Blackberry - email and messaging god
    iPhone - multimedia god

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-09 05:41 AM
    Jeli, you had so many great ideas - thank you. I am taking it back, it' not working for me and for my needs. I just don't see having to charge a phone every night and having to travel with the BBerry as a back up.

On the CNN videos - is asks me to load Flash then tells me it's not supported. Or I get the error message "This CNN feature does not currently support the platform you are using."

Don't get me wrong - it's a gorgeous phone. But for me, if I have to turn all the features that are now standard in higher end phones and make the phone attractive, then - for me - it's not much of a point.

I gave it the good ol' college try. I was soooo excited on June 19th, stood in line at the Pentagon City store, loved it. Then I realized that the battery just couldn't keep up with what I needed it to do. I don't play games on it but I do browse the web *a lot* and that was the reason I got it, for the full HTML, the 3G and wifi support, and the push mail. Push mail matters to me because I travel at least two weeks out of every month, and I take care of a lot of stuff by mail.

And for me, the battery does get hot. Just as a note - I did go through the recommended process for conditioning the battery and have found several articles on how to increase the battery life. Unfortunately, most of the options cited suggested turning off the features I mentioned.

All your tips were great. Had I been open at this point to keeping the phone I probably would have taken the case. Thank you so much for your suggestions - I'm afraid the bloom is off the rose for me.
    Like I've said before, use what works best for you =)

Have you tried returning the phone? It's possible you have a bad battery.

As a test I haven't charged my phone in at least the last 24 hours and Im at 22%. I've been browsing the web, watching "How I Met Your Mother" episodes and played Baseball Slugger(best game ever) for a few hours. Seriously your battery sounds like the original iPhone battery. It was terrible. If you still have time within your 30 days I would try and trade out the phone for a new one with a new battery and see if anything improved. If it doesn't work good luck with the Bold =) *tho i would pickup an HTC Hero if I didn't have an iPhone*
    07-11-09 08:47 AM
    Blackberry - email and messaging god
    iPhone - multimedia god

Only if on BES.

BIS Email is horrible compared to an iPhone.

Exchange email works quite well on the iPhone as well.

I prefer how the iPhone handles SMS as well.

The only thing the BB has on the iPhone is *current* MMS support in the US and BBM obviously. Granted many people prefer AIM. But yeah, the email argument for BB is getting old.
    07-11-09 08:51 AM
    I just converted after 4 yrs of bby use. I have to say the minute I switched I was a bit sad because it was my baby. That said the iphone is a very cool and interesting device. Here are the things I miss the most.
    - red light indicator
    - bby messenger
    - push/fast delivery of email
    - menu button
    - navigation and ability to email/sms/call a person from almost anywhere

What you get is a great multimedia phone. Browser an performance are fantastic. Email display is fantastic. The apps are fantastic & very useful. This is where the phone blows away the bby. If u unlock your phone you can also add apps that will greatly increase your productivity. You can run background apps, have skype or other voip product working seamlessly. An example of great productivity increaser is the quicksms ap. When u receive a message it notifies u on locked screen & gives u a button to immediately launch sms editor. Even bby u have to get the message from wherever you are at. So far it's only been 4 days but I would say it is a really incredible device. Hope this helps. While a switch will make u sad about a cpl things overall the phone is really great...
    07-13-09 06:12 PM
    I agree with a few of the comments above. I too have ordered the 3GS and will be selling my bold(on this site).

I'm not important enough to not be able to wait 15 minutes to receive email, or just don't multi task often enough for it to keep me from switching.

I have decided to give the iphone another try mainly because of the video and ease of use. I currently have the bold and have not been able to view a video on this phone yet. I have downloaded numerous application, tried various settings and have decided to just give up. Its entirely to much work(for me) just to view videos. I would rather RENT them from itunes and sync and be done with it. Apple has made it very easy for the consumer to use their products. RIM has made some things very cumbersome for most.

My new iphone will be delivered tomorrow and I should have it up and running by Thursday, then I will be selling my bold and keeping my 8310 for my backup. Battery life doesn't matter as I charge all my phones at night while I am sleeping. I work a desk most days and can charge there if needed.

Good luck to all the blackberry users, I have owned an 8700, 8300, 8310 and the bold. I like blackberry's, and will probably return to useing them one day. But right now, my needs(desire) is being able to surf the internet and watch movies, tv shows and other stuff. I have owned 2 3g iphone and currently have another one on my 2nd line, so I am very familiar with their shortcomings.

Apple has just added a few of the items I used to rationalize my allegience to blackberry. When/if RIm decides to make a more video friendly phone, with an updated OS, I will return.

RIM may be all about the business users, but I seem to notice lots of businesses going to the iphone...

Side note-Notice how many University's are making the iphone/itouch a requirement for their class? Nobody saw that coming....
    07-14-09 02:54 PM
    Side note-Notice how many University's are making the iphone/itouch a requirement for their class? Nobody saw that coming....
    Really, that's happening? I haven't read about that. Kinda cool, but more money out the pockets of students. Oh well, just buy a MacBook and you get one for free!
    07-14-09 03:10 PM
    The univeristy that i was thinking about is.... I think the Univeristy of Florida(pharmacist) and it was a requirement to have the iphone or touch to be able to use an application that is available.

Interesting trend....
    07-14-09 10:54 PM
    07-14-09 11:02 PM
    The univeristy that i was thinking about is.... I think the Univeristy of Florida(pharmacist) and it was a requirement to have the iphone or touch to be able to use an application that is available.

Interesting trend....
    Old story. Someone is making money somewhere off of this.
    07-15-09 02:01 AM
    To the OP, here's a shortlist off the top of my head:

iPhone differences:
    + it's a lot more fun to play with
    + browser blows the pants off any Blackberry
    + Big screen is very nice to use
    + Drag and drop files onto the BB or SD card and any application can view them on the phone
    + Easily move files around on the phone, sort your stuff
    + Virtual keyboard can make typing very tough if using specialized words, e.g. doctor, lawyer, etc.
    + Lots of apps, many very useful "WAP replacements" which are iPhone optimized browsing
    + Much better media player

- Battery life sucks, definitely worse than the BB
    - No replaceable battery (external bulky battery packs)
    - No drag and drop files and documents for reading in applications, each app has its own transfer method that must use WiFi -- terribly inefficient
    - inane that there is no directory navigation so any file you upload is ONLY available to an application which you uploaded a file in wifi. You also can't move files around and sort them on the iphone. crazy.
    - no attachment downloading
    - no custom sounds (other than ringtones) without hacking
    - iTunes sucks and only syncs music and video, not documents or other files
    - not today screen or other utilities unless jailbroken (voids warranty)
    - email not as good as a blackberry
    07-15-09 02:39 AM
    i switched from the blackberry to the iphone and cant believe i waited so long to do so
    07-15-09 07:16 AM
    I switched from the Storm to the iPhone. The battery life seems to last longer not by much but still i feel like i get at least an hour or two more, and i play more with my iphone than i did with my storm. I miss the sure press feature, but the phone over all is better than the storm. No reboots and i jailbroke it to have more features.
    07-15-09 08:21 AM
    I have been a die hard BB user since the old 850. I am thinking of trying an iphone, but want the ability to still use my Storm (unloked on ATT). For those using both and switching, which data plan do you use and how is it working switching back and forth from the BB to the iphone?
    10-07-09 08:13 AM
    WOW!!!! Found an old thread from when I had my iPhone and had decided to return it last summer. I really hated returning it. Funny that I'm now considering the 4G.

Is Jeli still on this forum? He was so helpful.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 02-24-10 at 07:47 AM.
    02-24-10 07:41 AM
    Pros: App development. This is the iphone's selling point.
    Cons: Batt life, and emails not pushed like a berry (can do up to 10 personal email accounts with a bberry). Some accounts get pushed on the iphone, i.e. yahoo
    02-24-10 08:21 AM
    - Battery life sucks, definitely worse than the BB
    - No replaceable battery (external bulky battery packs)
    - No drag and drop files and documents for reading in applications, each app has its own transfer method that must use WiFi -- terribly inefficient
    - inane that there is no directory navigation so any file you upload is ONLY available to an application which you uploaded a file in wifi. You also can't move files around and sort them on the iphone. crazy.
    - no attachment downloading
    - no custom sounds (other than ringtones) without hacking
    - iTunes sucks and only syncs music and video, not documents or other files
    - not today screen or other utilities unless jailbroken (voids warranty)
    - email not as good as a blackberry
    battery life I can agree with, if you use car charger you'll be fine,
    there are apps to sort files..JB...
    yes to attachment downloading...JB
    custom sounds yes... JB
    documents to go...very helpful for work,
    email isnt bad depends what app you use,

heard different things about voiding warranty, if you just restore to default settings you're fine, and heard that people have sent their phone back jailbroken and its fine.... so its a mix, but you can always restore it
    02-24-10 08:31 AM
    I have absolutely no issues with battery life.. in the car.. its on charger.. at home connected to my home theater listening to iHeartRadio.. it's charging.. Phone easily lasts me all day. When I go to bed it's at 40% still..
    I still don't get the whole push e-mail arguments, both my emails are push.
    02-24-10 09:56 AM
    I am very much leaning into getting a 4G. I would not give up the 9700, I'd just use both. I also have my notebook.

If I travel, I can carry all three. If I'm in the city, during regular commuting hours, I can use the iPhone to surf. I still would really like a better battery and (I know people here are totally against this) Flash. But...I realise I won't get either.

Because I will keep my 9700 I will keep my communications hub intact...email, calendar, banking. If I get the iPhone I will have less to carry around if I'm at home...darn it, I would really like Flash. Guess I would have the notebook....

sorry...just thinking out loud. I'm developing a desire for additional tech...
    02-24-10 09:57 AM
    I am very much leaning into getting a 4G. I would not give up the 9700, I'd just use both. I also have my notebook.

If I travel, I can carry all three. If I'm in the city, during regular commuting hours, I can use the iPhone to surf. I still would really like a better battery and (I know people here are totally against this) Flash. But...I realise I won't get either.

Because I will keep my 9700 I will keep my communications hub intact...email, calendar, banking. If I get the iPhone I will have less to carry around if I'm at home...darn it, I would really like Flash. Guess I would have the notebook....

sorry...just thinking out loud. I'm developing a desire for additional tech...
    Haha, you say you want better battery then say you'd like Flash on it, too.

I'd love a better battery. Mine dies extremely fast with 3G on. I have to keep Airplane mode on in school or I would lose about 10-20% without even unlocking the phone.

02-24-10 02:27 PM
    Haha, you say you want better battery then say you'd like Flash on it, too.

I'd love a better battery. Mine dies extremely fast with 3G on. I have to keep Airplane mode on in school or I would lose about 10-20% without even unlocking the phone.

Yup...want it. By reading the posts here I realize nobody else does, though. I realize I will most likely not get it.
    02-24-10 03:32 PM
    The storm battery is not THAT great.

I had the iphone when it first came out and it was cool but lost its wow factor quickly with me with a lack of basic features. In hoping that in June they will release one with a flash in the camera and then I think it'll be good enough for me to try again. I've given up using aim just like myspace and I really love ??essenger. The storm is a lot of fun and has its own Pros and cons just like the iphone. I live in nyc and when I leave the area my storm2 3G speed picks up tremendously so I can imagine how much fun an iphones speed must be outside of a metro area with all of att's problems in big cities. Plus I mean you definitely pay for all that fun from the iphone. VZW is more expensive but at least you know its solid.

02-25-10 02:41 AM
    I am thinking/hoping the 4th gen iphone will have a good batt life. If the upcoming ipad achieves 10 hours of batt life when in use, i am thinking the new iphone will have a very much improved battery.
    02-25-10 08:09 AM
    What for? They'd still limit you on how many apps you can install.

Keep in mind both the Bold and Storm have 1 gig of internal memory.. can you install apps to it? Nope.

That 1 gig is for media, and it's pretty pointless.
    iPhone limits your maximum app installation (minus the 4 bottom dock icons), and assuming you can completely clear out the first page, to 176 applications. (11 pages x 16 icons)

Some people like howarmat have had 130+ with 40+ mb of flash memory still available, meaning the Storm2's app cap is probably much higher than the iPhones. The iPhone can only have 11 pages of apps, a BlackBerry goes until you run out of memory, regardless of how many slots they take up.

I am thinking/hoping the 4th gen iphone will have a good batt life. If the upcoming ipad achieves 10 hours of batt life when in use, i am thinking the new iphone will have a very much improved battery.
    Are you serious? The iPad battery is a combination of LiOn mobile battery (iPhone) and LiOn PC batteries (Macbook) and they met in the middle. There's a reason that the iPad is going to have that kind of battery life, it's size. There's no battery small enough or powerful enough to run all the crap on an iPhone for 10 hours while maintaining a network connection, searching for bluetooth, WiFi, etc. If there was, the 3GS would have it. It's not like the iPad is going to be running off an iPhone sized battery, it's going to be a big one like you see in the bottom of Macbooks, just a little smaller.
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 02-25-10 at 09:24 AM.
    02-25-10 09:12 AM
    ^^Although i realize the iphone may not get the ipad's batt and this was never my assumption, i am trying to convey a trend. This being of course how macbooks now get 8 hours batt life of constant use, the ipad gets 10 hours, therefore it wouldn't be hard to infer that the new gen iphone will be getting an improved battery as other apple products continue to improve on battery life.
    02-25-10 09:57 AM
    Agreed, but unless they come out with a new chargable material or some new technology that's really mindblowing, I don't see Apple being able to add more than a few hours to their description of battery time, which we all know from any manufacturer, is full of ****.

Right now the described battery time is 16 hours or something, which really translates to 6 hours of medium to heavy use. I can't see this going beyond 7 hours until there's some big breakthroughs, it's the same with any phone EXCEPT the LG EnV2.

Regardless, we will see how the iPad does. They are still not available north of the border yet, but knowing Apple (my Macbook gets 7.5 hours, my Touch gets 14 hours solid playback, etc) I imagine the iPad's battery probably sits a bit lower than 10 hours on heavy use. No company (again, excluding the EnV2 so far) for any of my lithium battery powered electronics have given me a dead even or better experience with battery life. They always ballpark it higher (sometimes MUCH higher) than it actually lasts.
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 02-25-10 at 02:12 PM.
    02-25-10 02:09 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD