IBeacon is an interesting concept. I can see how other has it's uses.

I wish NFC had more deployment. I watched a video from work that has me VERY excited about NFC and it's uses. Unfortunately it is internal only so I can't share it here.
    01-10-14 06:32 PM
    [QUOTE=copeland007;9834010][QUOTE=Karan Mohal;9833904]

Enough with the iCrap/iToy meme already. Plenty of us have Blackberry and Apple devices... I have my z10 sitting on my desk w/ an iPad. The pointless insulting of a company that has found a winning formula (so far) for making money and influencing the industry shouldn't be praised necessarily but certainly not shat on at every turn.

iBeacon is based on Bluetooth LE//4.0, it's not proprietary Apple technology. For the moment, "beacons" are geared towards Apple since they decided to embrace the technology whole hog. Developers can simply program a "beacons" to recognize any Bluetooth LE enabled devices including my z10.

If it doesn't replace NFC then it's yet another way to use your device. Your comment make it seem like Apple left a steaming pile of stuff on your front steps the day you were running late for the interview of your life. Apple is just a company that makes stuff, just like Blackberry is just a company that makes stuff.
    I also have an iOS device (iPod touch) but regardless of that im entitled to my opinion, and my opinion is that Apple is very proprietary. Sure it makes them money, but as a consumer, how does it benefit you?

iBeacon is proprietary. As you said youself, It is based on Bluetooth LE aka Bluetooth 4.0;Those are the non-proprietary versions of "iBeacon" . In usual Apple fashion, love it or hate it, they have their own iVersion of everything.

Regardless, I was addressing the idea that these iBeacons could replace NFC. Your post didnt contribute much.
    01-12-14 08:15 PM
27 12