04-20-11 10:55 AM
    This is not new, back in 2007 it was discovered that data was being sent to Apple via the native weather and stock app.
    04-20-11 12:34 PM
    Cool. So if I ever get kidnapped call Steve Jobs up. He'll know exactly where I'm being kept.
    04-20-11 12:34 PM
    Cool. So if I ever get kidnapped call Steve Jobs up. He'll know exactly where I'm being kept.
    Glad you are so concerned......
    04-20-11 01:26 PM
    I dont really see this as a bad thing unless your some killer or something that has something to hide?
    04-20-11 01:34 PM
    Im not that concerned. I have nothing to hide
    04-20-11 02:09 PM
    Glad you are so concerned......
    Why be concerned? Do you honestly think you are safe for owning a BB? Anyone with a cellphone can be found extremely quickly.

Unless Apple comes out and starts killing people and finding them using this data, there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

I'm not saying you, but when these type of things pop up, no matter the platform, some people really start to think they are more important than they really are.
    04-20-11 02:16 PM
    Honestly, unless you are one of those wackos that is paranoid of the government and "Big Brother" I don't know why there is any cause for concern here.
    04-20-11 02:24 PM
    I don't like it at all. However, I already figured they were along doing this along with Google. As long as it doesn't compromise security, I guess we'll have to live with it. But I certainly don't think it's right. Not one bit.
    04-20-11 02:28 PM
    Honestly, unless you are one of those wackos that is paranoid of the government and "Big Brother" I don't know why there is any cause for concern here.
    I wouldn't call those people wackos. You see, it is different when someone needs a device or something else to be watched. Being watched for the sake of being watched is a total different category.

Not saying that I agree with them, but they do have a case. The government is watching and it's a known fact. Some people just care more than others.
    04-20-11 02:41 PM
    I dont really see this as a bad thing unless your some killer or something that has something to hide?
    Right.. let's put a camera in your bedroom, living room, etc... hey, you don't have anything to hide. Do you?

Privacy matters whether you're doing something wrong or not.
    T�l�phonique likes this.
    04-20-11 03:26 PM
    I think it may get covered on this week's Security Now fyi.
    04-20-11 03:39 PM
    Right.. let's put a camera in your bedroom, living room, etc... hey, you don't have anything to hide. Do you?

Privacy matters whether you're doing something wrong or not.
    Lmao oh please. Stop being melodramatic. There is a big difference between those two things.
    Last edited by TheAlmightyDrew; 04-20-11 at 03:59 PM.
    04-20-11 03:50 PM
    04-20-11 04:00 PM
    Why be concerned? Do you honestly think you are safe for owning a BB? Anyone with a cellphone can be found extremely quickly.
    "Researchers find evidence iOS 4 records all your travels, again (updated) -- Engadget"

Nice redirection and completely missing the point. Yes you can be located with any carrier with your phone turned on but this is about tracking where you have gone and recording these locations.

Understand the difference?
    04-20-11 04:05 PM
    Yeah that's so messed up. I have a 3g iPhone so I didn't update to iOS 4 because I heard it was laggy. It's like onstar. I heard that the government is giving encentives(sp?) to car companies to install onstar. They cam follow innocent people. Also, what if u get in a hit & run. The'll call u like "this is onstar. We detected u were in an accident". And you'd be like "no I ain't!". But they already recorded everything from satellites. Easy-Pass is the same way.

Just think about it. The government of just about every country started with rebels & insurgents(sp?) & revolutionaries. What would of happen if Britain could of tracked Thomas Jefferson & George Washington when they upgraded to iOS 4? They could of been found out before revolution ever started. Like in north Korea every family has a government owned radio that's illegal to turn off. You can only turn it down. It broadcast pro government propaganda 24/7.

And another thing. What if someone like the guy from wikileaks. They said he raped someone just to get him without it looking like a conspiracy. I think they had to let him go because he was somewhere else when it happen. But if he had iOS4 on his iPhone than maybe they would of had an easier time framing him because they would of knew where he was at all times. There are certain things that the masses have a right to know. There are certain things that the powerful elites don't have a right to know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by blue81to; 04-20-11 at 06:55 PM.
    kbz1960 and T�l�phonique like this.
    04-20-11 06:48 PM
    Apple seem to be a trifle lat with this.

George Orwell wrote it all down in his book - 1984.
    04-20-11 06:53 PM
    Dang!! My wife is gonna find out I've been sneaking McDonalds

Deathcommand likes this.
    04-20-11 07:25 PM
    Dang!! My wife is gonna find out I've been sneaking McDonalds

I think when she sees your muffin top spilling over your pants and belt she will know, without the need to see the iPhone location records.
    04-20-11 08:49 PM
    I think when she sees your muffin top spilling over your pants and belt she will know, without the need to see the iPhone location records.
    actually I'm very fit. was just being funny. but YOU are too (funny, not fat). :-)

04-20-11 09:27 PM
    Lmao oh please. Stop being melodramatic. There is a big difference between those two things.
    Of course there's a difference - but of course you miss the point. That's ok.

The point is that "I have nothing to hide" is an idiotic reason to give up your privacy and isn't a reason to not care about it.

There have been cases where AT&T and other companies have given up information about their customers pretty much without a real fight and if they are allowed to maintain that information then it can be used maliciously.

Of course, you're welcome to wait until it actually happens before you actually think it's a big deal.
    T�l�phonique likes this.
    04-20-11 09:45 PM
    Of course there's a difference - but of course you miss the point. That's ok.

The point is that "I have nothing to hide" is an idiotic reason to give up your privacy and isn't a reason to not care about it.

There have been cases where AT&T and other companies have given up information about their customers pretty much without a real fight and if they are allowed to maintain that information then it can be used maliciously.

Of course, you're welcome to wait until it actually happens before you actually think it's a big deal.
    Pretty good point.

04-20-11 09:55 PM
    They who are willing to exchange freedom for safety,deserve neither freedom or safety.

T�l�phonique likes this.
    04-20-11 10:17 PM
    This is just another step down a strange road Apple seems to be on. There are numerous things like this that the iPhone does, screenshots of Maps and other apps, Facetime capturing random shots, keeping all your keystrokes logged etc. And it doesn't appear to be accidental, this file is captured in backups.

Setting aside the security implications involved due to how the data is stored and whether or not an individual cares, why do you guys think Apple would implement this sort of procedure? Is there some way they use or intend to use that info? why would it be stored so openly, backed up and will migrate to new devices? As a comparison, the BB Traffic app that tracks your top speed, avg speed, route, etc is specifically designed to NOT save that info after you have reached your destination...

Any theories on what's going on here?
    04-21-11 02:02 AM
    Yea sheep, because what could we possibly be paranoid about? Guess you don't watch the fear mongering on the news everyday.

04-21-11 03:00 AM
79 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD