Sold my Torch today. Had the phone for over 4 weeks. Was really liking the Torch. Came from a 9700 which I only had for 2 months and iPhone 3G which I had for 2 years. Something came over me and I decided to pick up an iPhone 4 to try out. After a few hours with the iphone 4 I decided to hook up my Torch again cause I miss the BB. After a couple of days I decided to try the iPhone again. This went back and forth for over a week. Finally decided to give it a full go on the iPhone once and for all cause the screen, speed and battery life was great compared to the Torch. After a full few days with the iPhone I was hooked. I turned on the Torch last night to just go browsing with WiFi and the thing just couldn't compare. After already being used to how crisp and amazing the Retina screen and blazing fast the Web Browsing is on the iPhone I couldn't go back to BB. I never thought the Torch was laggy even with .246 on but once going to a higher end phone, Yes the Torch feels very laggy compared to the iPhone 4. I had a few dropped calls with the iPhone the first 2 days but everything has been fine since. I am extremely happy that I switched over to the iPhone, just wish I did it earlier
    09-29-10 01:30 PM
    Don't hog all the Kool-Aid! I agree with you on your assessment of the Torch. I gave it a go a few times and I felt it was laggy, I mean it's not bad, but it's there, and overall it's just not smooth. I updated my friend's Torch to the newest firmware this past weekend (because he has no idea you could even do that), and although it was better, it wasn't by much. The guys on the 9800 section swear it's not laggy, but I think they're comparing it to other Blackberries or previous iPhones. Then again, a lot of those guys said it wasn't laggy with the original firmware. Speed perception is also subjective so some guys might not even notice it.
    09-29-10 02:27 PM
    Not to sound like a fanboy, which i probably am, but how could anybody doubt the iPhone's superiority over every phone out there today... the device is just insane
    09-29-10 02:28 PM
    Sold my Torch today. Had the phone for over 4 weeks. Was really liking the Torch. Came from a 9700 which I only had for 2 months and iPhone 3G which I had for 2 years. Something came over me and I decided to pick up an iPhone 4 to try out. After a few hours with the iphone 4 I decided to hook up my Torch again cause I miss the BB. After a couple of days I decided to try the iPhone again. This went back and forth for over a week. Finally decided to give it a full go on the iPhone once and for all cause the screen, speed and battery life was great compared to the Torch. After a full few days with the iPhone I was hooked. I turned on the Torch last night to just go browsing with WiFi and the thing just couldn't compare. After already being used to how crisp and amazing the Retina screen and blazing fast the Web Browsing is on the iPhone I couldn't go back to BB. I never thought the Torch was laggy even with .246 on but once going to a higher end phone, Yes the Torch feels very laggy compared to the iPhone 4. I had a few dropped calls with the iPhone the first 2 days but everything has been fine since. I am extremely happy that I switched over to the iPhone, just wish I did it earlier
    This is exactly how I felt about the Torch after a good week with the device. I liked the keyboard and the nofitication of a new message, but everything else left alot to be desired. Paid a premium to come back to the iPhone 4, but it was worth in my eyes.
    09-29-10 03:00 PM
    One of my buddies went from a 3Gs to a new Torch. He used it for 3 days, took it back to AT&T and swapped it for an i4. And he was a hardcore Berry user, like so many if us. Now he swears by the i4.
    09-29-10 04:04 PM
    This is exactly how I felt about the Torch after a good week with the device. I liked the keyboard and the nofitication of a new message, but everything else left alot to be desired. Paid a premium to come back to the iPhone 4, but it was worth in my eyes.
    Our stories seem very similar. I too upgraded to an iPhone 4 and then foolishly traded it in for the torch. What a mistake that was! It cost me a premium in the end, but I sold my torch and purchased an iPhone 4. There is no comparison to the iPhone. The torch was a turd. And that is coming from someone who has owned nothing but blackberries dating back to the 8700.

Those torch guys are still living on it being the best blackberry ever! Of course it is! Lol! It's the newest and it still pails in comparison to other alternatives. Blackberry supporters always talk emails, which is fine, but I haven't missed a beat with email on the iPhone.

I can appreciate the notifications and blinky lights, considering that's all I really miss from bb.
    09-29-10 09:35 PM
    I think that the iPhone 4 is definitely better with the hardware. It is the most solid device I have ever held. The gaming on the iPhone is tops as well if you like doing that. But I prefer the Torch for everything else. I agree with the above posters, the iPhone is definitely faster and smoother. But it feels like it is lacking with the OS. I would have a hard time choosing an iPhone over a Torch if I had the choice. Incidentally, the OP mentioned battery life. How is the battery life on the iPhone 4 compared to the 9800 and 9700?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-10 09:58 PM
    How is the battery life on the iPhone 4 compared to the 9800 and 9700?

I'd say it's right there with them if a hair shorter. With the iPhone 4 I don't have to remember to charge my phone at night.
    09-30-10 11:00 PM
    How is the battery life on the iPhone 4 compared to the 9800 and 9700?

Both anecdotal evidence and independent testing have confirmed the i4 battery like to be better than the 9800. There haven't been tests done against the 9700, but anecdotal evidence seems to indicate it's less. Somewhere between 9700 and 9800 would be a fair estimate.
    09-30-10 11:05 PM
    I'd say it's right there with them if a hair shorter. With the iPhone 4 I don't have to remember to charge my phone at night.
    Really? That's surprising. Apple must have really improved the battery life of the iPhone since I had the 3GS a year ago. I couldn't make it through the work day without charging it at some point. That's impressive that its battery life is comparable to a BlackBerry smartphone when it comes to battery life.

10-01-10 05:12 AM
    Battery life is very good for the specs of the iphone 4. I am getting about 8 hrs worth of usage on a single charge on it plus the 25-40 hrs worth of standby depending on the actual usage that day. I easily get through the day on a single charge. I unplug at 7am and with the phone calls, lots of internet browsing, emails, bluetooth streaming music, games etc I usually have 20%-30% by 10pm. I then sometimes drain it on purpose to get a full cycle.
    10-01-10 05:27 AM
    Battery life is very good for the specs of the iphone 4. I am getting about 8 hrs worth of usage on a single charge on it plus the 25-40 hrs worth of standby depending on the actual usage that day. I easily get through the day on a single charge. I unplug at 7am and with the phone calls, lots of internet browsing, emails, bluetooth streaming music, games etc I usually have 20%-30% by 10pm. I then sometimes drain it on purpose to get a full cycle.
    Wow. That is BlackBerry-like battery life. For 15 hours of use, I tend to have 50-75 percent left on one charge. But that with my Bold that has the best battery life probably of any smartphone. I am really impressed with the iPhone. With a pure touchscreen device with all the features it has, that's really good battery performance.

10-01-10 05:38 AM
    i think i have the perfect set up.. and this is my opinion.
    Blackberry Torch + ipod Touch.
    i enjoy a blackberry, the retina display, face time, all those apps that i bought from itunes..

and i carry a lot of devices anyway..
    i also have a BB curve that was issued by uncle SAM
    10-01-10 06:43 AM
    Couple thoughts. First, battery life will be very dependent on usage and how good a signal you have. So it's tough to compare results other people here get and have any meaningful info; if one person rarely does much but phone calls and lives/works close to cell towers their experience will be vastly different from someone who plays lots of games or videos or such and lives in a fringe reception area.

With my BB9700 I could easily not bother charging it for two or three days at a time and have no danger of a low battery. I also didn't really do anything with it; web browsing sucked, games were lame at best, and there just wasn't a lot to hold my attention so it didn't see a lot of time out of the holster.

With my iphone4 I plug it into the charger at bedtime every night and rarely do I need to charge it during the day. I probably could skip every other night, but no point since it's so easy to just plug into the cable on my home office desk. The only times I need to charge it during the day are when I've spent a little too much time doing stuff I never really did on the BB9700. If you do video, games, etc. you'll chew up the battery on anything.
    10-01-10 08:59 AM
    The above poster is correct. It is dependent upon usage and what kind of usage. If you are watching videos and playing games constantly, you will eat up your battery. I don't really do any of those things no matter what type of phone I have. But it is good to know that the battery life of the iPhone 4 is much improved over other iPhone models.

10-01-10 09:07 AM
    The battery life on the i4 is approximately 50% better than on the 3GS. Here's a couple of links to thorough battery tests against some other smartphones including Torch.

Apple's iPhone 4: Thoroughly Reviewed - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

BlackBerry Torch 9800 Review: Keeping RIM's Flame Alive - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 10-01-10 at 09:51 AM.
    10-01-10 09:47 AM
    Hello, let me know if you want to get rid of the torch(if you still have it). So far I am not impressed with the ip4. I have it about two weeks and already had to return it for a new one.
    10-02-10 09:26 AM
    I loved my Blackberry Bold 9000. The keyboard was great. Apps were so so (FB & Twitter) I used most. But I switched to the iPhone 4. Even though my BB Bold never went over 200mb, I had to get the unlimited data on the iPhone 4. The ease of placing my phone on my desk and lightly touch apps is amazing on the iphone 4. I can tap for emails, tap for password finder, tap for stock prices. Everything is just really easy, while on the BB I had to pick it up and press and scroll with that ball. Texting did take a while to get use to. Now I can text as fast as I did on the BB. The software is amazing at correcting your typos as you type on the glass screen. The kool-aid really is sweet!!
    10-02-10 10:33 AM
    I agreed. The ease of use is definitely a feature I enjoy. I do miss my blobby lights and probably do miss my keyboard at times, but the phone has so many things that it does, that I'm comfortable in making some concessions in order to use it.

I have never been an app guy; if I had to the up my netflix app or words with friends, o would feel sad. I get my email quickly and use the phone to manage 1000 volunteers and my personal life. The iPhone has come a long way and I believer strongly that if there's a blinky lift and keyboard, that more bb users would switch in a heart beat.

Im. Curious to see apples next release of the iPhone. Here's to hoping for a blinky light
    10-02-10 11:34 AM
    How is the reception on the iphone 4 in your experience, OP, compared to the torch? Is it on par with the blackberry (if you get the bumper/case)?
    10-02-10 12:08 PM
    How is the reception on the iphone 4 in your experience, OP, compared to the torch? Is it on par with the blackberry (if you get the bumper/case)?
    I had forgotten about the attenuation problem. That's a really good excuse not to get the iPhone 4.

10-02-10 12:13 PM
    Reception is pretty comparable. Yes I had a 3 dropped calls in the first 2 days I had the iPhone. Had only 1 on the Torch in the month I had it. I have not had a dropped call since on my iPhone. Maybe it was a very bad reception area. I used the phone for a few days without a case since the phone is nice and sleek but I did drop my Torch onthe ground without a case and chipped the bezel. So I decided I did need a case for the iPhone. At my work where I would use my phone the most I would get 4-5 bars onthe Torch and always 4 on the iPhone. Call quality seems the same and both were exact same with my Jawbone Icon.
    10-02-10 01:55 PM
    There are some people who have problems with the antenna death grip thing. I believe most of them are in fringe reception areas. If you're in a good reception area, even a two handed death grip won't drop a call. I carry my i4 without a case and since I've had it, I think I dropped 2 calls.

When I had a 3GS, I used to drop calls daily. Sometime in June-July, AT&T completed some upgrades in my area and my dropped calls tapered off by a lot. By then end of July, I wasn't dropping any. That's just to illustrate it's not always the phone, it could also be the network. I live/work right outside the NY metro area and I'm sure there's always a lot of network congestion. Last year, anytime I was near Giants Stadium on Sundays during games, I would automatically drop calls and it didn't matter what phone I was using.
    10-02-10 02:39 PM
    I loved my Blackberry Bold 9000. The keyboard was great. Apps were so so (FB & Twitter) I used most. But I switched to the iPhone 4. Even though my BB Bold never went over 200mb, I had to get the unlimited data on the iPhone 4. The ease of placing my phone on my desk and lightly touch apps is amazing on the iphone 4. I can tap for emails, tap for password finder, tap for stock prices. Everything is just really easy, while on the BB I had to pick it up and press and scroll with that ball. Texting did take a while to get use to. Now I can text as fast as I did on the BB. The software is amazing at correcting your typos as you type on the glass screen. The kool-aid really is sweet!!
    I know what you mean about the predictive type. It is one of the best that I have seen on a phone. But the thing is, I don't need predictive type on my BlackBerry smartphone, because the keyboard is so good. Not trying to get into a BlackBerry is better than the iPhone war. Just saying that BBs don't need predictive type because the keyboard is that good even though it is a feature offered on the device as well. but I can appreciate how managing things on your phone's screen is made easier with the touchscreen of the iPhone 4. I'm glad they flattened the back out so that you could type while it is placed on a desk.

10-02-10 03:10 PM
    There are some people who have problems with the antenna death grip thing. I believe most of them are in fringe reception areas. If you're in a good reception area, even a two handed death grip won't drop a call. I carry my i4 without a case and since I've had it, I think I dropped 2 calls.

When I had a 3GS, I used to drop calls daily. Sometime in June-July, AT&T completed some upgrades in my area and my dropped calls tapered off by a lot. By then end of July, I wasn't dropping any. That's just to illustrate it's not always the phone, it could also be the network. I live/work right outside the NY metro area and I'm sure there's always a lot of network congestion. Last year, anytime I was near Giants Stadium on Sundays during games, I would automatically drop calls and it didn't matter what phone I was using.
    I have also noticed that the reception in my area has gotten a lot better. I get full bars at home and at work, which wasn't the case about two years ago. I had read somewhere that AT&T was spending a lot of money putting up towers everywhere. I guess its true because the reception here is perfect. I haven't had a dropped call yet in about three weeks since I have been back with them.

10-02-10 03:14 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD