It's easier to just use blackra1n to jailbreak it. One click process and you're done. After that, tap on the blackra1n app, install Cydia and blacksn0w, and you're good to go.

I highly advise you to NOT install Rock because of the many bugs and memory leaks.
    03-01-10 06:56 PM
    No I have not tried to jailbreak it yet. I have been waiting until I was absolutely sure I knew what I was doing first. So after hundreds of youtube videos and reading the dev teams site and tons of forum post I found out that when I thought 5.11.07 had anything to do with the bootloader I was wrong. They are 2 different things. I know most of you guys probably know that but honestly I didnt and all the incorrect info all over the net can confuse the **** out of you. Then to find out there are at least 3 different ways to jailbreak each OS of the iphone. I almost thought about putting it back on e-bay and stay with my BB. But today I got a very informative e-mail from some guy that read one of my post. He said I can jailbreak with redsn0w then go into cydia and download blacksn0w to unlock and since I have the original bootloader it will not be tethered. YAY!

In short 05.11.07 baseband with old bootloader and OS 3.1.2 equals redsn0w to jailbreak and blacks0w to unlock. Hahaha wtf yea thats not complicated at all. I will be trying it all tomorrow or Wednesday and if anybody wants I will make a guide with pics and directions of the whole process.
    Ok cool... had me nervous there for a while lol. Yeah you have one of the original iphones with the old bootrom , so your good to go. Just remember, dont update to the 3.1.3 firmware that itunes will ask you when you sync your phone. Keep it as is with the 3.1.2 firmware. And mitchell209 is correct. The easiest way to jailbreak it is using blackra1n rc3. It has the blacksnow unlock built into it. Are you using windows or a mac?
    03-01-10 07:20 PM
    Ok cool... had me nervous there for a while lol. Yeah you have one of the original iphones with the old bootrom , so your good to go. Just remember, dont update to the 3.1.3 firmware that itunes will ask you when you sync your phone. Keep it as is with the 3.1.2 firmware. And mitchell209 is correct. The easiest way to jailbreak it is using blackra1n rc3. It has the blacksnow unlock built into it. Are you using windows or a mac?
    Thanks guys, I downloaded blackra1n and was going to use it because it seemed easier to me as well but when I posted something about using it on the HackintOsh forums I got bombarded with post saying not to. I am on windows but they warned of problems with blackra1n.
    Possible errors after using BlackRa1n:

The WiFi is missing or not connected with the right direction: go to Settings / General / Reset / Reset network settings and reboot

Youtube and the GPS location does not connect or do not work: install from Cydia (http://repo.beyouriphone.com) Push Fix and reboot.

Unable to connect via SSH through USB: instalamosAFC2Add from Cydia and reboot.

The list went on and on and on so they ended up making me a list of what to jailbreak with in the preferred order of least problems.

"If you phone is week 20, you will always have an untethered jailbreak. That means you can use redsn0w 0.9.2, pwnagetool 3.1.4 or blackra1n RC3 to jailbreak (listed in order of preference) All the jailbreak tools do work and will give you an untethered jailbreak."

They say the best and only current way to unlock is blacksn0w so as soon as I get home I'm going to give it whirl.
    03-01-10 08:54 PM
    Thanks guys, I downloaded blackra1n and was going to use it because it seemed easier to me as well but when I posted something about using it on the HackintOsh forums I got bombarded with post saying not to. I am on windows but they warned of problems with blackra1n.
    Possible errors after using BlackRa1n:

The WiFi is missing or not connected with the right direction: go to Settings / General / Reset / Reset network settings and reboot

Youtube and the GPS location does not connect or do not work: install from Cydia (http://repo.beyouriphone.com) Push Fix and reboot.

Unable to connect via SSH through USB: instalamosAFC2Add from Cydia and reboot.

The list went on and on and on so they ended up making me a list of what to jailbreak with in the preferred order of least problems.

"If you phone is week 20, you will always have an untethered jailbreak. That means you can use redsn0w 0.9.2, pwnagetool 3.1.4 or blackra1n RC3 to jailbreak (listed in order of preference) All the jailbreak tools do work and will give you an untethered jailbreak."

They say the best and only current way to unlock is blacksn0w so as soon as I get home I'm going to give it whirl.
    Cool keep us posted on how it goes. I used blackra1n without a hitch on a windows xp machine... but i jailbroke mine using blackra1n rc2 months ago. I have heard of the issues you've come across, but ive mostly seen people with newer iphones having those issues. Either way you go.. blackra1n or redsn0w you really cant go wrong. Go with whichever your more comfortable with. Good luck
    03-01-10 09:28 PM
    Well the time has arrived I am now jailbroken/unlocked and in LOVE! This thing is awesome. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped me get it up and running. I already gave my 8900 to my girlfriend cause I dont see me going back to BB anytime soon. I am a BB fanboy and always have been, have even bashed iphones on a # of occasions but I love this thing!

As many of you know I let it sit forever before hooking it up to the pc. Just wanted to make sure I had all the facts straight before I started. Well while letting it sit I read hundreds of posts about "how to use prepaid service on the iphone" and "what was the best case" so after reading all of the confusion I decided why not find out for myself.

I ordered Simple Mobile prepay. (runs on T-mobile network)
    Also ordered an Otterbox defender series. (Baby powder trick is a must)
    Very happy to say everything is working perfectly, wi-fi, edge, sms, mms, picture messaging, and push e-mail notifications and yes I can shut it off and reboot without any issue at all woooohooo! I jailbroke with redsn0w and unlocked with Blacksn0w.

Installed Glass Orb theme from cydia as welll.....

Along with a few extras.......

The simple mobile service is awesome 60 doll hairs a month for unlimited everything except data. Data is 150MB a month, it is also ran on the T-mobile network so all the hacks for the T-mobile network work perfectly.

Was scared the 150MB limit of data may be an issue but after all day of downloading all my e-mails for the first time and you know I didnt put this thing down all day, this is all I used so I think I'm safe.

Also I know a few users were having problems getting picture messaging and MMS with simple mobile on their BB's but woop woop here it is on the iphone...
    On a side note make sure you delete all pictures of you and another woman before you give your old phone to your girlfriend
    Oh well in the end everything came out perfect and if you need any help with any of this feel free to ask........

I renamed my Carrier logo with "MakeItMine" free on cydia and used "StatusNotifier" to add notification icons to the top bar when you receive messages, missed calls, and emails. Also I used "Poof" to hide all the icons I dont use. Hmmm I know there is more that I forgot to mention but I think that is enough for one day so Thanks to everybody once again and if you have any questions feel free to ask. Would love to be the one helping instead of asking for a change.
    03-04-10 06:22 PM
    Well, congratulations on jailbreaking and unlocking your iPhone. Now if you really want your dock to look correct, you should install 5 icon dock in Cydia.

Just a little warning from somebody who has had both a jailbroken iPhone and iPod touch: Don't install every single mod or tweak you see on Cydia. Even though you think they're cool, if you don't use them, they will just hog RAM, kill battery, and slow down your iPhone.
    03-04-10 06:35 PM
    Hahaha I was so close! Ok so I had it installed but just didnt have it checked in winterboard. Went in and put a check by it and all that seems to of changed is the color of the font under the dock. Hmmm any idea what I need to do. Do's it have anything to do with what order they are in on winterboard.

here is the current order.

EDIT: Ok now I feel real stupid, it was just a matter of dragging an icon into the dock lol.
    Here we go........
    Last edited by harrison0550; 03-04-10 at 07:15 PM.
    03-04-10 07:05 PM
    not bad, Im currently using the Ipad theme, 5 icon dock, shrink it,
    recommend categories, sort games, apps etc...
    intelliscreen (Cracked version) love the info on lock screen
    03-04-10 08:09 PM
    I would uncheck that Saurik theme. It's just going to kill your battery because of the moving wallpapers that are hidden behind your theme on top of it.
    03-04-10 10:23 PM
    I would uncheck that Saurik theme. It's just going to kill your battery because of the moving wallpapers that are hidden behind your theme on top of it.
    Thanks I just turned it off. I still have a couple of bugs to search the forums and work out. I am getting push on everything but gmail. Also I can receive picture messages but they fail every time I try to send them. Just a couple of bugs but all in all I am still very happy.
    03-05-10 12:22 AM
    Congrats harrison0550. Glad everything worked out for you in the end. The glass orb theme looks real nice. If your someone who likes to multitask... try downloading "backgrounder" from cydia. Lets you run apps in the backround without having to close them out. Pretty handy for AIM , and other message applications. But it will use up more battery life, so be careful how much you have going at the same time. Have fun lol
    03-05-10 06:19 AM
    Thanks guys, Today was my first day of carrying the iphone all day and using it for work. For work everything was perfect but as far as comfort and luxury go the iphone fell short from my 8900 on a few features.

#1 No camera flash. Wow how did I over look this. $20 gophones have a camera flash, how was this left off the most advanced mobile device you can buy. Oh well. BB 8900 has flash.

#2 No bluetooth music streaming to my trucks stereo. If the iphone can do it I dont know how. Even the 3.5 jack hooked up to the front panel aux input sounds horrible. Also tried the sync cable to the usb input and nothing, it doesnt even charge that way. Thought that was iphones big shabang with itunes and all but oh well again. BB 8900 worked all 3 ways.

#3 The otterbox belt clip was awful! (not really the iphones fault) The iphone sits higher in the belt clip than the case covers so it popped out of the holder 3 or 4 times today getting in and out of the truck. The clip is so wide it dug into my side all day and was brutal if you didnt turn it sideways before sitting down. After lunch I ended up taking the belt clip off and carrying it in my pocket. The case itself is awesome though.

I wonder if they make a leather case that will hold the iphone and put it into sleep mode like the storm cases?

Still happy with everything but just a few quirks here and there. Oh and typing on the iphone is awesome!

Changed the display again today too.
    03-05-10 05:53 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD