Apparently, Google is also doing it (even though I already figured that).

Android gathering location data too, researcher develops harvesting tool | BGR
    Probably but they're not storing it on the devices, as long as it's on the device it can't be anonymous.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-11 12:31 PM
    Probably but they're not storing it on the devices, as long as it's on the device it can't be anonymous.

My MacBook Pro is password protected, my backups are encrypted and password protected, and no one touches my iPhone besides me, unless they have my supervision (this goes for all of my phones).

With all that said, there is no way someone is going to take that info from me. There will have to hack my MacBook Pro to access the file.
    04-22-11 01:46 PM
    My MacBook Pro is password protected, my backups are encrypted and password protected, and no one touches my iPhone besides me, unless they have my supervision (this goes for all of my phones).

With all that said, there is no way someone is going to take that info from me. There will have to hack my MacBook Pro to access the file.
    Yes man, that's you but how many kids out there have iphones or ipads or macs? Come on, this is very very wrong, what about child protection laws?

04-22-11 01:55 PM
    Cool. So if I ever get kidnapped call Steve Jobs up. He'll know exactly where I'm being kept.
    Oooo!!: GOD!!!-m kidnapped+ooh yeah!let me turn my iphone on!oooh!Snap,I don't have 1-Lol!!

04-22-11 02:00 PM

i'm sure you know this already, but for the other readers who don't.. every other PC or MAC that your iPhone came in contact with ( Sync) will have the data that is stored in that iPhone.

So let's say my wife's iphone got stolen/ accidentally left in the park, all the person needed to do is sync that iphone to a computer, and with a little knowledge he now knows where we live, where she shop and where my wife has been doing her Yoga for the past year.
    it's as simple as that folks.
    04-22-11 02:10 PM
    Yes man, that's you but how many kids out there have iphones or ipads or macs? Come on, this is very very wrong, what about child protection laws?

I'm not saying it isn't wrong. But they all do it. You might be able to turn it off with a BB, and that is great. But what about all the teens and other kids that don't know how? People barely know how to use these smartphones.

i'm sure you know this already, but for the other readers who don't.. every other PC or MAC that your iPhone came in contact with ( Sync) will have the data that is stored in that iPhone.

So let's say my wife's iphone got stolen/ accidentally left in the park, all the person needed to do is sync that iphone to a computer, and with a little knowledge he now knows where we live, where she shop and where my wife has been doing her Yoga for the past year.
    it's as simple as that folks.
    I understand this. But you just explained a situation that most likely will not happen to me. That is why I said what I said in the post you quoted me. I have never lost a cellphone. I am OCD with my devices. They are expensive and I take good care of them. I will not lose my device. So for my situation, I am safe, for your wife, she is screwed.

I hope Apple does patch this and encrypt it or whatever they have to do so its anonymous and unusable for unauthorized parties.
    04-22-11 03:40 PM
    I'm not saying it isn't wrong. But they all do it. You might be able to turn it off with a BB, and that is great. But what about all the teens and other kids that don't know how? People barely know how to use these smartphones.
    I'm sorry but there's a big difference between having your location stored and transmitted secretly as on iphone and android and blackberry which has this setting right into location setting as well as a detailed explanation for what the setting is for exactly.

By the way, it looks like Android collects even more data every few seconds and transmitted a few times an hour back to Google, even info about wifi hot spots near your phone. Basically doing the same thing their google streetview cars were doing and they got in trouble for.

No wonder they gave android away for free.

04-23-11 06:23 AM
    i'm sure this is great news for parents that have kids in pre-k getting ipads, i'm sure we will see this being used as bait on future episode of chris hansens to catch a predator.
    04-23-11 07:43 AM
    I'm sorry but there's a big difference between having your location stored and transmitted secretly as on iphone and android and blackberry which has this setting right into location setting as well as a detailed explanation for what the setting is for exactly.

By the way, it looks like Android collects even more data every few seconds and transmitted a few times an hour back to Google, even info about wifi hot spots near your phone. Basically doing the same thing their google streetview cars were doing and they got in trouble for.

No wonder they gave android away for free.

I never said there wasn't a big difference. I clearly said it was a problem. I clearly said I want to hear a response from Apple. I want this stopped.

Also, Google collects the data if you Opt-in. There is a box to check if you want to Opt-in. Other apps just do it secretly and Google needs to stop this as well. I don't know if Google still mines that data even if we don't Opt in, but I can see it happening.

This avt123 person simply doesn't get it.
    Don't waste your time explaining it because avt123 misses the point every time.
    No, I do get it. Stop treating me like I'm an imbecile. Your criticism of my intelligence and and how you are deliberately misunderstanding what I am saying is really starting to annoy me. Especially when I am saying I understand this. I am just pointing out different things as well. Do you not see the difference?
    Last edited by avt123; 04-23-11 at 11:41 AM.
    04-23-11 11:18 AM
    Where is this "opt in" setting? Let people know about it.

04-23-11 12:28 PM
    Where is this "opt in" setting? Let people know about it.

Google: Android location tracking is opt-in | BGR

I recently sold my DX, but if I remember correctly, you see these options when you first set up the device (before you even see the homescreen), and I believe you can find them again under "location and security" options in the settings.
    04-23-11 12:37 PM
    Let's leave to personal attacks out of the discussion and keep on topic please.

Thread cleaned up and re opened
    04-23-11 03:00 PM
    I dont really see this as a bad thing unless your some killer or something that has something to hide?

Honestly, unless you are one of those wackos that is paranoid of the government and "Big Brother" I don't know why there is any cause for concern here.
    There is a flaw in your way of thinking. The issue is about you, unknowingly, and involuntarily surrendering your PRIVACY to a corporation.

It's people like you that slowly create a climate in which more and more of our rights and privacy are being taken away.

eg:
    I don't mind Apple tracking my location, I have nothing to hide.
    I don't mind the TSA x-raying me at the airport, I have nothing to hide.
    Eventually leads to:
    I don't mind getting the "rubber glove" treatment at the airport, I have nothing to hide.
    I don't mind undergoing a fingerprint scan to buy cereal at the store, I have nothing to hide.
    I don't mind government agents coming in my house and searching it while I'm not home, I have nothing to hide.

It's one of our most basic liberties and freedoms for people to NOT be watched by their government or a private corporation without their knowledge or consent. Whether or not you have something to hide has nothing to do with it. You should also realize that we are innocent until proven guilty, not guilty until proven innocent. If you're up to illegal activities, it's the governments job to prove it - not track you under a microscope and wait for you to screw up so they can get you.

Applications like FourSquare, etc. are at least voluntary - so if I want to share my location on Facebook/Twitter - it's my choice. I understand the risks and I made the decision myself as to whether there is an "electronic record" of where I was at a certain time. But I shouldn't be subjected to it without my knowledge or consent.

People with your way of thinking are the reason America is going down the tubes fast.

And there certainly are security risks with this if you're an important person. Who's to say somebody can't figure out a way to exploit this information and use it to track somebody (whether you're a VIP or have a crazy ex)

So if YOU have nothing to hide, and don't mind being tracked - then by all means, install those applications and let them track you. Go all the way and implant a chip on your body and put cameras in your house. But don't set a hard and fast rule for other people who actually want to maintain some dignity and privacy.
    04-25-11 10:44 AM
    Might I also remind you what happened a few years back:

Phone Companies Gave Private Customer Data to Government Without Consent or Court Order

www (dot) aclunc (dot) org/issues/privacy/phone_companies_gave_private_customer_data_to_gove rnment_without_consent_or_court_order.shtml

"Articles in USA Today and elsewhere revealed that the telephone companies have been providing the NSA with customers’ private records since September 11, 2001. Records given to the NSA include phone numbers for both incoming and outgoing calls, as well as the time, date, and duration of each call.

This information was turned over without customers’ knowledge or consent, and without any court order, warrant, or other proper legal process."

And now with the iPhone, they can track everywhere you've ever been too.

Seems to me those 'wackos that [are] paranoid of the government and "Big Brother" ' are more sane than those wackos who are too blind to see what is and has been happening.
    04-25-11 11:01 AM
    Just go to Settings -> General ->Location Services -> Off but you'll need to turn it on for any apps that require location service.
    04-25-11 11:46 AM
    Security and Apple go together like oil and water. I wonder how well that iTunes credit card info is stored...
    04-25-11 11:55 AM
    Just go to Settings -> General ->Location Services -> Off but you'll need to turn it on for any apps that require location service.
    The problem is that it seems this logging isn't even tied to this setting - it will still log your locations using wifi and tower location.

I would like to see a new setting for this specific thing.
    04-25-11 12:55 PM
    The problem is that it seems this logging isn't even tied to this setting - it will still log your locations using wifi and tower location.
    Yeah, apparently at the cell towers.

iPhone saves location data even when option turned off: paper - thestar.com
    Last edited by RetroAndreas; 04-25-11 at 02:10 PM.
    04-25-11 01:53 PM
    "The iPhone is not logging your location. Rather, it's maintaining a database"

Lol, nice one

04-27-11 10:58 AM
    I assume everyone here has a SS number, you have been tracked since day one of your life. Discount card for grocery store, drug store or any store you are being tracked. Credit card/ATM card, you are being tracked. Just about everything we do in some shape form or fashion, we are being tracked. It has been going on for years. When you think about it, it is kinda creepy. It goes way deeper than our cell phones we use.
    04-27-11 11:30 AM
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't see what the big deal is. If you use the Internet, you're tracked, too. Think about it, cookies.

Anyway...
    04-27-11 04:33 PM
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't see what the big deal is. If you use the Internet, you're tracked, too. Think about it, cookies.

Anyway...
    You can delete cookies, even disable them, this is tracking you when you're doing nothing and just moving from one place to another and you can't turn it off.
    04-27-11 04:54 PM
    The good news I hear is that:

1. Apple is going to start encrypting this logging on the phone.
    2. It will only store 1 week of data on the phone.
    3. It will not back it up via itunes.
    4. It will not be written at all if you have location services disabled.

This is good! It is still unclear about whether Apple was receiving this information themselves - the last information I saw was that the phone wasn't transmitting the information to Apple, but was just writing it out.
    04-27-11 08:21 PM
    I assume everyone here has a SS number, you have been tracked since day one of your life. Discount card for grocery store, drug store or any store you are being tracked. Credit card/ATM card, you are being tracked. Just about everything we do in some shape form or fashion, we are being tracked. It has been going on for years. When you think about it, it is kinda creepy. It goes way deeper than our cell phones we use.
    ^^The most common-sense based post in this entire thread. We are all tracked by more than just our cell phones and cell companies every day. To this day, even after being honorably discharged from the Army 14 years ago, I am always one of the people pulled out of the line to have my baggage gone through whenever I fly. I am certain this is due to what my MOS was and the security clearance I held.
    I for one think that if the government or anyone else wants to find you, they will. One way or another.

04-27-11 10:18 PM
    Wow people, stop freaking out, lol! Sheesh.

Apple's response
    answers your concerns. It was a bug. The information was NOT being sent to Apple except randomly and anonymously, and it was to help improve location-based services on your device. Big Brother may be watching you, but Apple is not.
    04-30-11 12:46 PM
79 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD