I love the mindless Blackberry vs. iPhone debates all over the forums, and elsewhere on the internet. I've read many iPhone fans' comments (mostly negative) towards Blackberry devices, especially the Storm.

In defense of Blackberry, I'll say this to help out people who are on the fence and are confused about both devices:

I've been using Blackberrys and iPhones for a very, very long time. I've used both of them day-to-day. In fact, I had the iPhone the first day it came out and waited days until the first command-line unlock was released. I was and still am a huge Apple fan. I currently own both devices. Apple iPhone 1st gen and the Blackberry 9000. Yes it's no 3GS (not "3G S" for all you knuckleheads out there) but let's face it, the 3GS isn't worlds different. I have tried the 3GS out in the store... it is extremely nice and peppier than the old phone. But the functions, of course, are primarily the same. Which is good. Why change a successful formula?

iPhones are great, they're fun, they're creative and well built (except for those few that have had issues with the screen developing spots or deadzones) but truly they cannot compare with the efficiency and effectiveness of Blackberrys.

E-mail, SMS, and dare I say typing are all lightning quick on QWERTY Rim devices (except the god-forsaken storm). I can do pretty much anything on my Blackberry with a quick draw from my belt-holster as if I was having a showdown at the OK-corral. Push e-mail is instant-fast. I highlight a name, menu>e-mail then double-click the trackball. Literally a second later, the e-mail is sent. I can e-mail decently quick on the iPhone but nowhere near as fast on the RIM device. No-brainer right? No one would dare argue the speed and efficiency of a RIM device. The main part--the speaker and speakerphone are of first rate quality and are super loud and super clear. If phones are made to talk on and communicate with, Blackberry wins hands down.

On the other hand, Blackberrys just aren't as fun. Their web browsing sucks major apples and are nowhere near as polished or effective as the iPhones browser. The iPhone has a plethora of better games, better video and music handling (though the Bold's 480x320 screen just looks MAGNIFICENT probably due to the pixels being confined to a smaller space than the Apple device). But to sum it up, the iPhones just a lot more fun to use.

Blackberrys will help you get your point across however you want whenever you want as much as you want with absolutely no fuss. You can e-mail, SMS, and be on AIM as much as you want with damn near 100% reliability and speed. I mean get this: with Blackberry you can actually multi-task! Wow!

iPhones? Efficiency and communication takes a backseat to looks, games, and fun. Which there is absolutely nothing wrong with. It's an iPod that you can also use as a phone. Certainly not bad for Apple's first stab at a phone. Apple please add multitasking and a real set of speakers then we'll talk.
    06-29-09 06:06 PM
    Would you say an iPod Touch & BlackBerry smartphone is a good combo? I currently have the former and am concerned if I should just consolidate my phone and music, but I don't mind carrying two devices.
    06-29-09 10:06 PM
    I am one that has had every BlackBerry from the 7290 (8700, All curves; CDMA and GSM, curve 8900, Storm, Bold, Pearl) and all the iPhones (2G, 3G & 3GS). And yes, there is a difference. The 3Gs definitely makes a difference.

Well.. I can tell you that I can definitely type faster, but then again, does this really matter to be 2 seconds faster or slower? Not many instances do I need to be quick on the draw...

Email, SMS/MMS and Email are 100% reliable for me on the iPhone, not sure how this differs from the BlackBerry, except for the iPhone being true threaded messaging.

Efficiency? I get that with the iPhone more than my Bold. I can type books with my iPhone. On my Bold, I start getting cramps in my hands after one paragraph because of the need to press down on the button.

Speakerphone... I agree with this, but Apple couldn't take everything; they had to leave the competition with something to brag about. "Hey my speakerphone is louder than yours"
    06-29-09 10:55 PM
    Just came to the iPhone 3G S from the Bold. I must say say I really do miss all of the shortcuts you can utilize with the physical keyboard. Other than that, I find both phones to be equally efficient.
    06-29-09 11:10 PM
    I have both the 3GS and the Bold. I can type much faster on the iPhone than I can on the Bold. I'm not slow on the hardware qwerty either. Email for me is the same on the Bold as it is with the iPhone. Plus the iPhones true HTML email. "push" for me is just as fast.

Now I had the 3G before I bought the 3GS, and I can dfinitely tell the diffence. The speed is amazingly quick. Safari pages render much faster. The OS feel even smother than it already was. Plus the camera for people who use it is very good quality. I also find the call quality of this phone to be very good.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-09 12:15 AM
    I have both too, love the iphone but I have to do email on the blackberry. with multiple email accounts I just can't adjust to email on the iphone. it's not as easy to delete or go through. no combined message box, no twitter application like yatca which puts it in with messages etc.
    06-30-09 01:15 PM
    I have both too, love the iphone but I have to do email on the blackberry. with multiple email accounts I just can't adjust to email on the iphone. it's not as easy to delete or go through. no combined message box, no twitter application like yatca which puts it in with messages etc.
    How can yo not delete things quicker on the iPhone? you swipe to the right and press the red delete that pops up.. it doesnt get any faster than that!
    07-01-09 04:05 AM
    I am one that has had every BlackBerry from the 7290 (8700, All curves; CDMA and GSM, curve 8900, Storm, Bold, Pearl) and all the iPhones (2G, 3G & 3GS). And yes, there is a difference. The 3Gs definitely makes a difference.

Well.. I can tell you that I can definitely type faster, but then again, does this really matter to be 2 seconds faster or slower? Not many instances do I need to be quick on the draw...

Email, SMS/MMS and Email are 100% reliable for me on the iPhone, not sure how this differs from the BlackBerry, except for the iPhone being true threaded messaging.

Efficiency? I get that with the iPhone more than my Bold. I can type books with my iPhone. On my Bold, I start getting cramps in my hands after one paragraph because of the need to press down on the button.

Speakerphone... I agree with this, but Apple couldn't take everything; they had to leave the competition with something to brag about. "Hey my speakerphone is louder than yours"
    Duvi you rock. I can type literally as fast as my thumbs can move on the iphone with no fear of being inaccurate of messing up a word. I absolutely FLY on the iPhone. and browser speed are you kidding?? my 3GS is so ungodly fast its not fair at all to compare any RIM product. My email is awesome, i have a Gmail account and a student account i manage very easily with the iPhone so no complaints there. I just dont understand, apple makes the better product there is no question about it. How can people using BB's not see that? I an type faster, find information quicker, and work more efficeiently with my iPhone than any RIM product ive ever used (8300, 8800, 9000, & 9530). I guess the iPhone is a piece because its speakerphone is a little quieter than the BB's, sorry apple. lmao
    07-01-09 04:11 AM
    I like to be online on my diffrnt IM paltforms. My berries allow me to do that. With the iphone, no. You can't even continue your game on the iphone when an sms arrive and you have to read it. I've had two iphones already and i am a huge apple fan.I only use mac at home and at work so apple fanboys, don't bash me. We are on the same side of the fence.
    07-01-09 07:29 AM
    I upgraded to the iPhone 3G S the day it was released and just yesterday converted back to my Bold. I average over 600 emails a day for work alone and another 100+ or so personal. Trying to type on the iPhone as fast as my Bold just wasn't cutting it and due to the limit's of the email tones, there were MANY times I missed emails over that time period because I didn't hear them.

Sure it's GREAT with EVERYTHING else but the emails. I loved everything about it and if it wasn't for dealing with the amount of emails that I need to deal with each day, I would've kept using it. My wife loves her 3G iPhone and it's attached to her hand even when sleeping most of the time. But then again she doesn't do but maybe 10 emails a week and being a stay at home mom, she doesn't need it for much more then scheduling for the kids and her stuff.

I'm keeping the 3G S as a backup and even though it doesn't work because of the SIM, I still have WiFi enabled on it and use it for surfing the web, posting to twitter, facebook, etc when I'm at home and at work. Emails and calls are handled by the Bold.
    07-01-09 09:22 AM
    I love them both, but I agree with the majority here... I really feel that Apple has the upper hand here. The Bold evolved from other BBs before it; the iPhone evolved from Macs and iPods, so it's not like Apple was starting from scratch in the first place, and they nailed it anyway. The only thing that puzzles me and I'm sure many others are the simple limitations that the iPhone has (MMS, mark as read, video recording, etc..) although most are gradually being phased out with OS and hardware updates... In some respects though it does make sense for Apple - they started with potential instead of the full blown superstar, which allows them to add simple things to each OS and hardware update and have people rushing to get the newest thing.
    07-01-09 10:47 AM
    Why do you have an iPhone and a Bold? Why don't you just get the Bold and an iPod touch?

Apple definitely has the upper hand. I'd say "It was a nice try for Apple's first phone" is an understatement.
    07-01-09 10:49 AM
    Why do you have an iPhone and a Bold? Why don't you just get the Bold and an iPod touch?

Apple definitely has the upper hand. I'd say "It was a nice try for Apple's first phone" is an understatement.
    Because you need wifi for anything data related?
    07-01-09 10:55 AM

You asking why have both, lol I have all 3 (Bold, iPhone and iPod). And yes, that is an understatement.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-09 11:25 AM
    I like to be online on my diffrnt IM paltforms. My berries allow me to do that. With the iphone, no. You can't even continue your game on the iphone when an sms arrive and you have to read it. I've had two iphones already and i am a huge apple fan.I only use mac at home and at work so apple fanboys, don't bash me. We are on the same side of the fence.
    its called IM+ with push and BeeJive with push.. both work fantastic.
    07-01-09 11:53 AM
    Hmm, I had a Curve, a Pearl, and a Storm and now have an iPhone 3GS which so far is pretty good. As it pertains to being "purpose built" the BB wins hands down. It multitasks, it is way more customizable as it pertains to notifiations, it is easy to use, and is reliable.

The iPhone, in truth, isn't all that bad. I use my phone for corporate email, ~ 50/day so not ridiculously heavy, and listen to a fair amount of music on the device. Email wise, while I initially missed being able to specify each and every notification, I've adapted.

Productivity wise, I receive all of my appointments, emails, and contacts wirelessly. I did however, purchase Documents to Go to allow saving and editing documents and for attachments. Once that was complete, I really don't have a reason to go back to a BB.

Battery life has been good, 6 am until ~ 10 pm with 45% battery life remaining is good enough for me. On travel days, I'll use a battery booster and the rest, for me, is reasonably minor. Also, the iPhone costs $10 less a month as it works on the standard data plan vs. an Enterprise Plan for the BB.

If rates were to drop or match I would probably snag an 8900 or a Bold work/play however, the iPhone 3GS is truly capable in my humble opinion.

- E
    07-01-09 01:19 PM
    I had an iPhone, I switched to a Bold last week. My iPhone almost never had service, the speaker was terrible and I dropped calls all the time. I used to think it was AT&T's bad service but now with the Bold I haven't lost service yet... for what the Bold is... a phone first, it defeats the iPhone hands down.
    07-01-09 06:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD