To all those on here who have switched from a BlackBerry to an iPhone was it an easy or a hard decision? Right now I have a BlackBerry Tour 9630 which I very much enjoy, however I have always been intrigued with the iPhone and had Bell started selling it when I got the Tour I might have got it instead back in July 2009. Anyway there might a way for me to give the Tour to my dad because his contract with his 8830 World Edition is finished and somehow I would get the iPhone. Now before I make any final decisions about what I want to do I was wondering what is it like going from a keyboard to a touch screen phone when sending text's and etc, because I have never had a touch screen phone. I have also tested out the iPhone while at the Apple Store, although it was more fun just seeing what's like, so obviously I would try typing on a working model in a Bell store. Also what is the best app for Twitter because right now on my Tour I am using UberTwitter, so is there anything on the iPhone which is just as good?
    03-22-10 07:38 PM
    Everyone is going to have different opinions. The best you can do is figure out your needs from a phone and decide of a BB or Iphone fits those demands. Like you already did go to the store and try one out and see if you like it or not.
    I almost made the switch but new I would regret it. Some people like the Iphone while others who have switched regret it. Decide what you need from aphone..BBs are more on the business side while the Iphone is more of a toy.
    You always have 30 days to try out the phone..if you don't like it cancel it...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-10 07:50 PM
    It took me forever to finally decide to switch from my 8330 to the iPhone. I kept going back and forth on whether I should just upgrade to a Bold or get an iPhone. I'd never owned a touch screen before and I was worried about the typing. When I first played with my cousin's iPhone it seemed to take me forever to type something out. But after playing with it some more in the AT&T store I realized that I could get used to typing on it. What also got me thinking about making the switch was the apps. Yes, I got sucked into the hype, but it turns out this phone always keeps me busy because of all these apps. So I made the switch because I wanted more of a multimedia type phone. I loved my iPod and this is the perfect combo for my tastes. I fly on the keyboard now and I actually get bored when I play with my bf's 9700. Lol so it really just depends on if u want a business type phone, where the Blackberry is obviously the best at being and keeping people's lives in order (it did for me anyways), or if u want more of a phone for fun.
    03-22-10 08:03 PM
    And the one thing I miss about Blackberry the most is that BB is definetly better at the apps for Twitter. I loved SocialScope. Best Twitter client IMO and of course the close second UberTwitter. With the iPhone I find myself using Tweetdeck, Tweetie and various other apps just to get by. But nothing beats out SS and UB on Blackberry. I hope my opinion makes sense. A little long winded. Lol
    03-22-10 08:07 PM
    Just my .002 but I have never looked back since making the switch from my old Berry to the iPhone 3GS. IMHO the iPhone is the best smartphone that has ever been made. As far as Twitter apps go Echofon is the best Twitter app that I have used and that is counting Uber and Social Scope. Uber was nice but Echo is better and SS is so slow with updates that I just gave up on it. The only thing that SS did well was having FB and Twitter all in one app, but even that is a non issue on the iPhone as the FB app for iPhone just kills the BB app in every way. In the end you just have to decide for yourself what you really want out of a smartphone and go from there. The only thing that I still think that BB does better is E-Mail and that is just because the email system on the Berry has more features then on the iPhone. Hope that helps and congrats if you make the switch.
    03-22-10 08:29 PM
    I just switched from the Tour to and Iphone because VZ p****d me off. I too was afraid of the touch screen because I had a Storm and didn't like it. But I love this phone it only took me a day to get used to typing on it and now I fly. Good luck on your choice.
    03-22-10 08:41 PM
    I can't use anything but Tweetie 2 anymore. Worth the money.
    03-22-10 09:51 PM
    i initially tried the iphone in december and had it for a few days and it didn't take. i was just too used to BB. i had a storm at the time. went to a 9700 and really liked it but started to have reception problems and whatnot. at the same time i started to rely more heavily on gmail and multiple google calendars to manage my life and hit the limitations with BB.

so i decided to try the iphone again. it took about a week to stop missing certain aspects of the BB (mostly notifications and a useable homescreen) but now i really like the iphone for the most part. battery life sucks relative to the 9700 but i get though a day. hoping OS 4 provides a useable homescreen but other than that, i'm happy. i've found apps to do pretty much everything that i could do on the BB (usually better) and much prefer the mapping, browser etc.

so, if you do try it. give it at least a week to see if it wins you over. a couple of days isn't enough to remove yourself from the BB comfort zone.
    03-22-10 10:06 PM
    To all those on here who have switched from a BlackBerry to an iPhone was it an easy or a hard decision? Right now I have a BlackBerry Tour 9630 which I very much enjoy, however I have always been intrigued with the iPhone and had Bell started selling it when I got the Tour I might have got it instead back in July 2009. Anyway there might a way for me to give the Tour to my dad because his contract with his 8830 World Edition is finished and somehow I would get the iPhone. Now before I make any final decisions about what I want to do I was wondering what is it like going from a keyboard to a touch screen phone when sending text's and etc, because I have never had a touch screen phone. I have also tested out the iPhone while at the Apple Store, although it was more fun just seeing what's like, so obviously I would try typing on a working model in a Bell store. Also what is the best app for Twitter because right now on my Tour I am using UberTwitter, so is there anything on the iPhone which is just as good?
    Whatever you do do not get an iPhone! I have a BlackBerry Curve 8350 on Sprint and an iPod touch. I hate the iPod. You can't even download music from the internet. I would reccomend it if Apple didn't block jailbreaks though...

03-22-10 11:26 PM
    Whatever you do do not get an iPhone! I have a BlackBerry Curve 8350 on Sprint and an iPod touch. I hate the iPod. You can't even download music from the internet. I would reccomend it if Apple didn't block jailbreaks though...

Um what? You cAn download music via iTunes easily.

I switched from an 8310 and I don't miss it at all. No worrying about memory issues or slow loading webpages.
    03-23-10 02:03 AM
    I just made the switch and I love my Iphone 3G. Streamline tech, and that is what I like
    03-23-10 02:26 AM
    I didn't exactly make a switch, as I still have my Bold 9700, but yes, I really enjoy my iPhone 3G[s] and the apps on it. I use Twitterific, and find that better than Echofon or Tweetdeck, but then again, the Ubertwitter on my Bold runs well enough too. The only thing that has me still using my BB, is the BB messenger(1), and also, I don't know if it's just the network in Uzbekistan or generally the iphone, but my e-mails don't get pushed immediately, and sometimes, I have to check it manually for them to appear on my Mail, which is kind of a bugger, whereas I never faced such a difficulty with the BB. All in all, it really boils down to, what are you looking for in a phone? We all have different needs, and I don't possess an iPod, so it made good sense to me to get the iPhone 3G[s] when it was released as it took care of my music needs + my phone needs, as the browsing on it is better than any smartphone on the market yet.

And the typing is not really an issue, I thought of that first too, as I really enjoyed the QWERTY feel on the BB but once I started using the iPhone it started getting easier and I made less mistakes and my speed increased too. Obviously, they have apps for that too, like iTypeFast, which did help me out lol

Oh, and the most important one and perhaps, you could say it really influenced me to go ahead for the iPhone was "Skype". It's just amazing, the app for it on iPhone. Works amazingly well, and I waited long enough for them to come up with something on BB but they never did, I read a few forums with apparent Skype ver. for BB under tests, but that was in May 2009 and there still seems to be no news. There might be other apps on BB to take care of that, but they hardly compare to the one on the iPhone.
    Last edited by amarjeet; 03-23-10 at 02:39 AM.
    03-23-10 02:34 AM
    the only thing I could say is try it out. The iPhone is great using it versus a physical keyboard isn't tough at all, and the typing is so much faster and easier for me, since no actual pressing down has to occur. As far as things the device can do it limitless due to the app store. I just say try it out if you don't like it take it back and get a bold 9700. I think you'll like it though it's a fun gadget and there is more to do on it then a blackberry.

Twitter apps are of course better looking and more to do capability wise. But this is due to what capabilities the iPhone has. You have tweetdeck which is a free Twitter client and is amazing a fun. But there are tons better that are .99 in terms of looks and what they offer. Tweetdeck even allows you to follow your facebook account and update your status, and again it's free just like uber Twitter.
    03-23-10 03:04 AM
    Wow, nobody else has suggested Tweetie 2. :\ The best client I've ever used on both Mac and iPhone. Twitterrific is definitely my second favorite client though.

I doubt the switch from physical keyboard to virtual keyboard will be very difficult to adjust to. The virtual keyboard is extremely easy to type on. It's pretty accurate and you barely have to push on the key at all, unlike a physical keyboard.
    03-23-10 03:18 AM
    I made the jump back in Dec from the 9630 and the 9550 and I haven't looked back since. While I do miss BBM just a small bit the threaded SMS/MMS takes car of that

I can't say anything else that hasn't been said except if it's what you want go get it and try it out. The one thing I can is that I'm shocked no one has mentioned Twittelator for their Twitter client, it's free and does just about anything you could ask of it including landscape mode. And then therebis the Pro version which will handle multiple accts and gives you all but the kitchen sink lol
    03-23-10 05:01 AM
    I use tweetie2 just only suggested free app since ubertwitter is free
    03-23-10 07:56 AM
    I made the jump gradually (went from a blackberry, to a touch screen blackberry, to the iphone) but regardless I couldn't be happier. The iPhone truly does have unheard of capabilities - it's an amazing device. And the keyboard is very good with predictive text - so even if you start off a little rough (in the typing department) then it'll just fix the mistakes for you!

I really recommend moving to the iPhone - I couldn't be happier.

Oh, and +1 for Tweetie 2 - although I'm not a Twitter person, my friends (with iPhones) that are swear by it.
    03-23-10 08:07 AM
    Iphone is a great device. I am sure the 4th gen will set the standard once again.
    03-23-10 09:08 AM
    I think that everyone deserves to own an iphone at least once. If you never get it, you will always wonder about it. Do yourself a favor, try it. Its never a bad decision to try your hand at an iphone.
    03-23-10 09:33 AM
    Iphone is a great device. I am sure the 4th gen will set the standard once again.
    I definitely agree
    03-23-10 10:00 AM
    I am getting ready to get rid of my iphone.
    Just seems lately the dropped calls, or hitting the recall "call failed" button is getting to bad, or the all so cool underwater talking.

Yes to all those that are gonna say update, blah blah i have,did and do. My fiance, and a good 5 friends are all having the same problem.
    03-23-10 10:11 AM
    I would suggest that you go to the Apple store and check on the return requirements. If you can return it without paying any fees or penalties, I would suggest trying one out.

Some people willl tell you it's the best device ever. Others return it within the 30 days like I did. The point is that only you can decide whether the device is a good fit for you or not. It was definitely not a good fit for me, but it is for others.

Try it out. You will either get it out of your system or keep it and be thrilled with it. Only you can determine what works for you.
    03-23-10 11:56 AM
    I am getting ready to get rid of my iphone.
    Just seems lately the dropped calls, or hitting the recall "call failed" button is getting to bad, or the all so cool underwater talking.

Yes to all those that are gonna say update, blah blah i have,did and do. My fiance, and a good 5 friends are all having the same problem.
    It's so funny when I hear complaints like this. To me this seems like an ATT issue and not an iPhone issue, I have never had any issues with dropped calls on my iPhone so I can only assume that it really is a network issue.
    03-23-10 01:02 PM
    I apologize for not reading all the posts before me; but here is my 10 cents on the subject:

first ask yourself a few questions.

Question 1. When you got your first BB was it the most amazing phone you've ever owned?
    Question 2. Do you use your phone for more buisiness, or pleasure?
    Question 3. Are you ready for pretty terrible battery life? (if you use it like I do, your phone will hit about 15% with brightness at about 15%, 3g off, etc etc.)
    Question 4. Are you ready for a completely touch screen phone? I mean the iPhone has basically 3 buttons that are funtional. the apple button, the lock button, and the mute button.
    Question 5. Probably the most important.. What phone do YOU want to use? Do you love your BB? does the thought of not having a BB make you qweezy?

Answer those question, and the phone you want and/or need should become extremely apparent.

Hopefully I helped you somewhat.

DJ Spaded

03-23-10 01:05 PM
    Switch now!!
    03-23-10 02:56 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD