This is just another step down a strange road Apple seems to be on. There are numerous things like this that the iPhone does, screenshots of Maps and other apps, Facetime capturing random shots, keeping all your keystrokes logged etc. And it doesn't appear to be accidental, this file is captured in backups.

Setting aside the security implications involved due to how the data is stored and whether or not an individual cares, why do you guys think Apple would implement this sort of procedure? Is there some way they use or intend to use that info? why would it be stored so openly, backed up and will migrate to new devices? As a comparison, the BB Traffic app that tracks your top speed, avg speed, route, etc is specifically designed to NOT save that info after you have reached your destination...

Any theories on what's going on here?
    A small part of Steve Jobs' plan to take over the world.

His medical leave is just smoke and mirrors for the public while he puts the finishing touches on his life size and fully functioning Death Star (only not an egg shape, but rather the Apple Logo), and builds an army of clones. Only these clones aren't generic.... O no, they are of each one of us! Perfect clones built on the data all Apple devices have compiled about us and sent to Apple without anyone knowing. One day you will be confronted by someone, only that someone is YOU. You will be too freaked out to do anything before your clone beats you up and disposes of you. The clone will then take your place in your daily life and no one will notice it's not really you! And don't try to be slick by attempting to defeat your clone by exploiting your own weaknesses, because you think a clone would also possess them. Well your wrong, Steve Jobs is very smart and created the clones to mirror us in every little detail except any weakness that would prevent them from winning.

Strange thing about all this is that rumor has it the Apple Death Star core system is running Android 2.3 Gingerbread and all the clones carry and use Android devices. They first tried implementing BlackBerry OS 6.0 but performing a battery pull on the Death Star every day wasn't all that fun. Also the clones were spending too much time fooling around with BBM.
    Last edited by Mr. Marco; 04-21-11 at 05:22 AM.
    04-21-11 05:05 AM
    This:

They who are willing to exchange freedom for safety,deserve neither freedom or safety.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I have nothing to hide.
    But, I am not naive enough to think that this info will never be abused in some way by those who have access to it.
    That is a consequence of human nature.

I think of this as giving up a nickel of my freedom today.
    If I'm willing to given up a nickel today, then I will likely be asked to give up a dime next year. A quarter in 10 years, etc.
    It adds up without you realizing it.

I wonder if this tidbit (location logging) is buried in a user agreement somewhere?
    T�l�phonique likes this.
    04-21-11 07:55 AM
    Its called marketing folks. Is it a creepy, invation of privacy, way of doing it? Yes it is, but most like buried in the phones customer agreements that you must click on BUT probably didn't read, it says they have the right to collect said info. It is being used to serve up ads or for other market purposes there is most likely no neferious purpose. Yes it creepy! But the internet has been invading your privacy almost since you started using it. Nothing new here!

04-21-11 08:03 AM
    Its called marketing folks. Is it a creepy, invation of privacy, way of doing it? Yes it is, but most like buried in the phones customer agreements that you must click on BUT probably didn't read, it says they have the right to collect said info. It is being used to serve up ads or for other market purposes there is most likely no neferious purpose. Yes it creepy! But the internet has been invading your privacy almost since you started using it. Nothing new here!

Then it's time for a jailbreak app that will corrupt or delete the data.

Stick it to the man!!!
    04-21-11 08:09 AM
    Apple products are so consistent and good. Hard to argue that. That's why I use them but really-- that Jobs character is Creepy.

04-21-11 08:19 AM
    Apple products are so consistent and good. Hard to argue that. That's why I use them but really-- that Jobs character is Creepy.

I'd bet money that android devices collect the same data. This is part of Googles business model.
    Apple wants a piece of googles pie.
    04-21-11 08:24 AM
    I'd bet money that android devices collect the same data. This is part of Googles business model.
    Apple wants a piece of googles pie.
    I think I'm gonna buy a pager and a roll of quarters for the pay-phone!
    :-)

04-21-11 09:26 AM
    I think I'm gonna buy a pager and a roll of quarters for the pay-phone!
    :-)
    I'm seriously CRACKING up right now! LOOOOL!
    tedzone likes this.
    04-21-11 09:28 AM
    I'm seriously CRACKING up right now! LOOOOL!

You think I'm funny??

"Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics." ~Author Unknown

Now THAT'S funny my friend!!!
    just noticed that
    LOL Thx for the laugh :-)
    04-21-11 10:36 AM
    "Researchers find evidence iOS 4 records all your travels, again (updated) -- Engadget"

Nice redirection and completely missing the point. Yes you can be located with any carrier with your phone turned on but this is about tracking where you have gone and recording these locations.

Understand the difference?
    Hmm I didn't try to redirect anything and I didn't miss the point. Actually I fully understand what's going on but thanks for assuming I don't.

I simply stated a fact, that was all.
    04-21-11 10:36 AM
    Then it's time for a jailbreak app that will corrupt or delete the data.

Stick it to the man!!!
    UPDATE: And we now have an app for that.

It's called 'Untrackerd'. Available on Cydia. FREE.

Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 04-21-11 at 11:18 AM.
    runninlate likes this.
    04-21-11 11:13 AM
    04-21-11 12:19 PM
    04-21-11 01:42 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/sen...e-jobs-607290/

This is being posted in too many threads. There is already a discussion going on about the link you posted within a different thread in CB.
    04-21-11 01:54 PM

This is being posted in too many threads. There is already a discussion going on about the link you posted within a different thread in CB.
    Your point being?
    04-21-11 01:57 PM
    Your point being?
    My point being is that this should be discussed within one thread. Why do we need 100 different threads discussing the same exact thing?

You are cross posting links, when you should be posting the correct link to the original thread it is being discussed in, which is what I did. Cross posting is against the rules, and I can see why it is, because it causes cluttering when solid info can be consolidated into one single thread.
    04-21-11 02:06 PM
    My point being is that this should be discussed within one thread. Why do we need 100 different threads discussing the same exact thing?

You are cross posting links, when you should be posting the correct link to the original thread it is being discussed in, which is what I did. Cross posting is against the rules, and I can see why it is, because it causes cluttering when solid info can be consolidated into one single thread.
    Calm down. I posted a direct link to the letter within the thread about the very thing the letter is about.

No need to get all uptight......
    04-21-11 02:26 PM
    Calm down. I posted a direct link to the letter within the thread about the very thing the letter is about.

No need to get all uptight......
    I am calm. I do not care either way. I was just trying to keep things organized.

I'm not being uptight, just following the forum rules that are here for a reason.
    04-21-11 02:32 PM
    This story is spreading like a wildfire and is now front page of cnn.com

iPhone tracking: What you need to know - CNN.com

Yet Apple is staying quiet on the topic. Quiet so far at least.
    04-21-11 04:16 PM
    i work for the Government. and i'm not Philip ( Survivor Redemption Island!)

and the rationale of since i don't have anything to hide, i don't CARE is simply stupid! let me say that again.. STUPID.
    same thing with all the parents who are posting pictures of their house and children on the internet for all the World to see ( esp the Sexual Predators)

anyone here enjoy the calls from telemarketers? or all the spam emails that you get everyday? Exactly.

it's not just about Big Brother getting an idea of where you are.
    i'm more concerned about how the "regular" citizen will ABUSE the info.

We already know how the Big Companies are using those info.. let's see, so you dine at Friday's twice a week, and you shop at Macy's in Topanga, you go to CVS Pharmacy etc

and to our friends who are in the "Let's rob your house while you're on Vacay" business, this is GOLD. they can now know that you are 2,000 miles away from your home.. no NEED to rush! they can grab a beer from your fridge and even watch the Play OFFs.

think about it.
    andyahs, Hamp and T�l�phonique like this.
    04-21-11 04:34 PM
    Mark_rivers19 has a point. This same point is stated in the article itself: "Given how freely we offer up our intimate details to a growing suite of social networks from location "check-ins" to photos of our children, ZDNet's Sam Diaz has a point when he echoes this "yawner of a development."

Truly, this is cause for concern (same as when the government notified me that some laptops in Iraq were stolen that had military personnels' information on them) but really, we offer up this stuff FREELY everyday and with much more personal and intimate detail, right down to the second!

Ever send/recieve a "Tweet",FB message or use Fousquare saying/showing where you were currently? What about all those pics of where you are and have been?

Now ask yourself, even with "privacy" settings, how many of your friends' "friends" do you really know and would share so much information with, like what time you're away from your home?

C'mon people, THINK! The only way to keep something secure on the internet is NOT TO POST IT ANYWHERE ON THE INTERNET! You know and I know it!

BTW, Mark_Rivers19 - Hooah! (or OORAH - Air Force), fellow military servicemember (RET).
    Last edited by Hamp; 04-21-11 at 05:43 PM. Reason: addition
    mark_rivers19 likes this.
    04-21-11 05:40 PM
    I bet mot smartphone owners have geolocation turned on and they don't even know it. Every time you post a pic your location (exact location) is stored.
    04-21-11 05:45 PM
    UPDATE: And we now have an app for that.

It's called 'Untrackerd'. Available on Cydia. FREE.
    Thanks! I was just going to search for something like that.
    04-21-11 05:45 PM
    i work for the Government. and i'm not Philip ( Survivor Redemption Island!)

and the rationale of since i don't have anything to hide, i don't CARE is simply stupid! let me say that again.. STUPID.
    same thing with all the parents who are posting pictures of their house and children on the internet for all the World to see ( esp the Sexual Predators)

anyone here enjoy the calls from telemarketers? or all the spam emails that you get everyday? Exactly.

it's not just about Big Brother getting an idea of where you are.
    i'm more concerned about how the "regular" citizen will ABUSE the info.

We already know how the Big Companies are using those info.. let's see, so you dine at Friday's twice a week, and you shop at Macy's in Topanga, you go to CVS Pharmacy etc

and to our friends who are in the "Let's rob your house while you're on Vacay" business, this is GOLD. they can now know that you are 2,000 miles away from your home.. no NEED to rush! they can grab a beer from your fridge and even watch the Play OFFs.

think about it.
    Exactly, well said, and not to mention any businesses/politicians/public figures(celebrities) and worst of all minors that are using apple products, children being tracked, this alone should break many many laws. Do terms and conditions apply to minors anyway?

04-22-11 04:34 AM
    Apparently, Google is also doing it (even though I already figured that).

Android gathering location data too, researcher develops harvesting tool | BGR
    04-22-11 12:20 PM
79 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD