Tell them to screw themselves. You're paying $30 for data and that's that. It's not
    like you're paying a $15 media net plan and using your iPhone. Those are really the
    people they go after. If I had gotten that message and called them and they told
    me that I would have cancelled right there and then.
    I hear ya. I can see the media net users being busted for using the wrong plans, and i can understand why AT&T would go after them. But windows mobile, Blackberry and the Iphone all cost the same.... so it shouldnt be to much of an issue for them. If the text and email i recieved just said.. " Hey weve noticed your using the wrong data plan with your Iphone" i probably would have ignored it. But to see " if you dont change your plan and contact your provider, you will be additionally charged for using the wrong data plan" kinda disturbed me lol. Ive always liked switching my phones at random, but this whole experience sucks lol
    02-04-10 06:55 AM
    I hear ya. I can see the media net users being busted for using the wrong plans, and i can understand why AT&T would go after them. But windows mobile, Blackberry and the Iphone all cost the same.... so it shouldnt be to much of an issue for them. If the text and email i recieved just said.. " Hey weve noticed your using the wrong data plan with your Iphone" i probably would have ignored it. But to see " if you dont change your plan and contact your provider, you will be additionally charged for using the wrong data plan" kinda disturbed me lol. Ive always liked switching my phones at random, but this whole experience sucks lol
    Any update on this? I'm curious.
    02-09-10 12:41 PM
    Any update on this? I'm curious.
    Yep. I called them and switched to the Iphones plan.....for now lol. The customer service rep did inform me when i was making the switch that they are indeed cracking down on people using the wrong plans. Like i said, whether its bs or not i dont know. But even with the unlockit on my phone for months, they somehow knew i was using my Iphone. Eventually i'll switch back to the blackberry data plan and hook up my bb 9700. Then i'll try the iphone and see how it goes. I'll be good and use the proper plan... for now lol. I know its not the answer you were looking for, but honestly im not gonna chance getting charged extra towards my bill for this. Whether its just a scare tactic or not..... For them to inform me by text and email that i was using the wrong plan is proof enough to me that they are watching whats going on.
    Last edited by onenastybird; 02-10-10 at 01:41 PM.
    02-10-10 01:36 PM
    Well heres some info i think you guys might want to see about this situation. Looks like At&t has been at this since Septmeber ....

AT&T forcing smartphones (even unlocked ones) onto smartphone data plans? (updated) -- Engadget Mobile
    02-15-10 07:27 PM
    Anyone using these methods lately ?

I'm on 8330 BB and was going to get my hubby an 8350 for Birthday during March, but he has taken a shine to the iPhone inspite of statistics, examples, etc. I have shown him BB easier to use, etc.

Is it possible during 2010 to use iPhone on BB plan with Sprint ?

thnX
    02-21-10 03:50 PM
    Anyone using these methods lately ?

I'm on 8330 BB and was going to get my hubby an 8350 for Birthday during March, but he has taken a shine to the iPhone inspite of statistics, examples, etc. I have shown him BB easier to use, etc.

Is it possible during 2010 to use iPhone on BB plan with Sprint ?

thnX
    No its not. The iphone is a gsm phone and cannot be used on sprints network. It can be unlocked to work on Tmobile and a few others but not verizon or sprint.
    02-21-10 09:56 PM
    This is why carriers blow. If I am paying the 30 bucks for unlimited data, then I should be able to use it in either device. They have to know that a lot of people have several devices for certain purposes. For example, A person may use a blackberry during the day for work stuff and then switch to their iPhone when they are done with heavy emailing or whatever. They surely wouldn't send a text out to you if you kept the Blackberry data on there and popped your sim in a dinky little flip phone that you don't even use data for.

Picture them saying "Hey we've noticed your using the wrong data plan with your Motorola V3, because of this we will downgrade you data plan to the 15.00 media net plan which will save you some money".

Never gonna happen.
    02-26-10 03:36 PM
    I used to have AT&T Blackberry Bold (with a Blackberry Unlimited Data Plan) and an Iphone and I move the Sim back and forth as I saw fit. The only issue I had was that Visual Voicemail on the Iphone didn't work. Can somebody tell me...does this still work?

I am currently on Verizon, but want to come back to AT&T, but ONLY if I can get a BB and an Iphone to operate on the same phone number. ANY WAY to accomplish this would be much appreciated.
    03-03-10 05:15 PM
    I use my 3GS on my BB plan with my 9700, and it works fine. I got a text once telling me I needed to switch to an iPhone plan, but I put my sim back in the BB and used it for a few days, and haven't heard a thing since. Both plans are $30, so i don't think it's a big deal. I haven't had any overages or anything yet, and when I switched back and forth between the 2 plans, I didn't have any extra charges either.
    03-13-10 03:18 PM
    Im using my 8900 with an iPhone 3G plan, its sucks i have no BIS but visual voice mail works on my BB. I think i might switch to the a BB plan and just swap the sim back and forth form my iphone to my BB but i would hate to loose my visual voice mail on the iphone. UGH!
    03-25-10 02:50 AM
    I use my 3GS on my BB plan with my 9700, and it works fine. I got a text once telling me I needed to switch to an iPhone plan, but I put my sim back in the BB and used it for a few days, and haven't heard a thing since. Both plans are $30, so i don't think it's a big deal. I haven't had any overages or anything yet, and when I switched back and forth between the 2 plans, I didn't have any extra charges either.
    How long have you been able to do this?
    03-25-10 02:50 AM
    I've been doing it for almost a year.

Never have gotten that text message either.
    03-25-10 12:53 PM
    I was not aware when we went with Sprint that they do not have SIM cards ...
    didn't know what a SIM card was until I came here, LOL

Now I am thinking that it is a better deal to be able to switch phones and still be able to use each one from time to time. If I leave Sprint the only person who would buy my BB is another Sprint person ... and since Sprint doesn't have the best reception in Flagstaff, Verizon does, I am sort of screwed at this point because if I get an iPhone, I won't ever be able to use the BB. right?
    03-26-10 12:23 PM
    A few months now.
    03-29-10 01:21 AM
    Just an FYI, supposedly with OS 4 you wont be able to do this anymore, just an FYI for future reference.
    04-11-10 12:22 PM
    I'm confused (trust me it doesn't take much)....

I have At&t. I have an iphone 3GS. I'm getting an 8520.
    I'm planning to use my iPhone a lot more than my Bberry, but I understand that its necessary to change my data plan to BBerry and just put the SIM in the iphone..or else I wont have BIS and the BBerry will be worthless. I know I will lose VisualVmail, I dont care.

Will I have to do the APN setting thing on page 1? or no, because I will be paying for blackberry plan, which is the same price?

in other words...if i get the bberry and change my plan to a bberry plan...will the SIM work fine in the iphone AND the Bberry?
    04-14-10 08:55 PM
    I'm confused (trust me it doesn't take much)....

I have At&t. I have an iphone 3GS. I'm getting an 8520.
    I'm planning to use my iPhone a lot more than my Bberry, but I understand that its necessary to change my data plan to BBerry and just put the SIM in the iphone..or else I wont have BIS and the BBerry will be worthless. I know I will lose VisualVmail, I dont care.

Will I have to do the APN setting thing on page 1? or no, because I will be paying for blackberry plan, which is the same price?

in other words...if i get the bberry and change my plan to a bberry plan...will the SIM work fine in the iphone AND the Bberry?
    Yeah, you just need to do the APN settings thing.
    04-15-10 02:44 PM
    Is this still working? I got as far as in the Custom APN then select my carrier which is "US-AT&T" hit "Create profile" and nothing happen ?

Iphone 3G 8gb version 3.1.3
    04-19-10 11:50 PM
    Are these steps necessary if I simply want to use an iphone on another gsm network?
    I'm currently using an unlocked 8520 t-mobile phone that is unlocked on a local gsm carrier. If I were to buy an iphone, could I stick with my blackberry data plan? Would it be easier to switch to a basic smart phone data plan to avoid these steps? Thanks in advance!
    04-20-10 02:01 AM
    Are these steps necessary if I simply want to use an iphone on another gsm network?
    I'm currently using an unlocked 8520 t-mobile phone that is unlocked on a local gsm carrier. If I were to buy an iphone, could I stick with my blackberry data plan? Would it be easier to switch to a basic smart phone data plan to avoid these steps? Thanks in advance!
    If you still want to use the Blackberry sometimes, you'll need to be on a
    data plan. So yes, you'll need to go through the same steps. When you're
    doing it you'll just choose the carrier you're using.
    04-20-10 12:22 PM
    so would this also work the other way around? I guess what I'm trying to say is if I have the iphone data plan could I use the steps above to be able to use my BB?

I called ATT to switch over to the iphone data plan since i didnt have wifi..The iphone now works with the data plan the BB isnt working of course lol..
    04-23-10 11:53 AM
    All that will work on the BB is the WAP browser. Without being on an actual BB plan
    your PIN won't be registered through RIM.
    04-23-10 03:42 PM
    All that will work on the BB is the WAP browser. Without being on an actual BB plan
    your PIN won't be registered through RIM.
    yea i figured that out when i put the sim card in the blackberry...I went ahead and followed the steps on the Iphone since i had the data plan then called cingular back and they changed it back to the bb data plan immediately lol..the iphone has been working great and i have been switching back and fourth since im sooo used to my bold...thank you soo much for the info
    04-24-10 11:17 AM
    edited thread title to let people know this is only for iPhone OS 3.0/3.1
    04-24-10 11:47 AM
    Will there be a possible option to do this is OS 4.0?
    04-25-10 11:07 PM
198 ... 5678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD