When you touch an app to load it on your iPhone or iPad, instead of the program, it sends you a picture of the program, a completely fake, non-functional image to make it appear that the app loaded super fast. If you touch it, you'll find that it doesn't do anything, because it's a facade meant to hide the fact that the actual program hasn't loaded yet, with you pawing at it like a fly landing on a drawing of another fly and trying to hump it.

Meanwhile, the real program loads in the background, and a few seconds later will seamlessly replace the fake screenshot. They're just betting that your fingers won't be fast enough to hit the non-functioning buttons before the real ones take their place. It's kind of like a restaurant sending you out a photorealistic picture of a hamburger to make you think their kitchen is super fast, then quickly slipping the real burger under the picture while you're stuffing your napkin into your shirt collar.

A user named raygundan pointed this out in the comments at Reddit, and it sounded to us like a ridiculous urban legend, but it appears to be common knowledge among people familiar with the devices. Basically, the last time you used the app, your device saved a screenshot of it, then uses it to build the loading animation for the next time you launch it. It looks cool, you were none the wiser, it makes you feel like your expensive device is working more smoothly. And, the next time you use your iPhone, you'll completely forget that we told you this. You'll be blissfully enjoying their false reality, like a very small, sad version of the Matrix.

Article:
    The Sneaky Lie Your Apple Devices Are Telling You | Cracked.com

Sources:
    iPhone 'Screenshot' Exploit Exposed -- AppAdvice
    raygundan comments on Reddit
    How iOS tricks you into thinking it's fast

Now, discuss, fellas.
    Hah! I just tried it with the score mobile app and what u said is true. Started with that non-functional screenshot then about 3 or 4 seconds later the actual app started loading. Same with the Facebook app. Now I see why those apps take longer to load than other apps. Thanks for the heads up tho.
    06-03-12 12:44 AM
    *shrugs* Not a big deal. Most if not all the apps I use load instanly.
    Oh.. Its never a big deal when it comes to ios... *shrugs*
    06-03-12 01:13 AM
    Actually, If this was a BB thing, I'd care even less.
    brucep1 likes this.
    06-03-12 01:44 AM
    This was news in 2007. Now it's just olds, and a bit boring.
    06-03-12 07:57 AM
    I hate my i4. And my i4s. And my iPad 3. I'm going back to BlackBerry. I miss the never ending freeze ups, battery pulls and non working browser.
    You mean you would go back to an old bb. Nothing wrong with the trick if makes people think it's super fast but in reality it only replaces the little bit of spinning circle and isn't really any faster.

As mcflys' sig says Abra cadabra. Not magic just a trick.
    stackberry369 likes this.
    06-03-12 08:05 AM
    and a few seconds later will seamlessly replace the fake screenshot.
    Like an I labeled my video incorrectly and this is actually my ipad2, however I would ask anyone to point out where the "few seconds later" delay is. Maybe back in 2007 this thread would be relevant.

06-03-12 08:37 AM
    Oh come on. If it were RIM you guys would be all over it like flies on...

But it really isn't a big deal.
    Aside from the article being from six years ago, this is also true. If it WERE RIM, the usual suspects would be all over this.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    06-03-12 08:51 AM
    Actually, If this was a BB thing, I'd care even less.
    I didn't expect anyone lesser to come to his rescue.
    06-03-12 09:49 AM

No public out cry = no big deal....OP is trolling....

I seen all your magic tricks
    Abracadabralous
    My crowd gather around; it's the resurrection of Lazarus
    06-03-12 09:58 AM
    Aside from the article being from six years ago, this is also true. If it WERE RIM, the usual suspects would be all over this.
    The link I posted was this year. Bringing up an old finding?
    06-03-12 10:42 AM
    The link I posted was this year. Bringing up an old finding?
    Running new hardware (iPhone 4 onward), I cannot imagine i've seen any iOS app take more than one second to load up...
    06-03-12 11:00 AM
    Windows Phone 7 developer guidelines recommend the same thing, put a screenshot of the app in the splash screen. It doesn't mean Apps are not fast, its simply a psychological trick to make loading seem faster, because you are not staring at an actual splash screen.
    06-03-12 11:18 AM
    Yep like I said it is no big deal. Something I never heard of.
    06-03-12 11:28 AM
    If RIM did this it would not be a big deal at all. This allows for a smoother experience.

Does anyone know if Android does the same thing? Apps open instantly on my Galaxy Nexus (besides apps like pandora which opens instantly, but has a load screen), and I am able to use them right away.

I was able to do the same on my iPhone 4 as well. I was able to use apps within a second of touching the icon.
    06-03-12 11:39 AM
    Be interesting if they do. I wonder if BB10 will also use the trick.
    06-03-12 11:49 AM
    tried about 10 apps on my nexus...all usable in about 1 second or less so i am guessing that android 4+ doesnt use this atleast
    06-03-12 11:52 AM
    I didn't expect anyone lesser to come to his rescue.
    I'm not rescuing anyone.

I think this little 'trick' has an interesting effect that was probably never envisioned by its creator.
    As well as making an app seem to load faster, it also exposes ones pre-existing bias.
    If you already have a negative bias towards ios, this trick 'appears' to prove you right.

Pure Apple Magic!
    06-03-12 02:44 PM
    tried about 10 apps on my nexus...all usable in about 1 second or less so i am guessing that android 4+ doesnt use this atleast
    Yea. Like I said, the only app that is unusable instantly is Pandora. That was the same way on my BBs and iPhone. Even then, I can hit the menu button instantly while pandora is loading my station list and quit (Android), so I guess it is instant as well.
    06-03-12 03:26 PM
    It's amusing watching the Apple folk getting on the defensive. Same usual suspects. A nice Window into what the future might hold.
    06-03-12 08:41 PM
    It's amusing watching the Apple folk getting on the defensive. Same usual suspects. A nice Window into what the future might hold.

Its amusing to see non apple users troll the apple board with useless threads....

Abracadabralous
    06-03-12 08:44 PM
    Its amusing to see non apple users troll the apple board with useless threads....

Abracadabralous
    Really?!?!!? With the enormous amounts of BB hate threads that are all over the rest of the site?
    It's very telling that the Apple forum on CB can lie dormant for days yet the BB forums and filled with iOS and Android users spilling their vitriol filled rantings over every BB thread.

Funny, I see you there as well.

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ml#post7433891

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...5/#post7420208

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...ml#post7418806

Pot, meet kettle....
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 06-03-12 at 08:57 PM.
    06-03-12 08:50 PM
    Really?!?!!? With the enormous amounts of BB hate threads that are all over the rest of the site?
    It's very telling that the Apple forum on CB can lie dormant for days yet the BB forums and filled with iOS and Android users spilling their vitriol filled rantings over every BB thread.

Funny, I see you there as well.

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ml#post7433891

Pot, meet kettle....

A majority of those threads are started by BB users....

Abracadabralous
    06-03-12 08:53 PM

Abracadabralous

There are some funny conspiracy theories in that thread...

Abracadabralous
    06-03-12 08:55 PM

Abracadabralous
    Regardless of who started what.

It is greatly disingenuous to complain about people posting anti Apple threads when you do so much anti BB posting yourself.

On a BB forum on a BB site.
    06-03-12 09:00 PM
    Regardless of who started what.

It is greatly disingenuous to complain about people posting anti Apple threads when you do so much anti BB posting yourself.

On a BB forum on a BB site.

I comment when users spread misinformation ( which happens a lot on CB) regarding ios/android...I'm not anti Rimm...Sorry, I just can't praise and twist every bit of bad news like some users on this board....

Abracadabralous
    06-03-12 09:10 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD