Okay. So I am in California on vacation with a friend who has the dubious pleasure of using an iPhone4. He was trying to ensure he only got phone calls over WiFi.

I suggested he just turn off the Mobile Network.

I quickly showed him what I meant on my Bold 9900. Under manage connections, unchecked the box next to "Mobile Network".

Funny thing--we could not find anything similar on his phone. We tried every place we could think of, but to no avail.

I even tried to search online. All I could find were suggestions to pull the SIM card, or to use airplane mode.

Wow! I mean this is 2012! Shouldn't it be easy to turn off and on phone service on any phone?

What the heck is Apple thinking?

Of course I am probably just not geeky enough to find the simple answer. So hopefully someone here can advise me.
    03-14-12 12:19 AM
    I checked on mine and it seems like you can turn off 3G and Cellular data but don't know if that would completely still only reduce it to 2G or edge. I didnt even realize I could have done WIFI calling with my iPhone.
    03-14-12 01:22 AM
    Imore.com is a good place to find an answer to your friends' question

Also, i had no idea it was possible to receive a phone call over wifi, cool
    03-14-12 01:35 AM
    kemj and Bobcat665 like this.
    03-14-12 01:50 AM
    Stop!
    Hammer time!
    03-14-12 02:49 AM
    go into settings, turn airplane mode on. then turn wifi on. it will override airplane mode. done.
    03-14-12 03:19 AM
    go into settings, turn airplane mode on. then turn wifi on. it will override airplane mode. done.
    Maybe that might actually work but, let's face it, that's a pretty lame workaround compared to BB's much more elegant solution...
    03-14-12 04:01 AM
    How is it a lame workaround? It's like 2 clicks and a slide icon.
    03-14-12 07:23 PM
    Settings/General/Network turn off cellular data. Simple as that.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    03-15-12 07:24 AM
    Maybe that might actually work but, let's face it, that's a pretty lame workaround compared to BB's much more elegant solution...
    A battery pull is an elegant solution?
    TGR1 likes this.
    03-15-12 08:53 AM
    Actually, it appears you didn't read my post. He needs to turn off CELLULAR communications. Your answer is fine if he needed to turn off cellular DATA.

Thanks for trying.
    03-16-12 11:52 AM
    How is it a lame workaround? It's like 2 clicks and a slide icon.
    When I try it works out to 8 actions start to finish. It only takes 3 on my 9900. Of course that is start to finish which includes closing the settings display/application.

Besides that there is the completely confusing concept of turning on Airplane mode, only to immediately turn something on that defeats the purpose of Airplane mode.

It is so much clearer on the BlackBerry. Need to turn off the cellular communications, turn off the Mobile Network.

Direct answer to specific need.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    03-16-12 12:03 PM
    Actually, it appears you didn't read my post. He needs to turn off CELLULAR communications. Your answer is fine if he needed to turn off cellular DATA.

Thanks for trying.
    You don't need to be a dik about it. You either want advice or you're picking a fight one of the two which is it?

There is no way for the iPhone to receive phone calls over Wi-Fi. Unless you are talking about using something along the lines of Skype? In which case turn off the phone and turn on Wi-Fi, who cares how your BlackBerry does it, they are different devices.

If your intent is to argue with every suggestion posed to you just ask for the thread to be closed because it's pointless and you certainly do not want to delve into the shortcomings of the respective devices.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xandermac; 03-16-12 at 12:24 PM.
    03-16-12 12:19 PM
    I felt that I explained the issue fairly well. But your response did not seem to have enjoyed the same benefits.

Interesting. That you are so defensive, considering your response, quote "Simple as that" end quote.

It seems to me that your response was condescending. So I matched your tone.

I suggest you consider your responses more diligently in future. That will go a long way in avoiding unnecessary conflict.
    03-16-12 11:49 PM
    Your question has no answer because your understanding of the technology is flawed, the iPhone doesn't make/receive wifi calls. The responses you recieved are the best approximation to either disable cellular calls or cellular data. Perhaps your friend should get a phone that allows UMA calling, like a blackberry because he cannot achieve his goal on his dubious iPhone.

And on that note welcome to the ignore trolls list.
    Last edited by xandermac; 03-18-12 at 12:15 PM.
    03-18-12 12:13 PM
    Actually there is an "App" for that. As is the Apple answer to any issue. He has an application he installed that allows calls over WiFi between phones with the software installed.

In the end this issue really points to how BlackBerry phones are in fact providing a better experience.
    03-19-12 11:22 AM
    You got your answer in Post 13, the procedure is still the same whether you like it or not. Yes, that one thing is easier on a blackberry

edit: Assuming of course that you can find the manage wireless networks icon! I used one of my blackberries last night, granted it was an OS5 9000 (and I actually use quicklaunch to manage wireless on/off) and the icon was buried away, took a few minutes to find the darn thing. Easier on OS6, not so much on OS5. Also, as a little test, give someone with no prior knowledge of a bb your device and have them connect to a new WiFi network! That's always fun to watch!.
    Last edited by xandermac; 03-20-12 at 08:32 AM.
    03-19-12 06:09 PM
    You got your answer in Post 13, the procedure is still the same whether you like it or not. Yes, that one thing is easier on a blackberry

edit: Assuming of course that you can find the manage wireless networks icon! I used one of my blackberries last night, granted it was an OS5 9000 (and I actually use quicklaunch to manage wireless on/off) and the icon was buried away, took a few minutes to find the darn thing. Easier on OS6, not so much on OS5. Also, as a little test, give someone with no prior knowledge of a bb your device and have them connect to a new WiFi network! That's always fun to watch!.
    Yes, it would be more difficult using OS 5. Luckily I am using OS 7. Of course I am comparing 2 phones from the past year. Hence my observation that Apple is missing functionality that should be there in 2012. Have you tried a Bold 9900?
    03-21-12 04:00 PM
    Just messed with one at the store. Not enough to have a valid opinion.
    03-21-12 06:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD