I had told some of you that someone sold me their iphone...I got it today....yay. On the back it says iphone 16GB. It does not say 3G or 3GS. I went to settings and it is OS4 (8A293) and firmware is 05.13.04. I got the phone and charger nobox no book.

I'm a BB person and I have to really read up on jailbreaking and unlocking since I am on TMO.

I feel kinda dumb that I don't know what version In the settings, there is an option to turn on and off 3G so it has to be 3G right? I know I wont get 3G on TMO. I just need to know what I have so I can read the right stuff to JB and unlock.

Wow...phone looks awesome!

Many thanks
    06-30-10 09:39 PM
    Avec Mobile: The difference between Apple iPhone 3Gs and 3G: speed, keyboard, compass, 3 megapixels, video recording

On-screen keyboard is available for all applications also in wide-format horizontal mode.

Thanks to a more powerful processor, the iPhone 3Gs can record video clips. Video resolution is 640x480 pixels at 30 frames per second. Audio is captured is well.

The digital camera has been upgraded to 3 megapixels from 2 megapixels.

For power users, cut, copy & paste features are available for moving text and objects from one application to another.

Phone-to-phone picture messaging, known as MMS (Multimedia Service) lets iPhone users send and receive photos from other phones without having to access email.

Audio recording is a new feature on the iPhone 3Gs.

The iPhone 3Gs can playback stereo music to a stereo Bluetooth headset (A2DP feature).

Search function lets you search information stored on the iPhone 3Gs.

Digital compass can show direction even when standing still. GPS requires movement in order to point the direction.

Longer battery life.
    06-30-10 09:49 PM
    Thanks. I know I am being dense but doesn't it tell me anywhere on the phone.
    06-30-10 10:10 PM
    If it says 32gb, you know it's a 3Gs.

If you see the compass app, it's a 3Gs.

So, if you do not see the compass app
    and it's not jailbroken, it's a 3G.

I say not jailbroken because it could be
    hidden.
    06-30-10 10:52 PM
    Thanks. I do have the compass. Not jailbroken ...yet! That's my next mission.
    06-30-10 11:13 PM
    Thanks. I do have the compass. Not jailbroken ...yet! That's my next mission.
    I had tried to send you a message about that
    and was wondering if you had jailbroken. A
    couple things that is important is whether it
    was an iPhone that was made before Dec 09.
    The second would be whether you're on 4.0
    or 3.1.3 (or earlier).
    06-30-10 11:50 PM
    I actually have a 3Gs an older 3Gs, but
    I'm on 4.0 and will be trying to jailbreak
    as well as I need to have it unlocked.
    06-30-10 11:51 PM
    Wouldn't the easiest way to tell be just holding the button down and seeing if voice control comes up? I don't remember my 3G having that feature, but my 3GS has it.
    07-01-10 01:36 AM
    Wouldn't the easiest way to tell be just holding the button down and seeing if voice control comes up? I don't remember my 3G having that feature, but my 3GS has it.
    That would probably be 3rd easiest as the
    other two can be done a lot faster than
    checking for voice control... but yeah that
    is another way to check.
    07-01-10 01:42 AM
    Thanks. It is 3GS. I am a novice with the iphone but can follow directions pretty well. I'm on OS4 but not sure of the baseline. I tried that program that tells yoo but I think I have to have itunes..still reading up. I do not know if it was made before 12-09. I see that jailbreaking is not officially out yet (I think) for OS4 so I am contemplating waiting till it's out or downgrading...don't know. If you have any info with links to step by step EASY directions for the uninitiated, feel free to send.
    Thanks for the answers and help. I think it will be awesome, once I get it going...I've been playing around on wifi .
    07-01-10 03:05 PM
    So.... really, where did you find the phone??
    07-03-10 01:36 AM
    Thanks. It is 3GS. I am a novice with the iphone but can follow directions pretty well. I'm on OS4 but not sure of the baseline. I tried that program that tells yoo but I think I have to have itunes..still reading up. I do not know if it was made before 12-09. I see that jailbreaking is not officially out yet (I think) for OS4 so I am contemplating waiting till it's out or downgrading...don't know. If you have any info with links to step by step EASY directions for the uninitiated, feel free to send.
    Thanks for the answers and help. I think it will be awesome, once I get it going...I've been playing around on wifi .
    Cool... glad you like it. To find out about whether
    you have the older 3GS (better for jailbreaking) or
    newer one, do the following:

Settings > General > About

Take note of the 4th and 5th number. If it is less
    than 40, you're good.

Example: 8502395AB1C

23 < 40 therefore, older 3GS.
    07-03-10 02:20 AM
    Thanks. It is the newer. 948

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-10 10:12 AM