Interestingly short article about the plethora of iPad "wannabees" that are coming out. No doubt that Apple didn't invent the tablet, but they made it relevant and made people want one. Now other companies play follow the leader again.

Here come the iPad wannabees - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech
    08-16-10 10:22 AM
    Same old story like when the iPhone revolutionized everything even if they're not the first and they didn't even have copy/paste.

I hope more tablets/slates will come. Competition is good. It's a win-win for the consumers.

Who do I hate though? The media. They're worst than the fanboys. Overblowing everything out of proportion. Coin words like "iPhone killers". Predicting the iPads to fail, etc.
    08-16-10 11:10 AM
    Predicting the ipads will fail? That one we will never know for sure until the others release them. If they don't sell then we know it was the fanboys that made the ipad a winner.

I'm not trying to put apple down, but let's see the numbers of the other companies sales before we know for sure.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-10 01:34 PM
    Same old story like when the iPhone revolutionized everything even if they're not the first and they didn't even have copy/paste.

I hope more tablets/slates will come. Competition is good. It's a win-win for the consumers.

Who do I hate though? The media. They're worst than the fanboys. Overblowing everything out of proportion. Coin words like "iPhone killers". Predicting the iPads to fail, etc.
    Apple hasnt been first to much in the mobile sector, but theyve always taken something not "trendy" or caught on and made it main stream- tablet, video chat, etc. That's what theyre good and and they deserve credit for it. People just like to bash Apple because theyre the marketing giant to beat.

Plenty of companies had attempted tablet launches which stopped before production or failed miserably. The ipad was the first mainstream tablet that was adopted, and sold 3 million the first month. Id hardly call that a failure by any means.

Its the same BS nonsense when people said the iphone wouldnt sell and look now, theyve sold tens of millions in a short 3 years and have tens of thousands of people lined up every release selling a few million the first few days. Couldn't name another consumer product with that kind of publicity.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 08-16-10 at 03:10 PM.
    08-16-10 03:08 PM
    Apple did bring out the newton in early 90's which was the first tab and failed on it. I know the comps not gonna pull the numbers like they did the ipad, and when you look at it, how many of those ipads were bought and destroyed just to put it on youtube? So..........

08-16-10 03:38 PM
    And you want to compare the 1990's to today? C'mon now, not even a close comparison as to how people use computers and technology. Back then you were lucky when you had a PC in your house compare to today where people have multiple home computers, at work, portable tablets/netbooks, smartphones, etc. Times have changed.

And who cares? Even if 50 were destroyed out of 3-5 million its still impressive sales numbers
    08-16-10 03:53 PM
    Just bringing it up so everyone knows they have a fail. Were not sure on how many were broken since there is really no statistic on it.

With the other companies making them now we will be able to see numbers and see if there is a market for them really.

But to me, bb shouldn't bother with one, because they can't really get a touchscreen right, but who knows, they might someday.

08-16-10 04:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD