My wife currently carries 13,000 contacts on her BBStorm
    (mine is not to reason why). Does anyone have any idea of the iPhone capacity or what structure it uses to store contact information? I have lost faith in BB and this is the one issue that could keep me from making the iPhone jump.

Thanks in advance for any input.
    03-09-11 07:37 PM
    I couldn't find any specific information other than the space is takes would be in the "Other" category in itunes.
    03-09-11 07:56 PM
    13k? It's hard to believe that each one of those are some kind of redundant or separate entries for different numbers for the same person. I honestly can't believe her Storm is holding 13k contacts. lol
    03-09-11 09:04 PM
    Not terribly hard to believe, actually, as long as the device isn't bogged down with a lot of apps. Based on my address book, 13K contacts is between 7 and 8 MB of memory, depending on how detailed the entries are.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-11 09:10 PM
    She's one of the top realtors in our area and carries her whole contact database with her. I was surprised her BB took that many but it was a direct sync from her contact management software.

03-09-11 09:43 PM
    i think iphone will take unlimited lol. check gsm arena thats what it says anyways,

it says "Practically unlimited entries and fields, Photocall"
    03-09-11 10:31 PM
    She's one of the top realtors in our area and carries her whole contact database with her. I was surprised her BB took that many but it was a direct sync from her contact management software.

I would suspect that since the Address Book is a Device Memory function that it would be a pretty easy thing for it to handle that many contacts and then some.

Pulled this from an Apple Assistance Forum.
    "Okay, I had the sales staff contact Apple. The sales staff told me the contact limit will be held to the memory capacity. So, if you have the 16 gig version, it would appear as if it will hold as many as you can throw at it. This is a welcome change, which had something to do with it now handling corporate email. I am not tech savy, so I don't recall the specifics."

Last edited by BergerKing; 03-09-11 at 11:20 PM.
    03-09-11 11:11 PM
    Sounds like we'll be moving to the iPhone based on this feedback and civic's experience. Thanks for everyone's input.

03-09-11 11:24 PM
    I know of a few people with 3-5k worth of contacts, but 13k is a lot, even for a Realtor. Anyway, doesn't matter, I think she'll be OK.

BTW, I hope she doesn't have a lot of phone number entries with x or Ext for the extension of the person within the number. The iPhone phone app doesn't recognize those characters as a pause. Supposedly that's getting a fix in 4.3, but I haven't seen how they're going to do it yet. Right now you need to use a , for a pause or a ; for a wait command. I had fun editing a few contacts and I'm still finding a few from time to time that I missed.
    03-10-11 12:56 AM
    Most of these are residential customers so ext shouldn't be a problem.
    She probably only has 200-300 "active" contacts at any one time but because her database has been built-up over several years I don't know of any effective way to segragate them and she won't delete past clients since hopefully they will eventually sell again.
    03-10-11 03:38 AM
    13k? Wow...I have 94...hum...I guess I'm not popular ha ha ha.
    03-10-11 09:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD