While the previous versions of the iPhone haven't really peaked my interest (plus I would never go to AT&T), the new 4.0 OS's "multitasking" ability and other feature have me wanting to see it as at least an option on Sprint as a CDMA World Phone. There are single chipsets now that can do both CDMA and GSM/UMTS (actually UMTS is CDMA). I'm also seeing CDMA Rel B support (which was supposedly dead at one point) which makes me wonder if either Sprint or Verizon is looking to implement Rel B which would allow for simultaneous Voice and Data to work as a stopgap while 4G is rolling out.

I guess I just want more options than just one Blackberry, or two Windows Mobile World Phones, and the New OS could make the iPhone a cantidate, or maybe a Droid too.
    04-09-10 08:54 AM
    Ha not happening.
    04-09-10 10:36 AM
    I'd say wait for the HTC EVO. That's gonna be the Android phone to have on Sprint. Killer specs!
    04-09-10 10:53 AM
    Do we need another iphone/sprint thread? there's no less than 2 or 3 already here.

Its not happening, Sprint doesnt have many CDMA customers left and no one else is using WIMAX except Sprint. Apple isnt going to R&D and build a phone to sell 500k or a million of them.
    04-09-10 11:34 AM
    Do we need another iphone/sprint thread? there's no less than 2 or 3 already here.

Its not happening, Sprint doesnt have many CDMA customers left and no one else is using WIMAX except Sprint. Apple isnt going to R&D and build a phone to sell 500k or a million of them.
    There are huge CDMA markets in China, India, and growing in Asia. A phone developed for Sprint would work on Verizon and the growing markets listed above, and open up Apple to almost 150 million potential customers in the US alone that can't have now. And if Apple uses its leverage, Sprint and Verizon could support both data and voice simultaneously by upgrading there networks to support SVDO.

Also the HTC EVO won't meet my requirment for world phone. All specs are CDMA/Wimax, no GSM or UMTS when oversees.
    04-09-10 03:05 PM
    HTC isnt Apple it doesnt matter what they do.

And they wont be upgrading EVDO they already passed on EVDO Rev B in favor of their respective 4G techs which Sprint is slowly getting out there and VZW will be pushing out later in the year. LTE is already shown not to be able to do simultaneous CDMA voice and LTE data simultaneously. Neither can WIMAX.

Also check your facts, CDMA isnt CDMA isnt CDMA. Its not a global standard like GSM. Not all CDMA's run on 850/1900.
    04-09-10 05:23 PM

With that logic why does anyone make devices for Sprint with it's limited customers?

This argument that Sprint doesn't have enough customers for Apple is ridiculous. It's not like Apple has to redesign the whole device, were talking about adding one different chip.( Lots of companies do this, HTC, RIM,Samsung,Motorola etc.) It's money left on the table if Apple doesn't put out a Verizon or Sprint iphone. There not going to lose money because they put out a Sprint CDMA iphone.
    04-09-10 08:28 PM
    And how do you propose a 4G phone when VZW uses LTE and Sprint WIMAX? ahhhhhh

If Apple doesnt believe a technology is the future, like WIMAX, ala Adobe Flash, theyll fight it tooth and nail. Its THEIR choice to make-1 chip difference or 20. Whine, kick, and scream about it, but it wont change that its their decision whether you think its logical or not.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-09-10 at 10:02 PM.
    04-09-10 09:58 PM
    HTC isnt Apple it doesnt matter what they do.

And they wont be upgrading EVDO they already passed on EVDO Rev B in favor of their respective 4G techs which Sprint is slowly getting out there and VZW will be pushing out later in the year. LTE is already shown not to be able to do simultaneous CDMA voice and LTE data simultaneously. Neither can WIMAX.

Also check your facts, CDMA isnt CDMA isnt CDMA. Its not a global standard like GSM. Not all CDMA's run on 850/1900.
    Check your facts. The CDMA in China and Japan works just fine with my Sprint phone, as well as other countries I've been too. Because CDMA2000 (IS-2000) is a standard. And just because a country uses a different frequency, doesn't mean that the underlying technology is different. Oh yeah and AT&T or T-Mobiles 3G isn't in the same frequency as Europe and Asia or even each other. UMTS/3G is a CDMA technology, any many of the feature in patents held by Qualcomm for CDMA are being used in 3G/UMTS.
    04-10-10 04:17 PM
    2 countries isnt every CDMA country. CDMA phones are built per the countries they go to. Technology the same or not doesnt man anything, its the chipset which doesnt support those frequencies, period. Just like you said GSM/HSPA is GSM/HSPA but need the RIGHT FREQUENCIES to work. Its not brain surgery here to understand that. Countries that use 450mhz, 700mhz, and 1800mhz CDMA ARENT COMPATIBLE. You cant walk your VZW/Sprint phone there and use it CDMA or not.

And GSM is a quad band chip, its a standard in mostly any GSM phone we see here. It doesnt matter if the frequencies arent the same because nearly all the US GSM phones work on the Euro/rest of the world frequencies.

Apple has always made on phone that could hit as many people as possible. CDMA is not ideal for this model or else your phones now would come with multiband chipsets for all the CDMA countries.

Again all here sideskirt the 4G issue that Sprint uses WIMAX which VZW doesnt nor any other US carrier, so even if VZW got it, theres little change theyd do a specific WIMAX version. LTE is going to be the US 4G standard except Sprint.

Sprint wont get it until AT LEAST VZW gets it, if at all if Apple decides to make it LTE, which is still a fantasy right now.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-10-10 at 04:34 PM.
    04-10-10 04:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD