I just bought an iphone on saturday... not super thrilled with it.. but i have decided to keep it. I saw an old post on here from 08 where someone said they had a bb and an iphone and he kept both and used the blackberry data plan. Is that possible? I am on the iphone data plan and when they switched i lost the data part of my bold but the phone part still worked. I guess the question is, is it possible to use an iphone on a bb data plan for att and use both? (of course switching sim cards to either phone that i plan on using)

thanks
    cindy ..
    newbie all around

"once you go blackberry you never go back"

***edit*** check posts 7 & 8 for instructions on "How To" make this work

**This will not work on OS 4.0**
    Last edited by Garz; 10-27-09 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Add the edit
    10-27-09 03:55 PM
    Yes you can. I do it all the time between my Bold and iPhone 3GS.

You just don't get the visual voicemail with the iPhone and all your email becomes fetch instead of push.
    10-27-09 04:36 PM
    omg.. thank you so much.. calling att right now.. !!
    10-27-09 04:45 PM
    Do you have a 3GS?
    10-27-09 04:49 PM
    i got your pm.. but it won't let me respond because i don't have the required posts or something.. i do have a 3gs.. i am going to try it first before calling..

thanks so much.. .
    you rock!!
    10-27-09 05:20 PM
    My friend is using is unlocked iphone on his tmo bb plan...
    10-27-09 06:05 PM
    10-27-09 06:12 PM
    Special thanks to Duvi for this:

If you have wifi, it will be easier to to, but if you don't, you'll need to switch to the iPhone data plan until you can get the configuration.

From your iPhone, just go to "http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/" and then click Continue. At this point, choose Custom APN and scroll down to "carrier". Choose "US - AT&T" and then click create profile. You can choose to add v3 Tethering + MMS. The tethering will work, not MMS. On the next screen, click 'Install" and you'll be all set after that. With wifi, you can do it with your BB data plan, without, you won't be able to until you change to iPhone data and then you can change back.

This process created adds a WebClip to your home screen in which you can delete.

The reason for this is because the iPhone 3GS + 3.0 doesn't have the APN filled in. This is to stop users from using the wrong data plan.

Note: On your phone go to google and search "APN unlock for iPhone." You'll see the
    same link for the unlocit.co.nz thing and when you click on that one it should
    take you to the correct page. There's a web browser version and an iPhone version.

The iPhone version should come out when you click the link from the google search
    results.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by forever29; 12-09-09 at 07:20 PM.
    10-27-09 07:32 PM

If you have wifi, it will be easier to to, but if you don't, you'll need to switch to the iPhone data plan until you can get the configuration.

From your iPhone, just go to "http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/" and then click Continue. At this point, choose Custom APN and scroll down to "carrier". Choose "US - AT&T" and then click create profile. You can choose to add v3 Tethering + MMS. The tethering will work, not MMS. On the next screen, click 'Install" and you'll be all set after that. With wifi, you can do it with your BB data plan, without, you won't be able to until you change to iPhone data and then you can change back.

This process created adds a WebClip to your home screen in which you can delete.

The reason for this is because the iPhone 3GS + 3.0 doesn't have the APN filled in. This is to stop users from using the wrong data plan.

All that info was on the link I posted above but was good to break it down to a easy step. They dont need to read through the rest of that article. Good work!

**edit** I have seen may people ask how to do this on CB and on Twitter so it this thread is stickied
    10-27-09 07:44 PM
    i am gonna do this in the morning.. however one more question and i am done.. and once again.. i am a totally dummy when it comes to this stuff.. can att double bill me or anything like that? i don't see why this should be an issue for them .. i am on the unlimted browsing and text plan for bb(or should i say used to be till i got my iphone) .. but .. att.. they are a greedy *** company and i can see them tacking on some crap to my bill
    10-27-09 08:39 PM
    and again.. thanks for the help!! crackberry is an addiction i never wish to be cured from!
    10-27-09 08:40 PM
    If you're paying you're $30 BB data plan then you're fine. I was told that they go after people who use the cheaper media net plans and such to use the iphone. I've been doing it for about a month now and my bill is normal.

10-27-09 09:04 PM
    2 thumbs up... iphone running very smoothly... however it did lock up a twice.. but .. i am gonna let that go... thanks so much!!
    10-28-09 09:26 AM
    2 thumbs up... iphone running very smoothly... however it did lock up a twice.. but .. i am gonna let that go... thanks so much!!
    What do you mean it locked up? What exactly happened?
    10-28-09 12:47 PM
    My friend is using is unlocked iphone on his tmo bb plan...
    how do you do this with tmobile my 3g is unlocked and jailbroken on 3.0 thanks

10-29-09 11:46 AM
    how do you do this with tmobile my 3g is unlocked and jailbroken on 3.0 thanks

i figured it out just type in apn settings

10-29-09 01:19 PM
    Never knew you can use bb plan for a iphone 3gs
    10-29-09 10:58 PM
    is it really worked?
    11-01-09 11:37 PM
    from what I have read, data on an iphone and bb are different, even if you are on att, but why would someone want an iphone? beats me!
    11-02-09 09:31 PM
    I can vouch for this method, I used it one time and it worked like a dream.
    11-03-09 08:18 AM
    Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is the benefit of keeping a BB data plan on an iPhone-or any other device?
    11-03-09 10:12 AM
    Probably just to make life easier, so you don't have to go back and forth switching plans.

But I'd start using this simply to avoid pro-rated bills.
    11-03-09 10:18 AM
    from what I have read, data on an iphone and bb are different, even if you are on att, but why would someone want an iphone? beats me!
    Because it's our choice.

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is the benefit of keeping a BB data plan on an iPhone-or any other device?
    Since I use a Blackberry and the iPhone sometimes it benefits me more to
    use the BB data plan in order for my PIN to be activated whenever my sim
    is in my Blackberry. There's really no point in putting an iPhone data plan sim
    in a Blackberry because there's really no benefit. You lose the PUSH email
    and things like BBM.

Now sometimes I feel like using my iPhone so I simply pop the sim in there and
    all I'll lose is visual voicemail and PUSH email. But I still get fetch email.
    11-03-09 01:22 PM

I see no "continue" when I go to that page on my iPhone. It looks the same as on my PC. What might I be doing wrong? Thanks for any assistance.
    11-06-09 04:50 PM
    With bell there allowing you to do this anyways, you dont need the iphone plan you can either get that or the bb data or windows
    11-06-09 08:55 PM
198 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD