I know that it can be reversed with an OS update but why do they allow it at all? It seems like something they would make impossible on their phones. Mind you, I don't know much about it so maybe there is something they are doing to tackle it that I'm not aware of.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-11 11:50 PM
    They can't stop it because they can't completely lock their phones.
    05-21-11 09:02 AM
    I've wondered something similar. With installous installed, you can DL for free all the apps in the app store. I wonder why Apple hasn't taken setps, e.g., legal action to prevent this. I do realize that installous is a repository for cracked apps, and that people DL from it, and not actually the app store.
    05-21-11 09:40 AM
    Why wouldn't they allow it? It doesn't affect there sales.
    If anything they sell more ipods/iphones because of it.
    Most of those apps are created by other authors
    not Apple themselves.
    Only way to stop jailbreak is with firmware updates
    and that now is done due only to issues or better
    updates for there product.
    05-21-11 11:56 AM
    isnt it law now too?
    they cant stop people from jailbreaking.
    05-21-11 08:09 PM
    They are trying as hard as they can. It's just that the jailbreak community can outprogram the iOS guys. Half the time, they've got the crack ready before the official OS is even released...
    05-21-11 08:44 PM
    isnt it law now too?
    Apple has quietly pulled the plug on a jailbreak detecting API (Application Programming Interface) with the advent of the new iOS 4.2.1 update back in December reported NetworkWorld. This jailbreak detection API was introduced with iOS 4.0 update.
    Jailbreaking iPhone and other iOS devices for fair usage is legal but there are risks involved in it. A very small percentage of jailbroken iPhone users are aware of the security risks involved in jailbreaking devices.
    05-21-11 11:25 PM
    isnt it law now too?
    It is. There was a court case or some other ruling that ended with the conclusion that jail breaking is legal.

Apple can change their OS to make it harder, but they don't have any legal recourse to go after those who figure out how to jailbreak.
    05-22-11 06:13 PM
    Apple doesn't allowing but continually tries to prevent it each time the OS is updated and trying to lock the baseband. But the devs work around the clock to "break the code". And legally, Apple can't stop people from jailbreaking or unlocking. All they can do is say they will offer no support for it. But at the end of the day, they make money because of it. The more people out there jailbreaking and unlocking iPhones is good for Apple because that means more people are using it. I'm about to unlock an iPhone for my wife to use on TMO. I'd imagine Apple doesn't care because that person is likely using a lot of Apple's services i.e. app store, itunes, etc.... and I'm pretty sure they're fine with that.
    05-23-11 11:48 AM
    If anyone would push Apple to make jailbreaking even harder, it would be the carriers.
    Mostly because of tethering/hot spot. Carriers are starting to become more hands-on
    when dealing with people who are tethering without a hot spot plan.
    05-23-11 01:13 PM
    If anyone would push Apple to make jailbreaking even harder, it would be the carriers.
    Mostly because of tethering/hot spot. Carriers are starting to become more hands-on
    when dealing with people who are tethering without a hot spot plan.
    Agreed. For each person a carrier gains by jailbreaking and unlocking that's a lost for another. And you're right about things like tethering. From all the rumors it looks that an iPhone will be on the horizon for TMO and Sprint by next year. And it looks like TMO would get one regardless of the merger since iPhones in europe have TMO 3G bands anyway. Eventually they will all have one anyway. But what I really hope is that Apple says "F U" to the carriers and put pentabands in their devices so it can be used across all carriers regardless of frequencies. That way when I leave VZW, I don't have to sell that iPhone and buy the same one with different bands to use on TMO. Only Nokia has done that so far. If Apple did that then maybe they wouldn't look like the "devil" to the ones who stand on the sidelines and criticize. They'd actually be doing something that benefits all customers.
    05-23-11 02:06 PM
    Indeed they can't stop. If they update their OS with anti-jailbreaking system then jailbreak developers will just counter this with updating their jailbreak software
    05-27-11 07:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD