When you touch an app to load it on your iPhone or iPad, instead of the program, it sends you a picture of the program, a completely fake, non-functional image to make it appear that the app loaded super fast. If you touch it, you'll find that it doesn't do anything, because it's a facade meant to hide the fact that the actual program hasn't loaded yet, with you pawing at it like a fly landing on a drawing of another fly and trying to hump it.

Meanwhile, the real program loads in the background, and a few seconds later will seamlessly replace the fake screenshot. They're just betting that your fingers won't be fast enough to hit the non-functioning buttons before the real ones take their place. It's kind of like a restaurant sending you out a photorealistic picture of a hamburger to make you think their kitchen is super fast, then quickly slipping the real burger under the picture while you're stuffing your napkin into your shirt collar.

A user named raygundan pointed this out in the comments at Reddit, and it sounded to us like a ridiculous urban legend, but it appears to be common knowledge among people familiar with the devices. Basically, the last time you used the app, your device saved a screenshot of it, then uses it to build the loading animation for the next time you launch it. It looks cool, you were none the wiser, it makes you feel like your expensive device is working more smoothly. And, the next time you use your iPhone, you'll completely forget that we told you this. You'll be blissfully enjoying their false reality, like a very small, sad version of the Matrix.

Article:
    The Sneaky Lie Your Apple Devices Are Telling You | Cracked.com

Sources:
    iPhone 'Screenshot' Exploit Exposed -- AppAdvice
    raygundan comments on Reddit
    How iOS tricks you into thinking it's fast

Now, discuss, fellas.
    Last edited by FrankIAm; 06-02-12 at 03:37 PM.
    06-01-12 11:29 PM
    Mind sees no hour glass or clock etc mind thinks wow.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    06-01-12 11:34 PM
    *shrugs* Not a big deal. Most if not all the apps I use load instanly.
    06-01-12 11:38 PM
    That's kind of like the optical illusion used to make it seem like orientation change happens quicker on some devices than others. On some phones, instead of a straight screen redraw, a small animation is invoked to give the illusion that the device is reacting quicker.
    06-01-12 11:40 PM
    RIM shouldn't even put the loading green circle in BB10/playbook. Just get rid of that code all together. It may run faster too lol
    06-01-12 11:46 PM
    I don't find the apps slow, but rather any function that uses wireless data. I thought that was due to BB compressing and decompressing data on the fly and thus being much more efficient than other platforms. Is this correct?
    06-01-12 11:52 PM
    Yeah and if Siri worked like she does in the commercials I could hammer 16 penny nails through a 2x4 with my ----!
    06-02-12 12:49 AM
    I actually think this is pretty clever.

My favorite hinges about the Bold 9930 is that when you open up Twitter or Facebook, the app loads immediately. There is absolutely no loading at all, it is instant!
    06-02-12 09:31 AM
    The news would have me piqued, were it not for the fact that the source article is dated 2008.
    Tell me it remains the same in 2012 and I would be mildly peeved.
    Pete6 and brucep1 like this.
    06-02-12 09:48 AM
    06-02-12 09:52 AM
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Wow Kbz that post loaded fast.
    kbz1960 and BlackStormRising like this.
    06-02-12 10:11 AM
    He knows how to go fetch! LOL!
    06-02-12 10:49 AM
    When you touch an app to load it on your iPhone or iPad, instead of the program, it sends you a picture of the program, a completely fake, non-functional image to make it appear that the app loaded super fast. If you touch it, you'll find that it doesn't do anything, because it's a facade meant to hide the fact that the actual program hasn't loaded yet, with you pawing at it like a fly landing on a drawing of another fly and trying to hump it.

Meanwhile, the real program loads in the background, and a few seconds later will seamlessly replace the fake screenshot. They're just betting that your fingers won't be fast enough to hit the non-functioning buttons before the real ones take their place. It's kind of like a restaurant sending you out a photorealistic picture of a hamburger to make you think their kitchen is super fast, then quickly slipping the real burger under the picture while you're stuffing your napkin into your shirt collar.

A user named raygundan pointed this out in the comments at Reddit, and it sounded to us like a ridiculous urban legend, but it appears to be common knowledge among people familiar with the devices. Basically, the last time you used the app, your device saved a screenshot of it, then uses it to build the loading animation for the next time you launch it. It looks cool, you were none the wiser, it makes you feel like your expensive device is working more smoothly. And, the next time you use your iPhone, you'll completely forget that we told you this. You'll be blissfully enjoying their false reality, like a very small, sad version of the Matrix.

Article:
    The Sneaky Lie Your Apple Devices Are Telling You | Cracked.com

Sources:
    iPhone 'Screenshot' Exploit Exposed -- AppAdvice
    raygundan comments on Reddit

Now, discuss, fellas.
    Smart!! RIM should do something like that!

- Charles
    06-02-12 11:38 AM
    Its just a glorified load screen. A second or two won't kill me
    06-02-12 12:09 PM
    Thanks, kbz, updated.
    Last edited by FrankIAm; 06-02-12 at 03:38 PM.
    FigureThisOut likes this.
    06-02-12 03:36 PM
    I swear I didn't use an iOS trick.
    Mr.Monty and MasterOfBinary like this.
    06-02-12 05:03 PM
    Someone actually took time to reveal this?
    brucep1 likes this.
    06-02-12 06:06 PM
    Someone actually took time to reveal this?
    I know. This is an earth shattering revelation that will most likely change the course of human history.
    06-02-12 08:47 PM
    Oh come on. If it were RIM you guys would be all over it like flies on...

But it really isn't a big deal.
    Barljo and maddie1128 like this.
    06-02-12 08:51 PM
    I know. This is an earth shattering revelation that will most likely change the course of human history.
    Look, I posted this on the Blackberry General Discussion so that you guys wouldn't get butthurt. The mods moved it here. Now, let me ask you something. What is so groundbreaking about each iPhone/iPod/iPad release? What do they do or improve? Besides making them prettier, apple doesn't really up the ante... A better camera, a better display and a better processor (which is mandatory because as time passes, technology improves, yet, a decent amount of their customers drop their jaws to the ground because of it) Apple hasn't invented nothing. Those folks just stamp a half eaten apple and a lower case I on something that has already been done and call it the best one ever (every single release, which is every year). Plus, you guys been stuck with the same UI since the first one came out, just a bunch of dull squares on a screen with little dots underneath.
    Also, the thing is overpriced, and yet, in order to release its full potential or to actually customize it/change something on it you'd have to jailbreak it.

The A5 is a rip-off from another processor designed by ARM
    They didn't do the capacitive touchscreens
    And the "Retina Display" claim is very biased.

Last edited by FrankIAm; 06-02-12 at 09:56 PM.
    06-02-12 09:49 PM
    Look, I posted this on the Blackberry General Discussion so that you guys wouldn't get butthurt. The mods moved it here. Now, let me ask you something. What is so groundbreaking about each iPhone/iPod/iPad release? What do they do or improve? Besides making them prettier, apple doesn't really up the ante... A better camera, a better display and a better processor (which is mandatory because as time passes, technology improves, yet, a decent amount of their customers drop their jaws to the ground because of it) Apple hasn't invented nothing. Those folks just stamp a half eaten apple and a lower case I on something that has already been done and call it the best one ever (every single release, which is every year). Plus, you guys been stuck with the same UI since the first one came out, just a bunch of dull squares on a screen with little dots underneath.
    Also, the thing is overpriced, and yet, in order to release its full potential or to actually customize it/change something on it you'd have to jailbreak it.

Click to view quoted image

Lol, dude no one cares....No need to get bent out of shape....Have a coke and a smile.

I seen all your magic tricks
    Abracadabralous
    My crowd gather around; it's the resurrection of Lazarus
    brucep1 likes this.
    06-02-12 10:12 PM

Okay.........
    06-02-12 10:55 PM
    I hate my i4. And my i4s. And my iPad 3. I'm going back to BlackBerry. I miss the never ending freeze ups, battery pulls and non working browser.
    Crude Berry likes this.
    06-02-12 11:40 PM
    I hate my i4. And my i4s. And my iPad 3. I'm going back to BlackBerry. I miss the never ending freeze ups, battery pulls and non working browser.
    Stirrer.
    06-02-12 11:45 PM
    :rolls over, goes back to sleep:
    06-03-12 12:09 AM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD