I want to get a verizon droid and get out of my att iphone 2 year contract. only had it for 5 months any suggestions
    09-10-10 06:41 PM
    Pay the ETF or move out the country and come back. Either way you chose your fate when u signed the contract.
    09-10-10 06:55 PM
    step back andd punt.
    09-10-10 07:22 PM
    I want to get a verizon droid and get out of my att iphone 2 year contract. only had it for 5 months any suggestions
    are you switching carriers for the phone?
    i don't really think that's a good idea... at all.
    the only option you have is to pay the Early Termination Fee if you plan on keeping your number.. since it has to be ported to Verizon..

but be warned... the grass on the other side isn't that greener..
    09-10-10 07:49 PM
    Plain and Simple - Don't get a Droid.

If you don't like AT&T Thats one thing, but Iphone for a Droid Really? Dude Im sorry but there is no comparison. I used to want a droid and hated the Iphone. Now I won't ever swtich. I came from BlackBerry - Droid was a step up but nothing compares to the Iphone PERIOD.
    09-10-10 07:57 PM
    I have to agree with everyone else. This far into the contract there really isn't an option except to pay to get out of the contract. I've been with AT&T since the days of bag phones and I've always gotten a fair deal in my local store and over the phone.
    09-10-10 08:21 PM
    I'm assuming you have the 3GS. Just sell it and use the proceeds to pay the ETF. Shouldn't really cost you a thing after that. Another option is to transfer liability. This would mean finding someone who wants AT&T service and have them take over the contract. It works for them because they won't have to sign a brand new 2 year contract. They just pick up where you left off. If you could find someone, maybe you could sweeten the deal by giving them the iPhone for a low price to take over the contract.
    09-10-10 09:25 PM
    You can do an assumption of liability. Know someone that wants an iPhone that is out if contract? Have them take over your contract. Youcan leave free and clear if you can provide someone to take over your contract.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-10 12:32 AM
    You can do an assumption of liability. Know someone that wants an iPhone that is out if contract? Have them take over your contract. Youcan leave free and clear if you can provide someone to take over your contract.

I agree with this.
    But make sure they change the number!
    Unless you want your friends and family contacting them.
    09-11-10 12:38 AM
    OP you have 3 choices:

1) honor the contract you signed willingly, as an adult, like an adult
    2) transfer liability to someone who wants ATT
    3) pay the ETF

There are no free lunches or "get out of contract free" deals. Nor is anyone going to help you break laws or do unethical things to get out free.
    09-11-10 12:54 AM
    What is the ETF for the iPhone? If it's a 3G(s) then you should come out a little ahead if you pay the ETF and then sell the phone. That's what I would do.
    09-11-10 05:26 AM
    325 - 25 ($5 x 5 months he has completed) = $300

09-11-10 08:10 AM
    Iphone 3GS still sells well on the 2nd hand market. I would suggest selling the phone and use that to pay for your ETF. Otherwise I would say just stick with AT&T for the next 1 1/2 years and then get the latest and greatest from whatever provider you want.
    09-11-10 08:13 AM
    I agree with Mark, don't switch carriers just to get a certain phone. But at least you have the 30 day window on your side although you may not want to deal with the hassle of switching back if you are unhappy.
    09-11-10 08:19 AM
    Thanks to all for the great replies. I guess I'm acting foolish in wanting a new phone.
    moved from Verizon blackberry to iphone for all the neat bells and whistles which i love, just don't like all the dropped calls with att. live and learn.........
    09-11-10 10:23 AM
    Assuming you have the 3GS and haven't changed your data plan, it should be fairly easy to find someone to take over your contract. There are a lot of iPhone 4 owners who wouldn't mind taking over an unlimited plan.

Also, the ETF didn't go up to $325 until iPhone 4. Afaik the ETF on the 3GS (before i4 was introduced) should still be $175. I can see iPhone 4 guys willing to pay that for you to take over your contract.
    09-11-10 11:52 AM
    Assuming you have the 3GS and haven't changed your data plan, it should be fairly easy to find someone to take over your contract. There are a lot of iPhone 4 owners who wouldn't mind taking over an unlimited plan.

Also, the ETF didn't go up to $325 until iPhone 4. Afaik the ETF on the 3GS (before i4 was introduced) should still be $175. I can see iPhone 4 guys willing to pay that for you to take over your contract.
    This doesn't make sense. What does the iPhone 4 person do with their contract? Theirs doesn't magically disappear because they assumed someone elses liability. And if they cancel their line, then they have a massive ETF because of the iPhone 4. So why would someone that already has service and an iPhone 4 cancel their contract and get an ETF fee just to take over someone elses? An unlimited plan doesn't justify paying that hugh ETF.
    09-11-10 11:59 AM
    This doesn't make sense. What does the iPhone 4 person do with their contract? Theirs doesn't magically disappear because they assumed someone elses liability. And if they cancel their line, then they have a massive ETF because of the iPhone 4. So why would someone that already has service and an iPhone 4 cancel their contract and get an ETF fee just to take over someone elses? An unlimited plan doesn't justify paying that hugh ETF.
    There are some people willing to do it. Some people go through a lot of data and their 30 day window has passed and can't return the i4 and buy for $600. I'm not saying I would do it, but I've seen it in other forums. I vaguely remember somebody in this forum asking the same thing.
    09-11-10 12:18 PM
    There are some people willing to do it. Some people go through a lot of data and their 30 day window has passed and can't return the i4 and buy for $600. I'm not saying I would do it, but I've seen it in other forums. I vaguely remember somebody in this forum asking the same thing.
    Yeah if someone would eat a 300+ ETF fee for unlimited data then that's just plain silly. I mean the money you spent for the ETF could go towards any extra data charges. But I guess desperate people do desperate things for things they think they need.
    09-11-10 12:29 PM
    Yeah if someone would eat a 300+ ETF fee for unlimited data then that's just plain silly. I mean the money you spent for the ETF could go towards any extra data charges. But I guess desperate people do desperate things for things they think they need.
    It's streaming video that kills you. If you commute and watch netflix, you can easily go over 2gb in a week. At $10 per GB, it can add up real fast. I can see someone like that wanting to pay out $300 once to get unlimited data. Some also keep the other line and just maintain the minimum.

I still have unlimited and I can see the value in it. I usually get very close to 2GB and have gone over a few times in the past year, once as much as 5GB.
    09-11-10 01:04 PM
    It's streaming video that kills you. If you commute and watch netflix, you can easily go over 2gb in a week. At $10 per GB, it can add up real fast. I can see someone like that wanting to pay out $300 once to get unlimited data. Some also keep the other line and just maintain the minimum.

I still have unlimited and I can see the value in it. I usually get very close to 2GB and have gone over a few times in the past year, once as much as 5GB.
    Yeah I agree the streaming stuff does kill you. But to me I'd rather monitor my usage than to pay an extra 300 bucks. But that's just me. To each it's own.
    09-11-10 01:29 PM
    Thanks to all for the great replies. I guess I'm acting foolish in wanting a new phone.
    moved from Verizon blackberry to iphone for all the neat bells and whistles which i love, just don't like all the dropped calls with att. live and learn.........
    Sorry to hear that. I did the same thing this month and AT&T is just as good as Verizon were I live.
    09-12-10 12:33 AM
    Hey, just sell the iPhone and pay the ETF. If it's an iPhone 3Gs, those babies are selling around 300, easily(I just sold one, easily). The downside, you still down 200 + 200 when you buy the droid Inc. To me it's not worth it at all.
    iPhone is the best phone out there right now. The droid Inc doesn't even compare.
    If you like to have less drop calls, try a blackberry on AT&T. I had one and the drop calls issue was nonexistence.
    But definitely don't go to another carrier just for a phone, specially one that is not as sellable as iPhone or a blackberry. Those two brands sell super well in the 2nd hand market.

09-12-10 09:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD