I was wondering in the event I have to reinstall my OS or change a computer, how I can go about redownloading my movies and apps and music that are purchased off the itunes store?

I don't see it mentioning or keeping track of my download history or redownload links anywhere. In parrticular they will even let me pay more than once for the same app or movie.

Aren't movies and apps purchased off the itunes store fixed to the account? Or does that mean I will need to data backup all downloads to prevent throwing money away when I reinstall OS?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-10 02:35 AM
    Backup your data or you will lose it when you change computers and/or hard drives.
    05-06-10 09:03 AM
    So itunes doesn't offer customers protection like most online retailers??

Also what about the files, are the movies and music themselves tied down the the PC cause that's wt it seems to say in the account.

If it is true that itunes don't offer protection and files can't be transferred to another computer, then yesterday will be my last day spending money in itunes with strict only exception to apps that don't leave u a choice.

05-06-10 10:48 AM
    You can transfer and sync with multiple computers, just Google it and find out how. iTunes stores the data on the computer and not on their server, you reinstall OS on the computer, unless you have the data copied elsewhere, you will lose it.

I copy iTunes, MyMusic, and all Apple files located in Local and Roaming to an external hard drive and then copy back after installing itunes.
    05-06-10 11:06 AM
    Are the movie files tied to the computer. I just purchased a good few movies from itunes due to convenience over the DVD but am regretting it now as they cost almost the same and now I have no DVD extras, and to add to this it seems itunes doesn't honor protection.

The only data they need to store is purchase history which they obviousl have. Appworld from BB offers the redownload service, as do the majority of online stores. Seems pretty fair practice to me. Most users who even are willing to pay itunes for media are honest too, cause the majority can just torrent everything froma variety of sources. So it seems yet again the honest man gets the shaft, like not being able to play games without the DVD in the drive, yet crackers who don't pay for the game can.

05-06-10 11:44 AM
    Once you download and pay for apps, you do not have to pay for it again even if your device isn't backed up. Just go back to the app store and when you download it again, you'll get a message that says something like "You have already purchased this item, would you like to download it again for free". Something like that and you should be good to go. There is a log on your account in iTunes that shows all your app purchases.

For music and video purchases you can use the below link and someone should help you be able to get your stuff back. They do help you, but people can't abuse it. You can give apple your order number here and they'll let you re-download it one time. Now this is ideal for videos as you may not have that many but if you have lots of songs you would be SOL unless you wanted to give a order number for each purchase.

Apple - Support - iTunes

Also remember, that it's part of the iTunes licensing that Apple doesn't have to let you re-download music for free. If I bought a CD from FYE and I lost it, they will not give me another for free even if I have a receipt. Keep your stuff backed up. Like everything else you buy, keep it protected as best you can because I don't know too many places that will give you a free replacement if you lost it. Now with Apps, Apple can replace it because they don't pay royalty fees like they do with other media. Every now and then I back up all my stuff on an external hard drive just in case. Now if I lose everything between my computer, phone, iPad and external hard drive, then it wasn't meant for me to have LOL.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 05-06-10 at 03:33 PM.
    05-06-10 03:25 PM
    But are the media files I.e movies, tied to a specific machine (rights management protection).

Owning things in software only and via hardware are quite a different reality. The methods of which your tangible and physical DVD can be damaged or lost to the owner are very much different to the elements facing data on a PC. PCs can get corrupt, get viruses, hardware fail, not to mention other physical factors like theft and natural disasters etc. Furthermore, chances with electronics is that if ur PC screws up you lose EVERYTHING, and not just one thing. Its like losing ur whole house to wild fire in the case of DVDs versus u just being stupid and sitting on one dvd and breaking it. No, the analogy is u lose more than one DVD, u lose all plus more.

Essentisally data or software faces all the elements your physical product also faces (like theft to your hardware containing the software, natural disaster) and on top of that much more, such as data corruption, malware, etc. All of which may not be your fault no less.

Furthermore, when software companies implement further restrictions like digital rights management ontop of the already sticky possible scenarios, then it really makes purchasing software only a real problem. This is why retailers offer a middleground of truce to make it attractive given their forceful DRM restrictions, often by letting u redownload ur purchases.

At the end of the day, people who pay for their goods are doing the honest thing already, because a vast majority will just torrent and crack the software anyway. The least they can do is offer honest ppl more favorable conditions to continue doing the right thing, and not penalize them for unforseeable circumstances

Seeing that itunes doesn't offer guarenteed redownload, I think I will return to DVD purchases. With all other online software retailer, I am acustomed to being able to redownload as a courtesy, such as steam, direct2drive, BB app world, etc.

Last edited by berry.man; 05-06-10 at 05:09 PM.
    05-06-10 05:01 PM
    But are the media files I.e movies, tied to a specific machine (rights management protection).

Owning things in software only and via hardware are quite a different reality. The methods of which your tangible and physical DVD can be damaged or lost to the owner are very much different to the elements facing data on a PC. PCs can get corrupt, get viruses, hardware fail, not to mention other physical factors like theft and natural disasters etc. Furthermore, chances with electronics is that if ur PC screws up you lose EVERYTHING, and not just one thing. Its like losing ur whole house to wild fire in the case of DVDs versus u just being stupid and sitting on one dvd and breaking it. No, the analogy is u lose more than one DVD, u lose all plus more.

Essentisally data or software faces all the elements your physical product also faces (like theft to your hardware containing the software, natural disaster) and on top of that much more, such as data corruption, malware, etc. All of which may not be your fault no less.

Furthermore, when software companies implement further restrictions like digital rights management ontop of the already sticky possible scenarios, then it really makes purchasing software only a real problem. This is why retailers offer a middleground of truce to make it attractive given their forceful DRM restrictions, often by letting u redownload ur purchases.

At the end of the day, people who pay for their goods are doing the honest thing already, because a vast majority will just torrent and crack the software anyway. The least they can do is offer honest ppl more favorable conditions to continue doing the right thing, and not penalize them for unforseeable circumstances

I never said I disagree with you but what we consider to be right isn't always what matters. As I stated, Apple doesn't just let you download music and movies again because of licensing and royalties. I'm not saying they are right for not allowing, just the way it is. They pay royalties for each song downloaded and if they just let people re-download stuff then they will pay royalties fees on something they've already paid for as well. But again, maybe this is something that Apple needs to fix within their system. But at the end of the day, just back up all your stuff and you'll have no problem. Also read through the iTunes licensing before you accept it and then complain about process you agreed to. Not going to get into an argument about e-file and data protection. Just back up your files or use the link I provided to be able to download your stuff again. Not sure what else to tell you.

iTunes Store: Purchased songs, videos, iPod Games, and albums can be downloaded only once

P.S. You can also try the "Transfer purchases" selection on one of the iTunes menu. See what happens there as well.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 05-06-10 at 05:19 PM.
    05-06-10 05:17 PM
    You can download previously purchased purchased & downloaded files as long as the computer you are using is authorized to your iTunes account. As per your iTunes customer agreement, you are permitted to authorize up to 5 computers per iTunes account.

05-06-10 08:39 PM
    You can download previously purchased purchased & downloaded files as long as the computer you are using is authorized to your iTunes account. As per your iTunes customer agreement, you are permitted to authorize up to 5 computers per iTunes account.

This does not apply to music or movies/tv shows. You have to get Apple's permission to re-download that stuff. Apps and games can be re-downloaded yourself. But with the other stuff you have to contact Apple. Please see the link posted above from Apple's site which explains that.
    05-07-10 10:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD