So i switched from a Bold 9700 to a 3GS just to test the waters, and i'm having three major issues with my iphone: 1) email- i'm used to my phone letting me know there's new a message. Do iphones have e-mail alerts? Having to update all the time is getting really annoying. 2) i love the iheart radio app, and on my iphone whenever i press the home key, iheart turns off. Is there a way to keep it playing? My bb let me listen to iheart and do other things. 3) I'm noticeing that my battery barely lasts througout the day

Just curious are these normal/fixable iphone issues? I've been a mac user for the past five years, but i'm new to the iphone game so sorry if these are stupid questions - I'm just really new to this device and I don't know all its tricks, but would appreciate any tips! thanx
    03-31-10 07:30 PM
    Hey there,
    I use to work at Apple. As far as email goes, you can retrieve sounds whenever you receive an email on your iPhone. Unfortunately, there is no led indicator like on a BB or most Android phones (maybe for future iPhone, who knows!).
    With the iheart app, there is now ay you can have it running it in the background (this functionality is known as multi-tasking). The only thing you can run in the background are the standard apps that start with the iPhone (music, safari, stock, etc). There have rumors flying around that OS 4.0 will have such a functionality to do so.
    And with the battery life, it will definitely be shorter than your 9700. The iPhone is a full screen device with more power than other devices, so it will drain up a lot of energy. Again, it is said future software (and hardware) will have a lot more efficient battery life.
    Hope this helps
    03-31-10 07:48 PM
    If you jailbreak, you'll be able to get multi-tasking. As for the battery, yeah it's not as good as a BB mainly because of the larger screen size. They do make nice external battery pack that plug into the dock connector at the bottom.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-10 08:03 PM
    If you jailbreak, you'll be able to get multi-tasking. As for the battery, yeah it's not as good as a BB mainly because of the larger screen size. They do make nice external battery pack that plug into the dock connector at the bottom.

Doesn't jailbreaking defect the warrenty/apple care? I'm weary of doing anything that means I have to shell out tons of $$ if something needs to get fixed
    03-31-10 08:44 PM
    If your phone is jailbroken or unlocked it voids the warranty. OS 4.0 will have some treats in store for all the iPhone users. I just switched from my 9700 to a 16gb 3G S and its a little weird at first but im loving the phone. It just takes time to get used to all the differences.
    03-31-10 09:09 PM
    Doesn't jailbreaking defect the warrenty/apple care? I'm weary of doing anything that means I have to shell out tons of $$ if something needs to get fixed
    You can easily restore your iPhone if anything happens so you can return it. They can't tell if you were jailbroken before.
    03-31-10 09:36 PM
    Yeh jailbreaking is similar to installing a leaked Blackberry OS. You just restore back to the old (stock OS in the case of the iphone) and no one is the wiser.

Ive really never heard of anyone who jailbroke being denied service, but also most are smart enough to revert to the stock OS first too. Some stores even knew they were jailbroken and didnt care, thought I dont advise that.
    03-31-10 10:08 PM
    So i switched from a Bold 9700 to a 3GS just to test the waters, and i'm having three major issues with my iphone: 1) email- i'm used to my phone letting me know there's new a message. Do iphones have e-mail alerts? Having to update all the time is getting really annoying. 2) i love the iheart radio app, and on my iphone whenever i press the home key, iheart turns off. Is there a way to keep it playing? My bb let me listen to iheart and do other things. 3) I'm noticeing that my battery barely lasts througout the day

Just curious are these normal/fixable iphone issues? I've been a mac user for the past five years, but i'm new to the iphone game so sorry if these are stupid questions - I'm just really new to this device and I don't know all its tricks, but would appreciate any tips! thanx
    And another example of why people need to do some research before they buy a smartphone. This would be the same as a person switching to BB and complaining that the browser sucks. I will never understand why people don't read up about a device before they buy.

That aside I'm sure once you get used to it you will really like it. As for the radio app, there is an app called Radio Stream It All that will run in the BG without having to JB. I use it all the time and while it may not be as nice as I Heart it is really worth taking a look at.
    03-31-10 10:26 PM
    And another example of why people need to do some research before they buy a smartphone. This would be the same as a person switching to BB and complaining that the browser sucks. I will never understand why people don't read up about a device before they buy.

That aside I'm sure once you get used to it you will really like it. As for the radio app, there is an app called Radio Stream It All that will run in the BG without having to JB. I use it all the time and while it may not be as nice as I Heart it is really worth taking a look at.

Well no matter how much you hear/read about something you really don't know how it works for you until you try it out for yourself ; ),

Anyways thanks for the Radio Stream tip!
    04-01-10 12:00 AM
    Well no matter how much you hear/read about something you really don't know how it works for you until you try it out for yourself ; ),

Anyways thanks for the Radio Stream tip!
    That is sooo true! I switched to an iPhone knowing very well what I was getting myself into. Thought I could live with it because of the cool factor. Needless to say, I'm back on a blackberry as my main device. Granted, I still have the 3GS...

04-01-10 01:12 AM
    I've had the Curve, Storm, Tour and Bold 9700 and although the Storm turned me off a little on the touch screen when I switched to ATT I gave it a try and I love it.

Mine notify's me when I get emails, check your settings. As far as the battery I plug my phone in every night and it lasts me all day. Could it be better, yes but I'm happy to wait for that improvement to come.
    04-01-10 04:06 PM

You're in the same spot I was back in June '09. Battery life was bad and I found out that couldn't run things I'd loaded and listen to music - stuff I'd taken for granted with my BBerry. And you are so right about how a study of the device doesn't give you the actual feedback that you get when you're living with it. You didn't do anything wrong, don't let anyone tell you you should have done this or should have done that.
    Your points are very valid. Can you take it back and wait for the 4G? Some of the issues you mentioned will have been fixed on the 4G. When did you get it? Are you in your 30 days?

Also remember that jailbreaking is a hack and will leave your phone vulnerable. Some folks say that there is no danger, but there have been reports of hijacked phones being infected with a certain virus and/or worm. Can't remember the specifics.

It's a gorgeous phone but it wasn't for me. It's OK, you didn't do anything wrong. Sometimes a gorgeous device is not a match for a customer, the person may need other things.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 04-01-10 at 08:19 PM.
    04-01-10 08:14 PM
    You're in the same spot I was back in June '09. Battery life was bad and I found out that couldn't run things I'd loaded and listen to music - stuff I'd taken for granted with my BBerry. And you are so right about how a study of the device doesn't give you the actual feedback that you get when you're living with it. You didn't do anything wrong, don't let anyone tell you you should have done this or should have done that.
    Your points are very valid. Can you take it back and wait for the 4G? Some of the issues you mentioned will have been fixed on the 4G. When did you get it? Are you in your 30 days?

Also remember that jailbreaking is a hack and will leave your phone vulnerable. Some folks say that there is no danger, but there have been reports of hijacked phones being infected with a certain virus and/or worm. Can't remember the specifics.

It's a gorgeous phone but it wasn't for me. It's OK, you didn't do anything wrong. Sometimes a gorgeous device is not a match for a customer, the person may need other things.
    It is a gorgeous phone- its fun to play with and the browser is amazing, but it just lacks the functionality of a blackberry. But funny enough I can actually type better on the iphone than on a blackberry. Go figure.

Yeah my 30 days is up on Monday, I plan on returning it this weekend, reversing my upgrade, and going back to my OLD BB curve. I want to wait out for the 4G/HD (whatever they're calling it) in June before I decide whether or not to go back to the 9700. If the rumors are true the multitasking thing will be fixed so we'll see....

As regards to jail breaking, I'd actually be all for it but I've got an MC model, version 3.1.3- so no jail breaking for me lol : (
    04-02-10 01:16 AM
    I'm actually considering the 4G as a companion to my 9700. We'll see. It's a gorgeous device and the best experience out there as far as browser, but it doesn't suit me as a primary device.
    I'll probably be in line at the store in Pentagon City when it launches. Last year's June 19th experience for the 3GS (I think that's when it launched) was like a party.
    04-02-10 03:17 AM

Agreed. Your "my BB sucks, it can't do what an iPhone can" sob story should become an Olympic Sport. It's pathetically obvious when people go buy their BB, that all they were concerned about using it for was to play games and surf the web. So why did you buy a BB? They can never or refuse to answer the question and resort to bashing the BB. Sad.
    04-03-10 07:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD