Take an iPhone 5, remove the backing and put a polycarbonate shell on the back.

Source: apple rep at a apple store

The iPhone 5 will be obsolete on the 20th and all units that remain will be taken back and have a polycarbonate backing applied rather than the current one.

So much for innovation...

Posted via CB10
    Harrison Hoolahan likes this.
    09-14-13 05:56 PM
    How about the finger print scanner? The 5c doesn't have that feature?

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 06:02 PM
    Nope. No scanner.
    And the iPhone 5 being discontinued is no news.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    09-14-13 06:04 PM
    The 5c is an iPhone 5 with a polycarbonate backshell. No difference in specs

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 06:09 PM
    The iPhone 5 will be obsolete on the 20th
    So obsolete that Gazelle.com is going to pay me $340 for mine next month (32G) and pay for the shipping. They must have something useful they want to do with it.
    09-14-13 06:12 PM
    Take an iPhone 5, remove the backing and put a polycarbonate shell on the back.

Source: apple rep at a apple store

The iPhone 5 will be obsolete on the 20th and all units that remain will be taken back and have a polycarbonate backing applied rather than the current one.

Posted via CB10
    Actually your friend is wrong, Apple does not keep a large stock of products. They usually only have a stock for 1-3 days in the factory so who ever said this was wrong. Furthermore, the iPhone 5c is not the same as iPhone 5. It has an improved battery and different internal network chips to allow LTE-4G in more areas.

In response to your comment about innovation...

We have a real problem here with the word "innovate". It has become this nebulous term that is thrown around without definition. It seems to mean something different to everyone. Is innovation the introduction of a new technology or idea? Is it the perfection and integration of a technology or idea? Is it still innovative if it doesn't sell or become popular?

Apple is a consumer electronics company, they make devices. Unlike Google, which gets it's money mostly from search advertisement revenue, Apple cannot simply throw out experimental ideas that might not work out lest they risk hurting their reputation and their bottom-line. Apple has become a pain in it's own *** because of its reputation. The more innovative they are, the more innovative they had better be just because that is what is expected of them. If they don't revolutionize a new industry every two or three years people will say that they have lost their touch.

It was only three years ago that they introduced the iPad and completely reinvented the tablet computer industry. They released Siri, which isn't perfect nor a completely new idea, but it upped the standard for digital assistance and forced Google to step it's game up with Google Now. They are introducing a fingerprint scanner to the new iPhone which also isn't the first time the idea has been tried (Motorola Atrix), but it is the first time it has been done well. This will probably push the whole industry in that direction and force all new smartphones to include this feature, you can thank Apple for that. They would have probably already innovated in the TV department if it wasn't for a deeply entrenched TV industry not willing to give an inch on their archaic system.

Yeah I guess Apple hasn't 'shaken up' an industry in a few years, but is that the only way to define innovation? What mobile company is shaking up any industry right now similar to the way that Apple has already done several times now?
    09-14-13 06:12 PM
    I simply think iOS is a big part why people still think Apple isn't innovating, it feels and looks and works around the same design logic and principles since the first iteration. Many of these people are just sick of using the same, tired UI for that many years, and even more recent adopters find the simplicity of iOS a little impediment to the things they REALLY want to do instead. It just doesn't offer the more powerful framework needs most get from Android for example.

People like apps on iOS, and the app store is indeed the biggest on the mobile landscape, but people get tired of apps real fast. You use an app, it fits your needs, you just forget about it and use it without much thought afterwards. It does allow functionality and some novelty exists when a new app appears, but even the novelty of an app runs out and the operating system is all they go back to. If the operating system is the same old same old from a few years ago, which never improves in efficiency in how things are done, no amount of apps can save it. It really goes back to bite Apple in the arse because Apple can't really change the mill drastically for the sake of status quo and for the protection of their profits. It is a very limited path to take in terms of innovation.
    bradu1 likes this.
    09-14-13 07:39 PM
    The 5c is an iPhone 5 with a polycarbonate backshell. No difference in specs

Posted via CB10
    Actually, the front facing camera is improved on the 5c, with larger pixels for better low light capability and sharpness. Both cameras have improved "backside illumination". Improvements to radios and networking too. As well, the battery is slightly higher capacity.
    Not nit picking, but clarifying. Still, my daughter wanted a new iPhone and I convinced her to buy the 5 over the 5c. She picked it up yesterday.
    Last edited by Cobrajett; 09-14-13 at 08:15 PM.
    09-14-13 07:46 PM
    Actually your friend is wrong, Apple does not keep a large stock of products. They usually only have a stock for 1-3 days in the factory so who ever said this was wrong. Furthermore, the iPhone 5c is not the same as iPhone 5. It has an improved battery and different internal network chips to allow LTE-4G in more areas.

In response to your comment about innovation...

We have a real problem here with the word "innovate". It has become this nebulous term that is thrown around without definition. It seems to mean something different to everyone. Is innovation the introduction of a new technology or idea? Is it the perfection and integration of a technology or idea? Is it still innovative if it doesn't sell or become popular?

Apple is a consumer electronics company, they make devices. Unlike Google, which gets it's money mostly from search advertisement revenue, Apple cannot simply throw out experimental ideas that might not work out lest they risk hurting their reputation and their bottom-line. Apple has become a pain in it's own *** because of its reputation. The more innovative they are, the more innovative they had better be just because that is what is expected of them. If they don't revolutionize a new industry every two or three years people will say that they have lost their touch.

It was only three years ago that they introduced the iPad and completely reinvented the tablet computer industry. They released Siri, which isn't perfect nor a completely new idea, but it upped the standard for digital assistance and forced Google to step it's game up with Google Now. They are introducing a fingerprint scanner to the new iPhone which also isn't the first time the idea has been tried (Motorola Atrix), but it is the first time it has been done well. This will probably push the whole industry in that direction and force all new smartphones to include this feature, you can thank Apple for that. They would have probably already innovated in the TV department if it wasn't for a deeply entrenched TV industry not willing to give an inch on their archaic system.

Yeah I guess Apple hasn't 'shaken up' an industry in a few years, but is that the only way to define innovation? What mobile company is shaking up any industry right now similar to the way that Apple has already done several times now?
    Ok, drop the word innovate, put in excite. There is nothing exciting about Iphones anymore. There needs to be something we can see, something we can tell is different, that we notice and are excited to see/use. I think the last time iPhone was exciting wad the retina screen. The new processor, meh. It's something we're not going to see any difference with for some time, and even then, it will be apps you're excited about, new apps that utilize the processor. You won't attribute it to the phone, you'll attribute it to the app. Updated camera, well that's to be expected, but how'd they update it? Made the pixels bigger. No more pixels? Lol! Hey, I agree pixel count doesn't matter nearly as much as lens, and bigger pixels may make for a much better camera, but you know what people will look at on the box? 8mp camera. What was the last one? An 8? Damn.

The fingerprint scanner is stupid. Yes, it sounds like some techie people here on the boards are saying they're excited about it, maybe they are, or maybe they're justifying it, but in the end, it's dumb. We're moving to a time when our mobile devices will be our all in one machine. There are things phone makers are doing across the board to make this happen. So while everyone else gets nfc apple gets a fingerprint scanner. I can't wait for next year, when everybody else includes some new tech, and Apple gives us a laser pointer.

And yes, BlackBerry went through a lot of years of no excitement. They're paying the price now. And BB10 is what they're trying to fix this with. If Apple was smart they'd start on ios10 now, cuz it's hard to make a comeback when you spend a few years putting out boring updates.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 08:21 PM
    I can't wait for next year, when everybody else includes some new tech, and Apple gives us a laser pointer.

Posted via CB10
    I found that to be quite clever and genuinely funny!
    Thanks for the laugh (seriously)

Z10 via CB10
    bradu1 likes this.
    09-14-13 08:35 PM
    To tell you the truth there's still nothing new. Battery and camera was enhanced with iOS7. Wasn't it? I remember them talking about them last WWDC.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 09:14 PM
    cuz it's hard to make a comeback when you spend a few years putting out boring updates.
    Perfect explanation of the difficulties BlackBerry currently find itself enduring...
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-14-13 09:25 PM
    Perfect explanation of the difficulties BlackBerry currently find itself enduring...
    Hmm.. I thought that was the point I was making? If that didn't come across, thanks for pointing it out.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 09:29 PM
    To tell you the truth there's still nothing new. Battery and camera was enhanced with iOS7. Wasn't it? I remember them talking about them last WWDC.

Posted via CB10
    software yes, this was hardware
    09-14-13 09:30 PM
    How iPhone 5c is made-img_00000289_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 09:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    They're not taking anything back. They'll do the same thing they've done in years past as iPhone models have phased out, which is usually the free one, but obviously not this year. They keep them around to fulfill warranty requests. If you buy an iPhone 5 on the 19, and something goes wrong with it, they'll give you a new one one the 20th. They're not sending them back anywhere.
    09-14-13 09:46 PM
    Hmm.. I thought that was the point I was making? If that didn't come across, thanks for pointing it out.
    It did and I quoted it to express my agreement
    09-14-13 09:46 PM
    It did and I quoted it to express my agreement
    Oh, gotcha. I mistook your cause. Sorry.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 09:51 PM
    i wouldn't call their situation boring.
    09-14-13 10:22 PM
    You're all missing the most important question, which is......

How iPhone 5c is made-ipad-2-will-blend-.jpg
    09-14-13 10:57 PM
    As much as I hate Apple, they will sell more iPhone 5c devices in a day then BlackBerry 10 did all year.
    09-14-13 11:43 PM
    As an iPhone user, I don't find iOS stale or boring. IMO it is consistent and does everything I want it to. Also, I might be alone on this, but I am looking forward to iOS 7. I can't say I will use An IPhone forever, but as of right now there is absolutely no reason to switch.
    09-15-13 12:27 AM
    As an iPhone user, I don't find iOS stale or boring. IMO it is consistent and does everything I want it to. Also, I might be alone on this, but I am looking forward to iOS 7. I can't say I will use An IPhone forever, but as of right now there is absolutely no reason to switch.
    I installed the GM today and iOS 7 is fantastic.

BB8130<BB8330<BB9530<Palm Pre<HTC Desire Z<Galaxy S i9000M<iPhone 4<Palm Pixi Plus<Lumia 720<BB 9900<SGS 3<BB Z10<iPhone 5 iOS 7 GM goodness
    09-15-13 12:34 AM
    I don't think the world finds iOS stale or boring either, or the iPhone for that matter. Not my 2 cents but the general consensus (when measured through metrics such as profits/marketshare/sales/preorders etc.)

Apple should be releasing launch numbers right around BB's quarterly report.
    Not going to be pretty.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    09-15-13 07:02 AM
    I guess the OP was full of it.
    09-15-13 08:01 AM
30 12