Hello,

I'm looking for your input whether I should sell my HD2 and buy an iPhone, or just go back to my old BB8900. I've been a QWERTY keyboard user for many years (Treos and BBs) and decided to give touchscreens one more chance.

I've had the HTC HD2 for the past 3 months (previously a BB8900) and overall I am happy with it. It does all I need a phone for. However, it has some small annoyances, such as:
    • Too many errors when typing messages - the screen is too sensitive
    • Difficulty in pairing with my car bluetooth
    • Sometimes lags or crashes, usually at the most inopportune time
    • etc

Small things that I've learned to live with, because of the beautiful screen and full Exchange sync capabilities. But they are starting to annoy me, to the point I've been using my older BB8900 at times.

Now that the iPhone is out, I've been thinking whether to sell the HD2 at a small loss, and get the iPhone 4. Cost to switch to the iPhone 4 should be around 150, after I sell the HD2.

Things that are important to me:
    • Relatively stable OS
    • Good voice and data reception - note that I live in a strong signal area so I am hoping the reception issues shouldn't affect me
    • Ease of typing and operating the phone in general
    • Exchange capabilities or at least wireless sync ability with my desktop
    • Good PIM functionality

I'm not too much into games (iPhone) or flashing ROMS / customizing the phone, besides the ringtones.

So how is the keyboard, and overall user experience on the iPhone compared to WM??

Will I miss my seamless synching (Calendar, Tasks, Contacts) experience that I now have on the HTC HD2 and had on the BB8900 using bluetooth?

Just looking for some thoughts...
    07-11-10 11:20 AM
    Get the iPhone!!!!!!! Seriously iPhone rocks and even tho he hd2 is a fantastic phone and a bb is a bb, but the iPhone is dope( IMO )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-10 03:21 PM
    The temptation is that everyone who tries the iPhone in general, falls in love with it. This obviously doesn't happen with WM devices...

What I am worried about is that I'll miss
    1. the big screen of the HD2
    2. most importantly, the seamless synching and Calendar / PIM functions of WM

I am currently using Pocket Informant on my HD2, which is also available on the iPhone. However, tasks are as of yet not natively supported....

hmmm
    07-12-10 02:17 AM
    Sounds like you've made up your own mind lol. The iPhone is a very solid device. I have had winmo phones and liked them for very specific reasons like the ability to vm to my pc at home. That was nice. I did not like how complex the OS was though. I found my winmo phones were extremely sluggish and non responsive at times.

For me: winmo < BB < Web OS < Android < iPhone.

That's my opinion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-10 10:57 PM
    I personally strayed from BB for a couple weeks (up until this afternoon, actually) and got the HTC HD2. Overall, I was satisfied with the phone much as you were; however, T-Mobile just couldn't cut the cake for me, so back to Verizon I went... But that is another story; I digress...

That said, I assume you have familiarized yourself with the multiple drawbacks of the iPhone, so I won't go into any detail there. The bottom line is that, as a whole, iPhone users seem to love and swear by their devices. Whether they are fanboys, as it were, or owners of an amazing device is left to be decided, but the general consensus definitely is that the iPhone is a great device. Stable OS, countless apps, ease of use, a near flawless interface, and an amazingly responsive keyboard. I know numerous people who own the iPhone and would never use anything else. I've personally played around with friends' iPhones, and I can say that, even as a tried and true BB loyalist, I was pretty impressed by the functionality and ease of use the iPhone offers - I venture to say that you will, as well.

As far as synching goes, I'm pretty sure that you will be able to do everything with the iPhone that you could do with the HTC and your BB.

As a final thought, please research the **** out of the iPhone 4 before you purchase that particular phone; many people are having tons of issues with it, and Apple isn't exactly being supportive. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
    07-12-10 11:09 PM
    Thank you all for your responses:

Fortunately, choosing a carrier is not an issue for me. My carrier here in Cyprus uses GSM and has very good coverage, so I should have a full signal almost everywhere I usually go.

Jenaywins, how did you find the virtual keyboard of the iPhone 4 vs the one on the HD2? The HD2 one is very sensitive, resulting in many errors. The iPhone 3GS had a great typing experience, but some people are reporting the the iP4 is also prone to typing errors. Thoughts?

I like the idea of having access to so many apps, even though I'm sure I'll end up wasting lots of time!

I will let you know of my decision... Thanks again!
    07-14-10 12:52 AM
    Honestly, I hated the keyboard on the HD2. It literally took 5 minutes to text someone that I was on my way... Horrid keyboard. The iPhone 4, on the other hand, was very easy to type on, IMHO. I personally found that there was very little difference between generations in terms of the keyboard. Perhaps you can go into an ATT store and type on one to see what you think..? Everyone's opinion will differ, ultimately...

Yes, you will end up wasting a ton of time on the all the apps available for the iPhone; however, in situations where you are bored, you will be very thankful for this.

Good luck, and please keep us updated!!!
    07-14-10 01:21 AM
    Honestly, I hated the keyboard on the HD2. It literally took 5 minutes to text someone that I was on my way... Horrid keyboard. The iPhone 4, on the other hand, was very easy to type on, IMHO. I personally found that there was very little difference between generations in terms of the keyboard. Perhaps you can go into an ATT store and type on one to see what you think..? Everyone's opinion will differ, ultimately...

Yes, you will end up wasting a ton of time on the all the apps available for the iPhone; however, in situations where you are bored, you will be very thankful for this.

Good luck, and please keep us updated!!!
    07-14-10 01:22 AM
    OP, I have read your posts, it makes me wondering if you had own iTouch?

I have own iTouch 32GB. I prefer HD2's keyboard over itouch's keyboard, because itouch's screen is small, and Onscreen keyboard looks a damn small.. I am sure that iphone and itouch screen are same size.. IMO..
    Last edited by VIDGMER; 07-14-10 at 09:48 AM.
    07-14-10 09:45 AM
    FARBES, No iPod Touch, just an iPod 3yrs ago that I still use for listening to podcasts. This would be replaced by the iPhone 4 of course, if I decide to get it.

It's interesting that you prefer the HD2's keyboard. I find it a bit too sensitive at times, like jenaywins said.

hmm... will keep you guys posted.
    07-14-10 01:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD