iPhone OS 4: Why It's Time to Choose a Different Phone | Business Hacks | BNET

So I found this article in the nytimes (one of my favorite iPad sites), and the journalist was explaining iAds. Now I don't know if he was 100% accurate in his assessment of how the iAds will work. I'm also not sure if there will be an on off button for these ads but if not this could be a deal breaker. Not for your average user but maybe for a gadget geek like myself. (but does my purchase really matter among the millions of iPhones that will surely be sold probably not!!!). Check out the article and tell me what you all think about iAds.
    04-16-10 03:43 AM
    I thought this topic wrote" I don't think I'm going to like Aids"
    04-16-10 05:16 AM
    From the description of "iAds" in the documentation I think its going to be as popular as Aids.

I know there are banner ads on the iPhone OS and Android on a lot of the free apps now, which is one motivator to purchase the app, to get rid of the annoying banner and continue to support the developer.

To make iAds a core part of the OS with the ability to have banner ads on everything is going to far. Personally, I got rid of the iPhone because of apples ethos rather than the iPhone being a bad platform. I have just been convinced to stay away.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-10 05:25 AM
    I'm not looking forward to this form of 'forceful advertising'. I for one already tend to just pay for an app just to NOT have to deal with ads. But, this almost sounds like the popups that were forced upon us via Internet Explorer etc.

Nonetheless, I'll be quick to replace said free apps that have ads to a paid version (if they have one)...
    04-16-10 08:44 AM
    From the description of "iAds" in the documentation I think its going to be as popular as Aids.

I know there are banner ads on the iPhone OS and Android on a lot of the free apps now, which is one motivator to purchase the app, to get rid of the annoying banner and continue to support the developer.

To make iAds a core part of the OS with the ability to have banner ads on everything is going to far. Personally, I got rid of the iPhone because of apples ethos rather than the iPhone being a bad platform. I have just been convinced to stay away.

lol, I'm glad I'm not the only one that will be calling it Aids... lol
    04-16-10 09:06 AM
    There's a cost for everything and as most of you guys i am not pleased that i will be forced ads which i completely dislike. I picture one day ads will be soo annoying i'll be on a call and i will get some sort of ad cutting it until i see/listen to it.
    04-16-10 09:27 AM
    No way....are you serious?
    So if I buy an app, when I use it there will be a pseudocommercial built into it...can it be turned off?
    04-16-10 10:19 AM
    I honestly don't care. They're are ads now, they're will be ads in 4.0. Just targeted. Big deal
    04-16-10 10:36 AM
    I was under the impression that only free apps would have ads, and that they would just sit there like the ads do now, the only difference is that when they are iAds you click on them they are part of the App you are in. So instead of the leaving the app and going to the browser you get to stay in your app and not lose whatever you were doing. That was my understanding, i could be wrong though.
    04-16-10 10:47 AM
    I thought this topic wrote" I don't think I'm going to like Aids"
    Lmfao me too!
    04-16-10 10:52 AM
    The article is BS, the ads are for free apps, and the take a whopping 1/4 of an inch at the top of the screen like current apps. I never heard Jobs say EVERY app will have an ad- #1 its the devs choice to put it in and; #2 it seems to be a revenue builder to offer more free apps or lower priced apps. Ive NEVER heard anything about it being system-level, just that its a CHOICE to include in an app to build more revenue.

Watch the iphone 4.0 keynote (get it through itunes) and youll see how it works.

Personally I dont care either way, the ads are VERY small at the top of the app, and if it allows apps to be cut in price then great, especially the more expensive apps running $10-15+. They dont do anything more than now unless you decide to click it.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-16-10 at 12:46 PM.
    04-16-10 12:40 PM
    I got ads not in a bunch of my apps and it isn't a dealbreaker yet. I think some people are jumping the gun. Let's see how it actually works before we say it's time to move on to another platform.
    04-16-10 01:09 PM
    Since it's up to the developers on whether they want to have the ads or not, I'm
    sure we're going to see more of them in free apps. Personally I hate banner ads,
    no matter how small they are or are described to be. Taking 1/4 of an inch is still
    annoying to ME.

We'll see what comes out of this though.
    04-16-10 05:01 PM
    Since it's up to the developers on whether they want to have the ads or not, I'm
    sure we're going to see more of them in free apps. Personally I hate banner ads,
    no matter how small they are or are described to be. Taking 1/4 of an inch is still
    annoying to ME.

We'll see what comes out of this though.
    Yup... 1/4 is a lot of real estate. If this was 1/4 on the iPad, this may not be as annoying, but I'm already cramped on the iPhone as it is, no need to make it worse.
    04-16-10 05:26 PM
    Yup... 1/4 is a lot of real estate. If this was 1/4 on the iPad, this may not be as annoying, but I'm already cramped on the iPhone as it is, no need to make it worse.
    At least they'll be better than AdMob. I hate accidentally tapping on them and having the app exit.

04-16-10 09:17 PM
    At least they'll be better than AdMob. I hate accidentally tapping on them and having the app exit.

If you touch the ad by accident and it takes you out of the app, then that's on the developer. Devs can include an in-app browser so leaving the app won't be necessary. I have words with friends and when I hit an ad, I get an option to go view the ad or skip it. I think the difference will be that you'll be able to make ads more interactive within the app vs. having to leave to interact with it.
    04-16-10 11:03 PM
    I mean lets face it, lots of the free apps out there already have the top banner ad which helps them stay free. The other group of devs just do it for the notoriety or a sincere desire to help the community and have no ads and still let their apps be free.

I dont see much changing, other than the way the ads interact and wont leave the app by default now. I dont see a much higher percentage of apps taking on ads than they do now just for the heck of it.
    04-16-10 11:26 PM
    It's a showstopper, I have a massive objection to the concept. My charges for roaming data are already extortionate, there is No Way I will accept useless advertising data inflating the costs.

This really makes the choice simple - iPhone goes on the permanent blacklist. If someone wants to send me an iPhone send a return label or it goes to landfill.
    04-17-10 07:18 AM
    I think I am not going to like iAds either.
    04-17-10 08:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD