I have not had my iphone for even a month yet, I thought at first it was just the new apps I was adding that would quit and make my phone return to the home screen....but now it is anything and everything, I could be looking at the stock wallpapers and all the sudden....Home Screen. Browsing the internet.....Home Screen. From what I have read this is a common problem with no fix soon in sight
    10-09-08 07:40 AM
    that's why you get a BB

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-08 07:50 AM
    Hmmm I thought this issue was fixed with an update a month ago.
    I assume that you already did a full restore. And make sure your software has all of the latest updates.
    If so and you still have this problem, I'd return the iphone for a new one.
    10-09-08 08:17 AM
    You haven't exchanged it yet? This isn't a common problem. I have had maybe one crash in the past month where the app went into the home screen.
    10-09-08 09:08 AM
    Please be sure that the window you choose is at least on the 4th floor.

10-09-08 09:09 AM
    That doesn't sound good - I've heard of problems with people NOT being able to return to the iPhones home screen - but not a "the home screen pops up on its own" issue.

Agreed - take it back & get a new one.
    Something isn't right.
    10-09-08 12:32 PM
    From what I have read this is a common problem with no fix soon in sight
    No this s not a common problem, take it back.
    10-09-08 01:04 PM
    Hope you get it resolved soon, Like others had said and I even spoke to some at&t people and they have not heard this reported as a common problem...
    10-09-08 01:06 PM

Best response yet!
    10-09-08 01:56 PM

I had the Curve 8310 before my iPhone and I loved it, but the iPhone is like a bad boyfriend, even when he messes up I still love him more!
    The reason I thought it was a common problem was because on the Apple forums quite a few people said it was, they even mentioned some woman who had a lawsuit against Apple for the iPhone 3G.
    The wait for Tech support is sooo long!
    10-09-08 02:25 PM
    I had the Curve 8310 before my iPhone and I loved it, but the iPhone is like a bad boyfriend, even when he messes up I still love him more!
    The reason I thought it was a common problem was because on the Apple forums quite a few people said it was, they even mentioned some woman who had a lawsuit against Apple for the iPhone 3G.
    I havent had that problem with my phone....actually when i jailbroke it i did have crashing/lagging problems, but before it was jailbroken and since restore it has been perfectly normal.

DO you have an Apple store in your area? If so go on apple.com and make an instore appt with a genius Very simple and hassle free.
    10-09-08 04:41 PM
    Forget tech support... You need to head down to Apple.
    10-09-08 07:35 PM
    you know, in some apps I have that same issue. only in some, eg I'll be browsing the web (this happens a lot) and I get mad because it takes me back home. in lots of things.
    10-09-08 08:27 PM
    I have had some issues with my phone coming out of lock mode. It will just go black and the home screen will come up a few minutes later.

Won't be an issue soon as I am giving it to my wife so I can get the Storm - :P
    10-10-08 08:44 AM
    Ok I was waiting to see if the problem would come back.....So far so good! Apple support had me reset my network settings, and I haven't had a problem since! I have been overloading my phone as much as possible. So now I can go back to absolutely loving my new iPhone yay
    10-10-08 01:15 PM
    Ok I was waiting to see if the problem would come back.....So far so good! Apple support had me reset my network settings, and I haven't had a problem since! I have been overloading my phone as much as possible. So now I can go back to absolutely loving my new iPhone yay
    Wow... network settings caused that. Glad it's fixed.
    10-10-08 02:57 PM
    that's why you get a BB

You mean the same blackberry which one is being discontinued in the UK for quality issues.
    10-10-08 03:36 PM
    Wow... network settings caused that. Glad it's fixed.
    how the heck do I reset those too so mine goes away?
    10-10-08 04:13 PM
    I am glad things worked out for you. Sometimes you have to be a bit patient with new tech.

10-10-08 05:56 PM
    how the heck do I reset those too so mine goes away?
    Settings --> General --> (Scroll down) Reset
    10-10-08 06:48 PM
    My two days old 3g suffer from the same symptom too, load plenty pic in safari and it wil boot me back to home screen, did the network reset and it is stable now.
    Last edited by CBR900RR; 10-11-08 at 12:07 AM.
    10-10-08 10:30 PM
    Throw it my way i'll take it.
    10-11-08 02:50 AM
    Settings --> General --> (Scroll down) Reset
    thank you! thank you! waiting to reboot...
    10-11-08 10:03 AM
    thank you! thank you! waiting to reboot...
    No problem.
    10-11-08 01:37 PM
    Info I find reguarding Safari browser problem
    Reports of iPhone Browser Crashing Daily

Ever since the original iPhone launch, there have been numerous reports of iPhone Safari crashing multiple times per day in Apple related forums and blogs, particularly when surfing non-iPhone optimized websites via Mobile Safari. Some users have even claimed Apple's phenomenal mobile browser crashes every time they use it. Since then, Apple has released many software updates, but none has completely solved the problem. Some updates such as software version 2.0 had actually made the crashes more frequent. In later version 2 updates, apple has fixed crashes and freezes when filling out forms and entering texts, but the iPhone browser still crashes from time to time.

Possible Events Triggering the Mobile Browser Crashes

It has been reported that the iPhone Safari are likely to crash when

Displaying website that has a large file size or embeds widgets.

Opening multiple websites within Safari

Using the iPhone browser in landscape mode

Changing between 3G and the EDGE network
    RAM of 125 Megabytes is insufficient

Some have suggested that the 125 megbytes of RAM in the iPod Touch/iPhone is insufficient to carry out tasks in the modern world wide web. That is why as long as iPhone and iPod uses a 125 megabyte RAM, mobile Safari browser will always crash. Thus the only way to prevent crashes is to avoid using too many applications or opening to many memory intensive websites at once. It makes sense. Today's web site are for computers with 1 or 2 gigabytes of RAM. My Firefox as of now uses 157 megabytes of RAM. I am opening 6 webpages on 6 different tabs though. Since the iPhone has only 125 megabytes of RAM to allocate all its programs, any inadequate distribution of its memory can cause application crashes. Website with large embedded contents can potentially make Safari crash.

Could it be the Software?

Software could definitely have an effect on Mobile Safari crashes. Just look at the fix that was done on software update version 2.02. The software update fixed apps from crashing. They must have done something to allocate the memory more efficiently so that apps won't crash. They can do the same thing to mobile Safari. Also, the browser itself, if optimized to use minimal memory and bug free, can help lower its crash rate. Safari browsers have been known to have a tendency to crash more than the other browsers. May be it is time for Apple to look into optimizing Safari as a priority.

Solutions to prevent iPhone Safari crashes

So far, Apple and many other iPhone users have suggested few ways to prevent iphone mobile browser crashes.

Power off the iPhone when your browsers start crashing. This can help reset some apps that may be running in the background.
    Try not to use too many functions at once, such as listening to music and surfing at the same time.
    Get the latest firmware. Usually they will help to improve stability of the iPhone browser.
    Surf a heavy content embedded website in portrait mode.
    Try resetting the cache. To reset cache, go to setting-> Safari-> Clear Cache. Also wait until the page finish loading before browsing with your fingers.

Big inconvenience and Reducing Productivity

The iPhone is a smart phone that is supposed to create conveniences and help us boost productivity. With the ability to access the full world wide web on your fingertips (except for flash content of course) as well as many other cool features such as GPS and thousands of applications, iPhone makes life more convenient and enables productivity anywhere that has an wireless signal. However, when the browser crashes constantly, the time it takes to reload the webpage can cause lots of precious time to be wasted. In the era of Web 2.0, the mobile iphone safari users could be utilizing a widget, making a comment on a blog or forum, or even writing a blog on safari. When iPhone browser crashes in the middle of these kind of tasks, it can be very annoying to do them over (and over) again!

iPhone Safari is taking shares of the overall internet browsers quickly

Apple's crash-prone mobile browser, although crashes unpredictively, is gaining the browser market share fast. With web market share near 0.5% and more iPhones flying off the shelves around the world. There is no doubt in my mind that Mobile Safari will quickly be an important way to access the internet for many people. Hopefully, its success and people's complaints will force Apple to pay more attention to its mobile browser, giving us a crash-free Mobile Safari complete with flash and other goodies .

Update 1: Firmware 2.1 had been released. Some are still reporting excessive Safari crashes. My advice would be to continue follow the above suggestions to prevent those pesky iPhone browser crashes.
    More info

From Tim S
    Sep 27, 2008 @ 5:59 am I’ve only had my iPhone for a week, and I’ve had a stack of Safari crashes, mostly whilst browsing sites with a few photos on them. I had a look in the console log (you can access it through XCode with the iPhone SDK) and I found:

Sat Sep 27 11:48:04 unknown SpringBoard[22] : Memory level is urgent (9%). Asking Safari to quit.

Sat Sep 27 11:48:04 unknown SpringBoard[22] : Writing low memory report regarding com.apple.mobilesafari

Sat Sep 27 11:48:04 unknown MobileSafari[1561] : Safari got memory level urgent while active with one document, destroying plug-ins

Sat Sep 27 11:48:16 unknown ReportCrash[1563] : Saved crashreport to /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileSafari-2008-09-27-114815.plist using uid: 0 gid: 0, synthetic_euid: 0 egid: 0

Sat Sep 27 11:48:17 unknown SpringBoard[22] : Application Safari got sufficiently warned but is still alive, killing it. Jetsam level: 9%

Sat Sep 27 11:48:17 unknown SpringBoard[22] : Writing low memory report regarding com.apple.mobilesafari

Sat Sep 27 11:48:17 unknown MobileSafari[1561] : Safari got memory level urgent while active with one document, destroying plug-ins

Sat Sep 27 11:48:19 unknown configd[21] : kernel memory event (96), free: 374, active: 610, inactive: 452, purgeable: 0, wired: 8462

Sat Sep 27 11:48:27 unknown ReportCrash[1564] : Saved crashreport to /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileSafari-2008-09-27-114826.plist using uid: 0 gid: 0, synthetic_euid: 0 egid: 0

In other words, Safari runs out of memory and is killed by the OS. The only solution that I can think of is to stop using so many tabs…
    Last edited by CBR900RR; 10-12-08 at 08:24 PM.
    10-11-08 08:22 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD