View Poll Results: Well?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

52 42.98%
  • NO

69 57.02%
    ...you use it instead of your current BlackBerry device?

Let's say the iPhone (3G version) was the exact way it is right now; HOWEVER the features added to it are the ones listed below; and you only have an option of YES or NO. Also, it's EITHER the iPhone OR your BlackBerry...let's hypothetically say you can't have both. So basically if you were forced to choose one or the other.

1) Video Recording w/ MMS for sending the Videos and Pictures
    2) Tactice/Physical QWERTY-keyboard (slide-out version; so that the iPhone
    screen can still be the same size)
    3) Expandable Memory
    4) Copy & Paste feature available
    5) Removeable Battery

Forget the other variables...such as whether it's still exclusively available through AT&T; whether it's still only a GSM device; whether the data/voice plan rates are still the same.

Base it ONLY on the (5) hypothetical additions stated above...would you make the switch?
    Last edited by hydroblack; 07-03-08 at 11:41 AM.
    07-03-08 11:02 AM
    Oh yeah definitely. BUT I need multimedia messaging on it. There are to many things I don't like about the I phone . If it was all fixed I might have to leave the crackberry family.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-08 11:09 AM
    I'd be more open to trying it out. You'd have to throw in MMS capability too. The turn off to me is that it's AT&T and I loathe AT&T. But I do love how it handles the internet. I'm still shocked it can't do MMS. I think the phone function needs to be improved upon too.
    07-03-08 11:11 AM
    Yes No lies...

I am open-minded and like both RIM and Apple. So this would be a hard choice...

I might have to have 2 devices

And, basing it on your criteria... it would make my decision really hard.

For me to get the iPhone, it would need : expandable memory, removeable battery, QWERTY keypad, copy / paste, MMS, video recording, and most of all... carrier support!! (I would want other carriers available besides ATT!! Specifically TMo!)
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 07-03-08 at 11:15 AM.
    07-03-08 11:13 AM
    I would be open to trying it, but not if it meant switching to AT&t. I can't stand them, I have nothing but bad experiences when it comes to at&t.

07-03-08 11:13 AM
    I dont think I could I really love my BB. If it had everything that Bmcclure937 stated above then I would probably carry both of them.
    07-03-08 11:16 AM
    If the iPhone had a keyboard, it would just look strange to me. I think the touchscreen interface is a huge part of the device's appeal. The phone wouldn't really be set apart from all other devices in my opinion....... That being said, I still wouldn't want one. You can't even take the battery out of your own phone and switch it or do anything with it? No thanks. Apple? Pfft. Not for me. Just my opinion.
    07-03-08 11:26 AM
    Honestly, yes I would. But I can't
    say I'd totally abandon the BB.
    07-03-08 11:35 AM
    interesting.

well I added a 5th point (Removable Battery). And I added into point 1; what I originally meant to but forgot until mentioned by some of you...MMS capability.

Also, it's the iPhone OR your BlackBerry...let's hypothetically say you can't have both. So basically if you were forced to choose one or the other.
    Last edited by hydroblack; 07-03-08 at 11:44 AM.
    07-03-08 11:36 AM
    As a former IPhone'er, I can honestly say that I would not. I have the Curve and now am an avid fan/user/abuser of my BB. I also have an Ipod. The biggest downer of the IPhone, is that the phone and 'pod' are the same. So if you are on the phone, the pod is not working, or if you are listening the phone will cancel it out. It just was a bit to inconvenient for me. I really enjoy having my Ipod and Communication device seperate.
    07-03-08 11:42 AM

Also, it's the iPhone OR your BlackBerry...let's hypothetically say you can't have both. So basically if you were forced to choose one or the other.
    In that case, my BB for sure. Still.
    07-03-08 11:42 AM
    I agree with the Jenay on the keyboard statement. I actually chose no as I love the iPhone as it is now. It wouldn't be the "iPhone" if that was the case.
    07-03-08 11:48 AM
    nah, I'm good with my BB. It does everything I need it to do.
    07-03-08 12:03 PM
    no... that is all
    07-03-08 12:14 PM
    If it had all that it wouldn't be an iphone anymore. But either way I'm still standing behind rim. They've been good to me.

07-03-08 12:16 PM
    I would try it out. Extra large screen would be helpful with the web eye strain.
    07-03-08 01:41 PM
    I still would not

07-03-08 01:44 PM
    Thats a big 10-4
    07-03-08 01:46 PM
    I don't get why some are saying with the addition of these 'hypothetical' features...the iPhone wouldn't be the iPhone. Why wouldn't it be; why can't it be? Of course it can.

Soon, phones are going to run out of fresh model names to refer to phones by. So instead of playing with semantics and calling a phone by a whole different name just because a couple of more features were added/changes in design were made...i suggest some phones (the more popular ones) keep their same name (for brand/model identity sake); and simply add an extension like 'v2' or '2.0' , '2' , 'Deux' , 'II' attached to the end of the phone's model name. Yeah I know; the newly released iPhone has done this. By dubbing it the '3G iPhone' to differentiate this new model from the previous one that came out last year...but hey; it works...and still keeps that 'iPhone' name.

It's like car manufacturers for example; let's take the Honda Accord for example. Almost invariably; some aspects of the Accord's design both inside and out change from one year to the next; and every few years...they'll DRASTICALLY change the design. But do they change the name of the model altogether...no. Why? Because of brand/model-identity. Same should be for phones, if the 'Javelin' for example...shares a lot of similarities as the 'Curve'...just go out and say it's the new Curve and call it just that...the Curve; with some extensions before or after the name if RIM chooses.

I think this would be a smarter move for phones that are popular. Now of course for phones that are a flop...keeping the name of the phone wouldn't be so smart.
    07-03-08 02:37 PM
    If my iPhone had those features, it would probably be in use now. Reality is, that it doesn't and it sucks! My iPhone will continue to collect dust on my desk.
    07-03-08 02:46 PM
    damn you jorgeed...i envy your avatar.
    07-03-08 02:53 PM
    I don't get why some are saying with the addition of these 'hypothetical' features...the iPhone wouldn't be the iPhone. Why wouldn't it be; why can't it be? Of course it can.
    For the sole reason that Apple's flagship feature on the iPhone is the touch screen keyboard!! It is that fact alone that make some think it would not be an iPhone anymore, and it is also that sole feature that keeps me from considering an iPhone more!!

All the other features aside... the QWERTY keypad is the pivotal point on the iPhone. Many criticize the iPhone for this, many praise the iPhone for this. It is love / hate in that regard (and in that regard only). I am sure many people love all of the other functionality of the iPhone, but the main dealbreaker is the lack of QWERTY keypad or at least some sort of tactile key!!

Anyways... a change that monumental in a device would be groudshaking. It would be like making the Verizon ENV (or however you spell it) without the keypad... and with a touch screen... when the ENV is known for its design having that keypad

I think you get my point... I could waste my breath and continue on, but then it would be rambling!

*EDIT* : A better comparison would be this. Giving the iPhone a QWERTY keypad would be like giving a Berry a touch screen... the device would feel out of its element. I would gladly welcome the change!!! (for a QWERTY iPhone and a touchscreen Berry!!) But some people are resistant to change...
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 07-03-08 at 02:57 PM.
    07-03-08 02:55 PM
    Having had an iPhone, it would be hard for me to pick one device over the other. Knowing what the iPhone has bought to the table so far, and its inception having forced other manufacturers to step to the plate, is enough to keep an out out on the iPhones future developments.

I had mine for 5 months and for my needs, I dont think adding a keyboard will make up for what I need it to to; the keyboard who more or less overshadow my needs; but only temporarily.

Also, in the decision making process, I cant/wont ignore that its on ATT; a company I have no desire to give my money too.
    07-03-08 02:56 PM
    Honestly no I wouldn't. I like my BB and I have never really cared for any Apple products. I wouldn't care if it rubbed my feet as well.
    07-03-08 02:57 PM
    Keyboard on the iphone isn't that bad. Lack of 3rd party apps (could change shortly) and no background apps allowed (not talking about a broken phone) are why I switched back.
    07-03-08 02:58 PM
81 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD