12-14-09 09:39 AM
29 12
tools
    My 1 year contract with my Blackberry Bold 9000 ends this May, which I would then qualify either for the new Blackberry 9700 or the iPhone 3g s.

The iPhone upgrade is only $99 AND I keep my current BlackBerry ($300-400 resale)

The other option would be to upgrade to the 9700 for $199 (still keeping my 9000). I hear all this talk about the iPhone, but I'm wondering if long term users of the phone really think that it's still worth it. I have to say I do love my 9000
    11-28-09 10:42 AM
    I am a long term user of the iPhone and yes it is all that and more. It is more than "still" worth it, the build quality is second to none. Take advantage of the trial period, if you don't like it return it.
    11-28-09 10:51 AM
    I can reccomend an iPhone. I don't own one anymore, but it was a great phone. I wanted a physical qwerty and something that handled messaging a little better so I went with BB. Don't count on getting $300-$400 resale for your Bold 9000. I sold mine months ago and got around $300 then, but now its value is a lot lower.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-09 11:41 AM
    I've had the curve, 3g, and now 3gs, and now getting a bold.

The iphone is handsdown a awesome phone, has everything you need and more. The battery life is terrible, i mean 1 day if you text somewhat and you know call every so often. Playing games it will last you like half a day if that.

Im going back to the bold for it was way better for texting, has BBM which is really popular around my area. And overall just a more low key phone.

Ive realized i need buttons on my phone. Iphone lags every so often.
    11-28-09 02:10 PM
    I've had the curve, 3g, and now 3gs, and now getting a bold.

The iphone is handsdown a awesome phone, has everything you need and more. The battery life is terrible, i mean 1 day if you text somewhat and you know call every so often. Playing games it will last you like half a day if that.

Im going back to the bold for it was way better for texting, has BBM which is really popular around my area. And overall just a more low key phone.

Ive realized i need buttons on my phone. Iphone lags every so often.

The 3g or 3gs lags?
    11-28-09 03:34 PM
    I use both iPhone and Blackberry devices. If you want a great media device the iPhone is definitely the device to get. As a primary communications device the Blackberry is better. I think the much better option is to keep the Bold 9000 and get the iPhone. The 9700 is not that much of an upgrade over the 9000. I still continue to use my 9000. The only complaint with the 9000 for me was the obvious trackball. Just keep it clean and you are good. I wipe my trackball down with some alcohol solution and a qtip whenever I can. It keeps it white and working.

+1 for iPhone and 9000. Amazing combo
    11-28-09 03:55 PM
    The 3g or 3gs lags?
    Has never lagged for me and mine is jailbroken (hacked). In fact, this is the only phone I've never needed to reboot for sluggish performance.

I recommend what ever you like. The 3Gs has the best battery in it's class, IMO. I say this because everyone compares it to a phone with physical keys, smaller screen, no 3G, and/or a phone they won't use as much as the iPhone.

All my other devices had better battery because of those reasons above. They had a physical keyboard (which uses less battery than an all touch), smaller screen doesn't have to light up a 3.5 inch screen, worked on EDGE so not simultaneous voice and data as well as EDGE not needing as much resources as 3G, and phone usage! I use my iPhone a lot... in fact, almost non stop.

Find a phone that has all the features of the iPhone and performs well on battery. You won't.

If battery life is a concern, at least find out for yourself. I can go 12+ hour days on heavy usage with one charge.
    11-28-09 04:08 PM
    After starting with the Treo then IPhone, I just upgraded to the 9700 so far I like it better than the IPhone but I have a ITouch for backup
    11-28-09 04:11 PM
    Both the iPhone and the Bold are awesome phones for what they intended to do. I'd say keep your 9000 and get the 3gs. Best of both world and you never have any regrets.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-09 07:53 PM
    I use both a Blackberry and iPhone 3GS. I just switch sim cards whenever I
    please. All my contacts sync with MS Outlook. So if I ever make any changes
    everything goes through there and fixes on my phones.

I run the BB data plan. All you gotta do is unlock the APN on your iPhone to use
    the internet on your iPhone. The only thing you lose is the PUSH email for the
    iPhone. That is if you use an account that has push services like Yahoo or Gmail.

Other than that everything else works the same. You even get VVM.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/how...a-plan-348311/
    Last edited by forever29; 11-28-09 at 08:02 PM.
    11-28-09 07:56 PM
    Ain't that some ish! f29... thanks! I was wondering why my Yahoo stopped pushing. Grrr!
    11-28-09 08:18 PM
    I had the 9000 and then bought a 3GS. The iPhone is a very nice multimedia phone and if you like something that is simple to use and looks good I'd get the iPhone. I personally I am going to sell my 3GS and get a 9700 because I miss all the customization that you can do with BlackBerries, and texting is much easier.
    11-29-09 10:13 AM
    Has never lagged for me and mine is jailbroken (hacked).
    If battery life is a concern, at least find out for yourself. I can go 12+ hour days on heavy usage with one charge.
    So twice the battery life of my iPod touch under heavy use? I don't think so.
    11-30-09 09:06 PM
    I ditched my iPhone for a BB Storm. I don't see what my BB can't do that my iPhone can.
    11-30-09 11:38 PM
    The major reason I'm thinking about switching to the iPhone is that all blackberry's always decay. You always have to return them and ****. I just got a new bold under 1 year warranty and the mute button is already starting to not work...
    12-06-09 08:50 PM
    You won't have those problems with an iPhone. The iPhone is built like a tank.

The major reason I'm thinking about switching to the iPhone is that all blackberry's always decay. You always have to return them and ****. I just got a new bold under 1 year warranty and the mute button is already starting to not work...
    12-07-09 04:33 AM
    Can't really say one over the other. It depends on your needs as a smartphone user. I myself prefer the iPhone for my personal needs. If I was in a position that I needed something bullet proof, I'd go with blackberry. Hands down. You have to know what you want from your smartphone and weigh the pros and cons. But you already have a top of the line berry, I'd go with the iPhone for sure.
    12-07-09 08:13 AM
    I have owned BB's in the past and most recently the 9700. The 9700 is a very nice device, however the the build quality is what keeps me with the iPhone. Too many moving parts leaves too much room for problems to arise. The iPhone is a sealed solid device, no creaks or clicks and doesn't have a plastic screen!
    12-07-09 10:19 AM
    I got my iPhone the last day of my Thanksgiving Break (I'm a college student) and I have to say, I will NEVER go back to Blackberry!! (Sorry that was a little extreme, but I had to do it.

Personally, I would go with the iPhone. Although I haven't had it that long, I can tell you that you won't want to go back to the BB, that is, unless you absolutely need access to your email on a 24/7 basis, then I wouldn't recommend it. Otherwise, you will love it. Everything about it is fantastic to me, and it just works. It's operating system is fast, smooth and doesn't look archaic like the BB os. The only thing I regret about my iPhone is not getting it sooner. In the end though, the decision is all yours.

I personally gave up the BB due to horrible experiences via T-Mobile. I hope you enjoy your phone, which ever one you decide to get.
    12-09-09 04:51 AM
    I had an Iphone for about 3 months, and didn't like it very much. I mean the os is smooth but I found the restrictions on the phone a pain. and i wanted the full keybored.

I went to the android and found that it was just as smooth and had many more free useful downloadable apps then the iphone and the best personalizing capabilities.

However I have now returned to my trusted blackberries. I found that the blackberry is truly the phone for someone who uses many messenger clients. I have 4 emails, text, 7 instant messengers (including bbm), Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, multiply, orkut, and frienster, running and updating nonstop, plus using many other non-communication applications throughout the day and making phone calls and my battery lasts all day. And the phone has never blacked out on me. The iphone and android I owned could never have supported all these and had a battery last a day.

so for time tested perfection stick with blackberry, if you want to be the tester fr all the new crap coming out for iPhone go ahead, but remember they haven't perfected them yet
    12-09-09 09:03 AM
    i've had the original bold, palm pre, palm pixi, and 9700 within the past few months and the iphone 3GS is hands down my favorite! obviously you shouldn't go with it if you need email all day long all the time, but if you dont need it that frequently it's amazing.

the web browser is AMAZING, the ipod functions are epic, the screen is big and beautiful, the video recorder/camera works GREAT, and the build quality is rock solid!

iphone ftw !
    12-09-09 12:02 PM
    Totally depends on OP's needs. If he's using it to talk constantly along with heavy email usage (with possible multiple accounts), I'd go with the 9700 hands down. The battery life alone is legendary.

If he wants a great multimedia experience, then there isn't a BB on the market that can hold a candle to the iPhone.

I have a Storm2 and my sis has an iPhone. She is in business marketing, and finds her phone a little lacking for her needs, but when it comes to web browsing, playing videos, and the overall GUI experience I'm jealous every time it's in my hand. My job dictates that I am in constant email contact, so the iPhone just isn't an option for me (not to mention AT&T's network), but if it was just a personal phone, I'd love to own once it's not exclusive anymore.

Both great phones in their own right.
    12-10-09 10:17 AM
    So twice the battery life of my iPod touch under heavy use? I don't think so.
    Because you've owned an iPhone and it didn't last that long

When I worked 12+ hour days at AT&T, it definitely lasted that long. When I got home, I'd hit the 20%, sometimes right before I hit home.

You may want to take another look at that sentence... it says "I", not you "you"
    12-10-09 05:22 PM
    I am in the same situation too, but will get the bold real soon. BB is getting very popular here. Then let' see which one is better
    Last edited by eelk; 12-11-09 at 03:38 AM.
    12-11-09 03:36 AM
    I too have had both. I went from an BB 8700, 8300, 8310 to an IPHONE 3G to a BB 9000, then a IPHONE 3GS back to my BB 9000.

Personally I missed the keyboard of the bb and the blinky notification light. I loved browsing on the IPHONE, but found that unless I was on wifi, i didn's surf the internet often enough. One of the major complaints(to me) was the IPHONE's inability to multitask. I didn't think I was a multitasker until I purchased my IPHONE.

In the end... I sold my IPHONE, went back to my BB 9000 and purchased an ITOUCH. really is the perfect match for my needs. Loved the IPHONE, but its just not there for me.

Personally I am waiting to see nexts years version from Apple and go from there. Said it once, say it again; give me an IPHONE with a keyboard and blinky light and I will probably switch. Until then... I'm BB all the way.
    12-11-09 07:04 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD