I am trying to buy an iphone off e-bay cause I have my bb but want to give this iphone trend a try and see how I like it. I have an extra T-mobile sim activated so I just need the iphone unlocked . I want an iphone 3gs 16GB black but I am amazed by the amount the price varies for these things, $200-$1200.
    Now Im told there are fake ones on e-bay, aghhhhh. Do I really need it unlocked and jailbroken or can I do that myself?

Im generally a google is my friend type of person and dont ask things like this but my word this is insane. Some sites say "has to be Firmware 3.1.3 or below to work some say any firmware" So can anyone give me the low down from the horses mouth on what I need to buy?
    02-21-10 01:40 PM
    Well cool welcome to the team, well when you get your iphone locked off ebay and then unlock it myself
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 02-21-10 at 01:49 PM.
    02-21-10 01:44 PM
    Well cool welcome to the team, well when you get your iphone locked off ebay and then unlock it myself
    Thats what I was thinking, the price for unlocked iphones is $100 to $200 more. I'm thinking it cant be $200 worth of difficulty to unlock the iphone. However can I unlock/jailbreak any firmware or do I need to be on the lookout for certain ones from AT&T?
    02-21-10 02:01 PM
    it's very easy to unlock, you only need to find an unlock code. It can cost you under 40$
    02-21-10 02:04 PM
    it's very easy to unlock, you only need to find an unlock code. It can cost you under 40$
    Hmmm I didnt think the iphone used unlock codes like my BB does. I just thought you had to run blackrain or something to jailbreak it. Does it work the same as my BB. Just find an unlock site enter the IMEI# and get an unlock code then jailbreak? LOL Sorry guys I feel like a complete RAtard (love the hangover) when it comes to the iphone.
    02-21-10 02:10 PM
    Hmmm I didnt think the iphone used unlock codes like my BB does. I just thought you had to run blackrain or something to jailbreak it. Does it work the same as my BB. Just find an unlock site enter the IMEI# and get an unlock code then jailbreak? LOL Sorry guys I feel like a complete RAtard (love the hangover) when it comes to the iphone.
    The iPhone doesn't use unlock codes he roamed into the wrong thread, also to answer your question any firmware can be jailbroken and unlocked.
    02-21-10 02:58 PM
    It's incredibly easy to jailbreak and unlock an iPhone. Just make sure the iPhone is on firmware 3.1.2 and hasn't been updated to 3.1.3, or else the baseband will have been updated, meaning no unlock for that iPhone until one of the Dev Teams get a new unlock out. An unlock for the new baseband probably won't be until the summer, which is when Apple announces their new iPhone and will probably release the 4.0 firmware version.
    02-21-10 03:01 PM
    Well so far I got the same answers I found all over the net. basically Im still lost.
    The iPhone doesn't use unlock codes he roamed into the wrong thread, also to answer your question any firmware can be jailbroken and unlocked.
    You sure about the any firmware can be jailbroken? cause thats not what this guy says..........
    It's incredibly easy to jailbreak and unlock an iPhone. Just make sure the iPhone is on firmware 3.1.2 and hasn't been updated to 3.1.3, or else the baseband will have been updated, meaning no unlock for that iPhone until one of the Dev Teams get a new unlock out. An unlock for the new baseband probably won't be until the summer, which is when Apple announces their new iPhone and will probably release the 4.0 firmware version.
    So who is right? and what happens if I buy one get it home and it's firmware 3.1.3? Am I stuck or can it be rolled back to earlier firmware edition?
    02-21-10 04:27 PM
    No, Brandon is right. It doesn't use codes like a blackberry. You have to install some software to unlock it.

If it's on 3.1.3, the baseband is stuck and you won't be able to downgrade because of Apple's new signature check for the 3GS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-10 04:38 PM
    Well so far I got the same answers I found all over the net. basically Im still lost.

You sure about the any firmware can be jailbroken? cause thats not what this guy says..........

So who is right? and what happens if I buy one get it home and it's firmware 3.1.3? Am I stuck or can it be rolled back to earlier firmware edition?
    The stock 3.1.3 jailbreak isn't available yet sry about that. There is a 3.1.3 jailbreak available but not for the stock upgraded 3.1.3 which you will probably have my bad for the miss information

this is the 3.1.3 I was referring to Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3 with Sn0wbreeze | Redmond Pie
    02-21-10 04:44 PM
    Ok sweet, I'm with you so far but how am I going to know when I'm shopping on ebay if they put 3.1.3 firmware in the description if it is the stock 3.1.3 or the upgraded 3.1.3. I feel like this might be a very expensive gamble if I get the wrong one.
    02-21-10 05:59 PM
    Ok sweet, I'm with you so far but how am I going to know when I'm shopping on ebay if they put 3.1.3 firmware in the description if it is the stock 3.1.3 or the upgraded 3.1.3. I feel like this might be a very expensive gamble if I get the wrong one.
    Well updating it through your iTunes eliminates this problem.
    02-21-10 07:32 PM
    If the firmware is 3.1.3 id stay away reguardless. Even if it has firmware 3.1.2 on it , it may still have the new bootrom on it that apple installed on there new 3gs's to prevent people from jailbreaking it. One way to tell is by the serial number (which the person on ebay should be able to provide to you). Take the first 5 digits of the serial number and do this.... From left to right check the 3rd 4th and 5th numbers.... those are the build dates. The 3rd number will be the year .. Example "9" means 2009. The 4th and 5th numbers will be the week it was built. You want to stay away from anything that says 940 or higher. 939 and lower will be the old bootroms and you should be good to go with jailbreaking it , if you choose to. The 39 is the 39th week it was built and that number seems to be the safe spot. After that , more then likely the iphone has the new bootrom which you will probably not want to spend your money on right now if you plan on jalbreaking it. Good luck
    Last edited by onenastybird; 02-21-10 at 10:19 PM.
    02-21-10 10:15 PM
    If the firmware is 3.1.3 id stay away reguardless. Even if it has firmware 3.1.2 on it , it may still have the new bootrom on it that apple installed on there new 3gs's to prevent people from jailbreaking it. One way to tell is by the serial number (which the person on ebay should be able to provide to you). Take the first 5 digits of the serial number and do this.... From left to right check the 3rd 4th and 5th numbers.... those are the build dates. The 3rd number will be the year .. Example "9" means 2009. The 4th and 5th numbers will be the week it was built. You want to stay away from anything that says 940 or higher. 939 and lower will be the old bootroms and you should be good to go with jailbreaking it , if you choose to. The 39 is the 39th week it was built and that number seems to be the safe spot. After that , more then likely the iphone has the new bootrom which you will probably not want to spend your money on right now if you plan on jalbreaking it. Good luck
    Thank you so much! That is exactly what I was looking for. I just got done reading about the new bootrom and how people bought there iphone and now every time it is turned off the iphone locks back up. Awesome reply, thanks again. Im off to weed through ebay listings to find one built before 939.
    02-21-10 11:01 PM
    Thank you so much! That is exactly what I was looking for. I just got done reading about the new bootrom and how people bought there iphone and now every time it is turned off the iphone locks back up. Awesome reply, thanks again. Im off to weed through ebay listings to find one built before 939.
    i agree that was a great post i never knew that.
    02-21-10 11:16 PM
    i agree that was a great post i never knew that.
    You got to love crackberry and all the great folks with the know how on here. Always impresses me. So I found 11 possibles so far and sent them all the same question........ "Can you provide the first 5 digits of the serial number # and what firmware version is currently on the phone? Thanks" Time to hit the bed and see who responds in the morning. Thanks again guys and I will keep everyone updated on my success or epic failure in this iphone buying experience.
    02-21-10 11:26 PM
    Well good luck. It shouldn't be hard to unlock it if you get a 3.1.2 iPhone. You should ask them if they have updated it or not. And make sure it's the old bootrom so you can have an untethered jailbreak in case your iPhone freezes and you need to reboot it.

02-22-10 12:21 AM
    Well just an update. I am watching 5 phones and bidding on one. I ended up asking a little over 20 sellers what the firmware and first five of the serial # was and got a lot of rude replies LOL. Most said..... "Im not giving you the serial # or the firmware. If you want to know buy the phone". Thats awesome! so needless to say those are no longer on my list. The six I am currently keeping my eye on have all replied and all are built before the 39th week and are on 3.1.2. All end within the next 48 hours so I will post back.
    02-22-10 05:58 PM
    Yeah, you'll always get some rude responses. Oh well, at least some of them weren't assholes. Good luck buying an iPhone.

02-22-10 08:21 PM
    I am trying to buy an iphone off e-bay cause I have my bb but want to give this iphone trend a try and see how I like it. I have an extra T-mobile sim activated so I just need the iphone unlocked . I want an iphone 3gs 16GB black but I am amazed by the amount the price varies for these things, $200-$1200.
    Now Im told there are fake ones on e-bay, aghhhhh. Do I really need it unlocked and jailbroken or can I do that myself?

Im generally a google is my friend type of person and dont ask things like this but my word this is insane. Some sites say "has to be Firmware 3.1.3 or below to work some say any firmware" So can anyone give me the low down from the horses mouth on what I need to buy?
    I myself don't have one and was gonna buy one before I heard about the rumoured 4G iPhones/iPod Touches in May-July. Anyway, I do believe you have to get it jailbroken to get the full use of the iPhone but I think it voids your warranty. I also believe the software to jailbreak it is called blackra1n. There are fake ones floating about on eBay. One ***** tried to sell me his fake ones twice for $150, what gave it away was when I asked him if they have two sim card slots and he said yes. From the research I did that is the A88/Hi-Phone fakes.
    Last edited by thebbnoob; 02-23-10 at 04:07 AM.
    02-23-10 04:04 AM
    Alright I just won my auction for a 16 GB 3GS iphone on 3.1.2 firmware with a serial build date of 920. The phone is still locked but if all my homework has paid off I should be able to unlock and jailbreak it and it stay unlocked. So now what guys? LOL what software do I need to unlock and jailbreak?

Edit: just a quick update, prior to winning the iphone that is currently on its way I had bid on 3 other iphones on e-bay yesterday and lost all 3 auctions but as of this morning all 3 have sent me second chance offers. Just wanted to let anyone know that if your looking for an iphone on e-bay if you dont win after a few attempts relax for a day and see if you get any second chance offers because I could have saved over $90 if I would have waited but oh well. Then again it hasnt even been 24 hours since the first one ended, giving the buyer time to pay so that makes me think all 3 had somebody they know upping the bid. Buying an iphone on e-bay makes you feel like your dealing with crack dealers in a back alley. More than once I have just weighed the odds of just signing the stupid 2 year contract with AT&T to avoid all this but anyway I will keep you posted on the one I did win when it comes in.
    Last edited by harrison0550; 02-25-10 at 09:21 AM.
    02-24-10 08:04 PM
    Well CRAP! I thought if I got one built before the 39th week on OS 3.1.2 that I wouldnt have to worry about the new bootloader but I WAS WRONG! Got my iphone in today and I have no idea what the crap to do with it to get it unlocked and jailbroken other than use blackra1n and have to unlock it every time I reboot. Thats not what I wanted. Any ideas guys? Can I downgrade this bootloader since it is built before the 39th week or did that all just go out the window when it got loaded with 5.11.07? HELP!?
    02-26-10 10:45 PM
    Well CRAP! I thought if I got one built before the 39th week on OS 3.1.2 that I wouldnt have to worry about the new bootloader but I WAS WRONG! Got my iphone in today and I have no idea what the crap to do with it to get it unlocked and jailbroken other than use blackra1n and have to unlock it every time I reboot. Thats not what I wanted. Any ideas guys? Can I downgrade this bootloader since it is built before the 39th week or did that all just go out the window when it got loaded with 5.11.07? HELP!?
    Wait did you already try and jailbreak it? My iphone was built 5 weeks after yours and im good to go, along with a few other people i know who have iphone 3gs's built after mine. Yours says 920.... Thats one of the original 3gs iphones and should have the old bootrom on it reguardless. the 05.11.07 is where you want to stay.
    Last edited by onenastybird; 03-01-10 at 12:04 PM.
    03-01-10 12:02 PM
    not sure if you can down grade, as far as rebooting every time it could be a pain but I really think its not too much. I hardly ever turn my phone completely off, nor allow the battery to completely drain. Usually charging it nighlty, as for rebooting its very very rare when I need to, heck I dont think I have ever had to do so yet.
    03-01-10 02:58 PM
    No I have not tried to jailbreak it yet. I have been waiting until I was absolutely sure I knew what I was doing first. So after hundreds of youtube videos and reading the dev teams site and tons of forum post I found out that when I thought 5.11.07 had anything to do with the bootloader I was wrong. They are 2 different things. I know most of you guys probably know that but honestly I didnt and all the incorrect info all over the net can confuse the **** out of you. Then to find out there are at least 3 different ways to jailbreak each OS of the iphone. I almost thought about putting it back on e-bay and stay with my BB. But today I got a very informative e-mail from some guy that read one of my post. He said I can jailbreak with redsn0w then go into cydia and download blacksn0w to unlock and since I have the original bootloader it will not be tethered. YAY!

In short 05.11.07 baseband with old bootloader and OS 3.1.2 equals redsn0w to jailbreak and blacks0w to unlock. Hahaha wtf yea thats not complicated at all. I will be trying it all tomorrow or Wednesday and if anybody wants I will make a guide with pics and directions of the whole process.
    03-01-10 04:32 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD