New iPad user. I dl the new version of Handbrake for PC. Chose Ipad as a preset and loaded a Harry Potter DVD. It took 7 HOURS. The file was 8.6GB. That can't be right. What did I do wrong? I have a paid converter in Roxio, but it shows my DVDs as locked or protected. It's a useless POS program anyway. Thanks for any assistance.
    05-16-11 02:01 PM
    Its right, mpeg is a larger file then the avi that was on your dvd.
    Choose ipad, but lower the settings. If you want a higher quality it will be big, especially with the resolution.
    Also, if youre not converting a 720p video i suggest lowering the resolution as well.
    05-16-11 03:04 PM
    Its right, mpeg is a larger file then the avi that was on your dvd.
    Choose ipad, but lower the settings. If you want a higher quality it will be big, especially with the resolution.
    Also, if youre not converting a 720p video i suggest lowering the resolution as well.
    Thanks. So what's a good setting using a regular DVD from the drive as the source, to look as good on the iPad as whatever you buy from iTunes? I wish there was a filesize estimate on there, I know that 1GB is about right for most movies.
    05-16-11 04:22 PM
    I've used both VidCoder (based on Handbrake) and Freemake to rip and convert files (currently for iPhone, but iPad conversion exists as well) and, without mucking with the defaults, it seems to me that Freemake runs faster - and the files smaller.
    I would have thought conversion to iPad would take less time as the conversion of scale would be less than say, for an iPhone, but the size of the files can still surprise. Equivalent files converted for BlackBerry (or, some years ago - via Handbrake - to Palm) were much smaller, but visual quality would likely be an issue there, too.
    05-20-11 07:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD