Spend most of the day on my phone from home office, use it for email when on the road, we run both a pop3 and exchange server from outlook for work. What should my expectations be using the ipone as a phone that I'm on frequently? As an email tool with both the pop3 and exchange. How is the ease of use to upload contacts from outlook and access them on the iphone?

How easy is it to access the calender?

Will the Iphone automatically sync when I enter a new contact or calender event into outlook like a windows phone?
    01-17-10 11:18 PM
    My wife and I left BB for the Iphone. She just got the Cliq cuz she uses google for everything. My Iphone works perfect for my job. I get my email for work everyday without the worry of the BIS server being down. If you set up iTunes to sync contacts and calender it will do it. I always had a problem with my Tour and any other BB working with outlook, but not the iPhone.
    01-18-10 07:09 AM
    I also use the iPhone for work with no issues, it will sync with outlook but you have to sync it with itunes every time. I use MobileMe which is instant push for contacts, calendar and e-mail all OTA in addition to syncing with Outlook OTA. I add an appointment to Outlook on my pc and it's already on my iPhone without doing anything else.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 01-18-10 at 09:26 AM.
    01-18-10 09:24 AM
    Overall the iPhone is a solid phone and communications device. For business use, I would suggest picking up an external battery if you make a lot of calls. Where the Blackberry is boring it is extra stout for heavy use. I use my iPhone for business, mostly email and PIM, however, when I travel, I always carry and external battery. My external battery is approximately 1000 ma which will support one full recharge, or general 2/3 increase of use on calls. There are several more heavy duty batteries so the choice is up to you.
    01-18-10 10:10 AM
    can your provide the details of your external battery, brand and model number, been thinking about purchasing one for trips.
    01-18-10 10:44 AM
    I just got one of the cheap ones off ebay that are 1800mah for about $12 shipped. Seems to work fine.

Personally Id rather buy a new $12 one every 6 months then some expensive $50-60 one that wont last much longer. Batteries only have so many charge cycles before they lose capactiy anyways.
    01-18-10 12:17 PM
    I also use the iPhone for work with no issues, it will sync with outlook but you have to sync it with itunes every time. I use MobileMe which is instant push for contacts, calendar and e-mail all OTA in addition to syncing with Outlook OTA. I add an appointment to Outlook on my pc and it's already on my iPhone without doing anything else.
    this is very helpful to know, is mobile me an app that comes with the phone, or one I need to find?
    01-18-10 01:45 PM
    MobileMe is Apple's cloud service, it is not an app. MobileMe
    01-18-10 01:55 PM
    or Gmail does the same for free now that it uses Exchange protocol- push email, contacts, and calendar sync.
    01-18-10 02:33 PM
    Except gallery, 20gb idisk, remote lock, remote wipe, gps location..
    01-18-10 10:05 PM
    I started using Gmail exchange when I recently got my Iphone. It works great. All mail,contacts, and calendar are synched Immediately.
    01-18-10 10:13 PM
    Except gallery, 20gb idisk, remote lock, remote wipe, gps location..
    I will +1 that. I love MobileMe for exactly those reasons. Now, I wish they would get shared calendaring, but I am handling that externally for now.

Jim
    01-19-10 03:11 AM
    Looks like I'll be reading up on mobile me.
    IF The Iphone comes to big red, I might just make the jump.

We have hosted exchange via a 3rd party, with a Blackberry server and it just works, perfectly.

I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I make a jump to an Iphone for work...
    01-19-10 05:43 AM
    I will +1 that. I love MobileMe for exactly those reasons. Now, I wish they would get shared calendaring, but I am handling that externally for now.

Jim
    You can sync any CalDAV calendars such as Google's as well.

01-19-10 10:10 AM
    Iphone is good but iphone users are fooling themselves if they think you can type faster or be more productive in business then a Blackberry device... That's out of hand...

U don't need itunes for business.. U need a keyboard, push mail, and the ability to keep up with desktop responses...

Iphone is a bad a** phone .. But let's not fool ourselves!

*See kevin's pyramid*

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-10 08:26 AM
    bloodlinebb, sorry to bust your bubble but I can type much faster on an iPhone than any blackberry I have ever used and or played with. When I say type much faster I am really not exaggerating. I do use it for business and do not need a keyboard, have push mail and also have the ability to keep up with my local desktop.

Just because YOU say you can type faster on a BB doesn't automatically apply to everyone else. I'm sure their are plenty who can type faster on a BB but I'm not one of them.
    01-20-10 08:30 AM
    Exactly you must be kidding YOURSELf if you think you can tell people what's right for them or what they need. Preference has nothing to do with business being run. Both phones are equally capable of getting things done, just in a different (user preference) manner.
    01-20-10 11:37 AM
    Iphone is good but iphone users are fooling themselves if they think you can type faster or be more productive in business then a Blackberry device... That's out of hand...

U don't need itunes for business.. U need a keyboard, push mail, and the ability to keep up with desktop responses...

Iphone is a bad a** phone .. But let's not fool ourselves!

*See kevin's pyramid*

You are fooling yourself if you think people can't type faster on an iPhone than a BB and be more productive in the business world. So you are out of hand.

It all matters on the user. I type MUCH faster on my iPhone than any other device I have ever owned. Including the 9000 and 9700. Multitouch and having the most responsive touchscreen in the business allows me to accomplish this. I was extremely fast at typing on the BBs as well (and still am on my 9000).

You don't need a physical keyboard, the iPhone does get push email (especially if you are in the business world and have an exchange account), and you can keep up with desktop responses.
    01-20-10 11:53 AM
    I have Yahoo mail and of course have it pushed to my Storm. Can the iphone do exactly the same? Can I get the option to delete email just from my phone or both phone and server?

01-20-10 01:55 PM
    Does MobileMe only sync if you use the MobileMe email or can you use it to sync calendar/contacts OTA for a hosted Exchange account?
    01-20-10 07:11 PM
    Oh? I'm sorry... You're right! Big announcement!!

All of Corp American is replacing blackberry phones with IPhones ...
    Apple is throwing in free speed typing classes for all companies who switch from BB to the IPhone...

Give me a break! Iphone is for play and non business and for the CEO's kids and for BB is for business and the CEO

I have a BB for business and my I touch for play....

Simple as that ...if your business changes, you have the ability to change..
    You need push mail! I have the ability of adding more then 5 accounts of mail... All push...to my device... This phone adapts and can combat any desktop responses!

10 companies .. 5 with iphones and 5 with BB ... The 5 BB would win that ..... BB is more productive

Ok... Now if all 10 were members of 24 hour fitness and yes iphone would win with itunes :-() hahahahahaah
    Last edited by bloodlinebb; 01-20-10 at 07:28 PM.
    01-20-10 07:18 PM
    Oh? I'm sorry... You're right! Big announcement!!

All of Corp American is replacing blackberry phones with IPhones ...
    Apple is throwing in free speed typing classes for all companies who switch from BB to the IPhone...

Give me a break! Iphone is for play and non business and for the CEO's kids and for BB is for business and the CEO

I have a BB for business and my I touch for play....

Simple as that ...if your business changes, you have the ability to change..
    You need push mail! I have the ability of adding more then 5 accounts of mail... All push...to my device... This phone adapts and can combat any desktop responses!

10 companies .. 5 with iphones and 5 with BB ... The 5 BB would win that ..... BB is more productive

Ok... Now if all 10 were members of 24 hour fitness and yes iphone would win with itunes :-() hahahahahaah
    You need to check your facts big time. LOTS of fortune 500 companies are using iphones and, in my own field, 55% of the top 200 BIG law firms (1000 lawyers plus) in the country are supporting iphones.

Kids? I think not, some of these guys make more a day in billable hours at $800+/hr then most of you basher knuckleheads in a week. Kids toy, I think not.

If all you want to do is spew total BS personal opinions as if they were fact then take it elsewhere.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 01-20-10 at 07:47 PM.
    01-20-10 07:40 PM
    Does MobileMe only sync if you use the MobileMe email or can you use it to sync calendar/contacts OTA for a hosted Exchange account?
    You don't have to use the MobileMe e-mail in order for calendar and contacts to sync OTA. Just select off (Mail) from MobileMe (iPhone) and or the MobileMe control panel on PC (Outlook etc.).

Right now I do use MobileMe for my personal in addition to my work e-mail on a separate server. All my contacts and calendars sync with my outlook (main work calendar) to my pc, my mac and iPhone all push. I input it once and its everywhere else instantly OTA no matter where I initially input. I can input from my iPhone and it will show on my work Outlook PC etc.

Not sure if I answered your question but if Outlook per say in connected to your work exchange it should work. Exchange pushes to Outlook pushes to MobileMe pushes to iPhone and vice versa... seems like a lot but it really does push nearly instantaneously.

I also have my Google Calendar in sync with Outlook at work and my iPhones calendar.. everything is in sync with no duplicates and only one initial input.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 01-20-10 at 10:44 PM.
    01-20-10 10:12 PM
    When in driving my car my iTouch sucks to enter #'s or access features. (yeah i know i shouldn't be doing that). The vibration/movement of the car makes the keypad useless. Not so with a physical keyboard.
    01-22-10 11:06 PM
    You need to check your facts big time. LOTS of fortune 500 companies are using iphones and, in my own field, 55% of the top 200 BIG law firms (1000 lawyers plus) in the country are supporting iphones.
    Lawyers using an iPhone has little to do with business.
    Unlike Lawyers I have to answer my own calls and schedule my own meetings. Good lawyers have people to do that for them.

Oh and a small important point...the iPhone performance on voice calls is medicocre at best..read the reviews

not bashing cause the iphone is a great device but the lawyer thing is laughable
    01-22-10 11:18 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD