Another iSheep invention that makes me even more glad I chose BlackBerry.
    Check out this Washington Post article :
    How iBeacons could change the world forever - The Washington Post

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 12:46 PM
    Number 8 won't happen. You can't use your phone at the pump!

I don't see this being the next big thing.
    In order for retailers to begin to utilize the technology, there needs to be a big enough portion of consumers whose phones also have the technology. The average user only updates their phones to a new model every two to three years, so it will be at least that long until companies decide this is something they might like. Then they have to decide to use it, create a plan, roll out the plan. That takes time. By then, the tech is out of date and it was an exercise in futility. Add the public's growing concern for privacy, and you've got a technology that is of limited use.
    01-10-14 12:59 PM
    Yeah an nfc an smart tags can be used to the same type of things if not more.
    01-10-14 01:00 PM
    Another iSheep invention that makes me even more glad I chose BlackBerry.
    Check out this Washington Post article :
    How iBeacons could change the world forever - The Washington Post

Posted via CB10
    I dont know how it's iSheep, it's just their name for bluetooth 4.0

I don't know why it makes you happy you chose blackberry. That doesn't make sense.
    EddieAIG likes this.
    01-10-14 01:02 PM
    Not sure why you prefer BlackBerry over Apple because of this....

Many of these features are the same things that NFC has promised to bring to the world, the problem is NFC has not been getting the support to implement it fully to make it a commercial success. But Apple knows how to take existing technology and market it and turn it into a success. And because Apple puts there weight into this, you will most likely see other manufacturer creating accessories and devices that will work with this new Bluetooth technology. NFC will fade into the history books like IR communications did on my PALM.
    copeland007 and EddieAIG like this.
    01-10-14 01:02 PM
    I don't know what this has to do with being on the Z10's forum. However, combine ibeacon with the fingerprint scanner on the iPhone 5s the NSA will not only know who you are, but also where you are and what you do at all times.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 01:04 PM
    I personally think it's a good idea. I even see it getting some traction. However, I would never trust technology with things like locking my doors, telling where I am/where kids are, or letting businesses constantly spam me with advertisements on my phone.

I wouldn't use it.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    gemoelle likes this.
    01-10-14 01:11 PM
    Actually, Exxon/Mobil has been using a type of RFID called Speedpass to pay at the pump for years. They now have an app to see where you are, and then just use the phone to pay.
    http://www.speedpassplus.com/
    Also, Gilbarco, which is the world leader in gas dispensers, is heading in the NFC direction. See this article. http://www.gilbarco.com/us/products/...mobile-payment

Z10 running 10.2.1.1925
    01-10-14 01:13 PM
    I thought that the iBeacons only connected with iPhone, didn?t realize it was just their version of bluetooth. So this could potentially affect all smart phone users then?

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 01:22 PM
    I thought that the iBeacons only connected with iPhone, didn?t realize it was just their version of bluetooth. So this could potentially affect all smart phone users then?

Posted via CB10
    Works with android too.
    01-10-14 01:29 PM
    Yeah an nfc an smart tags can be used to the same type of things if not more.
    Not sure why you prefer BlackBerry over Apple because of this....

Many of these features are the same things that NFC has promised to bring to the world, the problem is NFC has not been getting the support to implement it fully to make it a commercial success. But Apple knows how to take existing technology and market it and turn it into a success. And because Apple puts there weight into this, you will most likely see other manufacturer creating accessories and devices that will work with this new Bluetooth technology. NFC will fade into the history books like IR communications did on my PALM.

They are nothing alike.

Nfc has a maximum transmission of 20cm.
    This does not.

This uses bluetooth 4.0 to locate your phone and its proximity to a transmitter.
    Nfc can not track you around the mall for example, this can.

Totally different.
    01-10-14 01:32 PM
    It's instead a great idea. Maybe it'll not revolution the world, but it could be potentially used for everything (from the home automation to payments). NFC, in Europe at least, practically doesn't exist, so it's absolutely useless: maybe bluetooth devices have more chance to spread worldwide. Don't criticize Apple only because it's Apple.
    01-10-14 02:13 PM
    It will be like minority reports use of people's eyes.
    If this became the standard, meaning almost everyone had it, you can bet the gov't will get on the tracking action.
    01-10-14 02:21 PM
    BB10 devices, Android and iOS devices support this technology already. It's called Bluetooth 4.0 (LE).

Apple is getting the attention now for 2 reasons, Macy's rolled out the technology in Oct/Nov of last year and then Apple rolled out the technology across all their US retail stores. Apple stores are some of the most heavily trafficked in the world so of course them forging ahead is going to get them free press.

The technology is still in its infancy with respect retail rollout, but Major League Baseball is already on board for the 2014 season and Apple will probably keep pushing the technology so others will adapt.

NFC never got off the ground as much as people would have liked.

This is a win win for everyone whether you decide to use it or not.

And the people talking about NSA are ill informed, per usual.
    01-10-14 02:37 PM
    It's smart how apple uses existing technology that other phones support before they do and if they call it something like iBeacon, Air Drop etc it all a sudden gets big with Apple users.

Dumb customer friendly, but smart on their part :P

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 02:45 PM
    It's smart how apple uses existing technology that other phones support before they do and if they call it something like iBeacon, Air Drop etc it all a sudden gets big with Apple users.

Dumb customer friendly, but smart on their part :P

Posted via CB10
    Reality Distortion Field is the phrase I believe. Either way, Apple does it, other companies offer something similar; consumers win.
    01-10-14 03:02 PM
    And the people talking about NSA are ill informed, per usual.
    Explain
    01-10-14 03:14 PM
    Hardly a replacement or alternative to NFC...

iBeacon requires batteries for their .. beacons or whatever the hell they are, also they cost quite a bit; i read about 60-90$ each... NFC tags are about a buck a peice when bought in small quantities, less than a buck if bought in bulk, no battery required for NFC tags..

As far as use goes, the range of iBeacon is too much for certain applications, such as payment.

Also, to those saying NFC is dead, or not in use or whatever... Almost every single large retailer in Canada uses NFC, every Visa, Mastercard, and Debit card incorporates NFC, and 'tap to pay' ... CIBC (Canadian bank) has a mobile payment app that allows you to clone your CC info into the app, and use your phones NFC to pay at any retailer that accepts Visa/Mastercard/Debit tap to pay.. which is most of the large ones..
    01-10-14 03:14 PM
    Nfc is far from dead.
    Just go to an Asian country and see how much they use it. Japan,korea, China, Singapore, etc
    It's extremely common. Like crazy common.
    01-10-14 03:27 PM
    Explain
    It has been demonstrated repeatedly that the NSA has access to all forms of electronic communication. They either get that information through phone records, taping underwater cable lines to breaking the encryption. The NSA has catalog of devices to gain access to routers and switches deployed globally. I assume no protection using my z10 vs when I use my iPad.

For anyone to think using a device in 2014 is immune from the NSA has missed quite a bit about the Snowden leaks of 2013.

If the NSA wants it, they get it, down to hacking the home/work PC used to order a new BBRY (which they can intercept in transit and loaded with whatever before being delivered to you).
    01-10-14 03:29 PM
    [QUOTE=Karan Mohal;9833708] iBeacon requires batteries for their .. beacons or whatever the hell they are, also they cost quite a bit; i read about 60-90$ each... QUOTE]

Beacon's are as low as $5 and the batteries last for year (i'm not sure of your source).

Step aside iBeacon, Qualcomm has low-cost Gimbal Proximity Beacons — Tech News and Analysis
    01-10-14 03:33 PM
    Explain
    Only Snowden is informed.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 03:46 PM
    It has been demonstrated repeatedly that the NSA has access to all forms of electronic communication. They either get that information through phone records, taping underwater cable lines to breaking the encryption. The NSA has catalog of devices to gain access to routers and switches deployed globally. I assume no protection using my z10 vs when I use my iPad.

For anyone to think using a device in 2014 is immune from the NSA has missed quite a bit about the Snowden leaks of 2013.

If the NSA wants it, they get it, down to hacking the home/work PC used to order a new BBRY (which they can intercept in transit and loaded with whatever before being delivered to you).
    Thanks.
    I thought you meant the opposite for a second, so I figured I'd ask.
    I don't disagree with you.
    I have no clue what they can and can't do. While I don't believe their capacities are as extravagant as in the movies or what some conspiracy theorists portray, I'm sure we'd all be surprised as what they can probably do.
    01-10-14 03:57 PM
    [QUOTE=copeland007;9833795]
    iBeacon requires batteries for their .. beacons or whatever the hell they are, also they cost quite a bit; i read about 60-90$ each... QUOTE]

Beacon's are as low as $5 and the batteries last for year (i'm not sure of your source).

Step aside iBeacon, Qualcomm has low-cost Gimbal Proximity Beacons �€” Tech News and Analysis
    Ok so you can get knock off iBeacons for cheap... Super, $5 + battery is still more than $1 and no battery. And still doesnt replace NFC...

There are uses for LE bluetooth that NFC cannot match as well mind you. Note i said Bluetooth LE/4.0, not iCrap.
    01-10-14 04:02 PM
    [QUOTE=Karan Mohal;9833904]

Ok so you can get knock off iBeacons for cheap... Super, $5 + battery is still more than $1 and no battery. And still doesnt replace NFC...

There are uses for LE bluetooth that NFC cannot match as well mind you. Note i said Bluetooth LE/4.0, not iCrap.
    [QUOTE=Karan Mohal;9833904]

Ok so you can get knock off iBeacons for cheap... Super, $5 + battery is still more than $1 and no battery. And still doesn’t replace NFC...

There are uses for LE Bluetooth that NFC cannot match as well mind you. Note i said Bluetooth LE/4.0, not iCrap.
    Enough with the iCrap/iToy meme already. Plenty of us have Blackberry and Apple devices... I have my z10 sitting on my desk w/ an iPad. The pointless insulting of a company that has found a winning formula (so far) for making money and influencing the industry shouldn't be praised necessarily but certainly not shat on at every turn.

iBeacon is based on Bluetooth LE//4.0, it's not proprietary Apple technology. For the moment, "beacons" are geared towards Apple since they decided to embrace the technology whole hog. Developers can simply program a "beacons" to recognize any Bluetooth LE enabled devices including my z10.

If it doesn't replace NFC then it's yet another way to use your device. Your comment make it seem like Apple left a steaming pile of stuff on your front steps the day you were running late for the interview of your life. Apple is just a company that makes stuff, just like Blackberry is just a company that makes stuff.
    EddieAIG likes this.
    01-10-14 04:34 PM
27 12