Just noticed today(while allowing my 1 1/2 yr. old to play with my iphone) that holding down the home button on the iPhone 4 triggers a little red LED right above the Handset ear piece to light up. You guys think apple would come out with an OS that would use the LED for SMS,email, mms, and phone call notifications? Not sure if this has been posted before... Thanks!
    11-29-10 02:48 AM
    FYI: the LED lights up when using voice control... It's faint but it lights up. Hope it will be used for notification purposes.
    11-29-10 02:58 AM
    Pretty sure you are seeing the light from the proximity sensor.
    11-29-10 07:54 AM
    @ugahairydawgs is that what it is? I never noticed it on the iPhone 3GS.... Interesting.... What would be the point of it lighting up with voice control? Just curious.
    11-29-10 11:05 AM
    ooh thats pretty cool didnt know that was there... needs to be just a tad brighter for notifications and we'd be in business!
    11-29-10 06:40 PM
    I dont have any small red LED light on my iPhone4 and ive been holding down my home key now for a few minutes. All I get is the voice control opening up.
    11-29-10 09:38 PM
    That's just light bleeding thru the headphone jack (if we're looking at the same place).

Nothing major, an LED would be awesome, I miss that on my BB
    11-30-10 08:16 AM
    That's just light bleeding thru the headphone jack (if we're looking at the same place).

Nothing major, an LED would be awesome, I miss that on my BB
    Your looking in the wrong area... The little LED shows right above the handset receiver on the left. It's there but very faint like I said. I never noticed on the 3GS... Holding down the home button activates voice control which also activates the LED, you need to be in a room that's kinda dark to notice it. Like
    ugahairydawgs said it's the LED from the proximity sensor, but I never noticed one on previous iPhone's, so not sure why they would add one now... That's just my opinion. But the LED is definitely there... It would be cool if apple came out with an OS that would use that LED as a notification light. Not sure if it's possible without affecting the proximity sensor.
    Last edited by CREYNA; 11-30-10 at 01:30 PM.
    11-30-10 01:27 PM
    Oh wow. I see it now lol, hadn't noticed that before except on an iPad where it's really obvious.

Cool
    12-01-10 09:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD