07-28-10 04:54 PM
    Didn't work for us. When he put his SIM card in, he said he couldn't do anything Internet related anymore. The original iPhone wasn't provisioned as a smartphone in AT&T's system so I'm not sure if this data plan will work for phones that are now considered smartphones. If it does, you can bet that you will get a text within a couple of days telling you that you are on the wrong data plan for the phone you are using.
    I think all someone would need to do is unlock the APN like in the sticky thread
    on top of this forum.
    07-28-10 05:12 PM
    I think all someone would need to do is unlock the APN like in the sticky thread
    on top of this forum.
    That may be true but my brother and I are in different states and he isn't very tech savvy so wasn't even thinking about that. But I know it didn't work just by simply putting in the SIM card.
    07-28-10 05:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD