Origianlly posted at Redmond pie.

Using Spirit, you can jailbreak (not unlock) all iPhone’s (iPhone (Edge), iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS) and iPod touches (iPod touch 2G and 3G) running on the firmware version 3.1.3/3.1.2, and iPad and iPad 3G on firmware 3.2 – untethered.

Note for iPhone 3G and 3GS Unlockers: Do NOT upgrade to the stock iPhone 3.1.3 if you you want to keep your unlock as doing so will result in upgrade of your baseband, which will make it almost impossible for you to unlock. This is strictly for those who are either on official supported carrier like AT&T, or have already upgraded to 3.1.3 and are stuck with it.

IMPORTANT: Make sure that you have your SHSH files saved. You can jailbreak without saving SHSH files but you wont be safe once Apple patches the exploit used by Spirit. Follow the instructions posted here Save SHSH Blobs (ECID SHSH) of iPhone 3.1.3 and iPad 3.2 | Redmond Pie to save your SHSH blobs.

The following guide will help you jailbreak iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS (all versions) untethered on the latest iPhone OS 3.1.3.

Step 1: Download and install the latest version of iTunes

Step 2: You will need to be on the official iPhone 3.1.2, or iPhone 3.1.3 firmware on your iPhone.

Step 3: Download Spirit for Windows or Mac (download link at the end of the post).

Step 4: Run “Spirit” and then Click on “Jailbreak”:

Note for Windows 7/Vista Users (OS X users should skip to Step 5): Change the “Compatibility mode” to “Windows 98 / Windows Me” by right clicking on “Spirit.exe”, and then click on “Properties”. This can be seen in the screenshot below. [Thanks to xeon82 for this tip via twitter]

Also check: “Run this program as an administrator” option on the same window.

Step 5: Let the app do its thing and wait for the app to show “Jailbreak Complete!” message. At this point, wait for the iPhone to automatically reboot.

Step 6: Voila! You should now have a fully jailbroken iPhone 3G/3GS running on firmware 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 – Untethered !.
    Disclaimer: This guide is for testing & educational purposes only. I’m not responsible for any loss of important data or malfunctioning of your iPhone

I know it says it above but just in case you were excited and didnt read it then read the red print. It is important to note here that Spirit wont unlock your phone. It is a jailbreaking tool only that will only work on devices which are activated via iTunes. So if you rely on an unlock, DO NOT upgrade to stock firmware or you’ll be stuck. Unlock for iPhone 3.1.3 on 05.12.01 baseband wont be out before the next iPhone hit the shelves. And that wont be before June/July of this year. So in short unless you are on AT&T then dont use this.
    Complaints I have read about this jailbreak so far.
    #1 Spirit Wipes your Camera Roll for some reason, and iTunes backups don't seem to restore: Hasnt happened to everyone but just a fair warning BACKUP YOUR PHOTOS UPDATE:new release of spirit jailbreak fixes this issue, d/l links below.
    #2 C0000022 or c0000135, jb failed error on windows 7: Run in win 98 compatibility mode as administrator or try another computer
    #3 "spirit requires iTunes 9 to function. please install a correct version of iTunes then run spirit again." keeps coming up when you are already using the latest itunes.: The only solution I have seen so far is to use a different computer sorry
    #4 My anti virus said it was a trojanMany antivirus programs detect stuff like jailbreaks as virii, for example, blackra1n is also detected: the file is fine.)

Download iTunes 9.1.1 for Windows and Mac | Redmond Pie Itunes 9.1.1
    http://spiritjb.com/win Spirit for Windows
    http://spiritjb.com/macSpirit for OS X
    Last edited by harrison0550; 05-04-10 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Updated download links
    05-02-10 11:41 PM
    Thanks for the post. I was a bit saddened when it wiped out my pictures from the camera roll. But the jailbreak was worth it.
    05-03-10 02:11 AM
    Thanks for the post. I was a bit saddened when it wiped out my pictures from the camera roll. But the jailbreak was worth it.
    Yea I knew some folks would be so thats why I added the main complaints of this jailbreak in blue above. Just a quick warning to make sure everyone backs everything up first.
    This has worked for me in the past with camera roll issues:

Download ifunbox from here: http://i-funbox.com/download/ifunbox_en.zip

1. Connected iPhone to computer and open ifunbox "or whatever iphone browser you have" and browse to /var/mobile/Media/DCIM/100APPLE/ make a backup of all your pictures.
    2. Browse to /var/mobile/Media
    3. Delete the DCIM folder (make sure you have a backup of all pics)
    4. Now exit ifunbox, and launch the camera app. Take a new picture and open Camera Roll.
    It may crash a couple of times. That's because it is constructing a new DCIM directory with all of the default files and settings.
    5. Open ifunbox back up and copy all your old pics back into the DCIM directory where the new photo you just took is.
    Voila! all pictures should now be back in the camera roll working fine. This works the same for those of you that have gotten that dreaded black camera roll bug. If all of your pictures were already backed up in itunes then step 5 will be just to sync your phone in itunes.

Also just a couple quick points for those who did not read everything above:
    Spirit is an untethered jailbreak, Spirit is not a carrier unlock. If you currently are using a tethered jailbreak, you have to restore to use Spirit.
    05-03-10 03:53 AM
    I jailbroke my phone this morning with spirit.
    Now I can't use any jailbroke apps. They won't sync.
    I think it's cos im using itunes 9.1.
    05-03-10 07:22 AM
    A regular 'Sync to iTunes' back up did not work for me. I lost everything on my camera roll.

Back up your photos.
    05-03-10 07:35 AM
    A regular 'Sync to iTunes' back up did not work for me. I lost everything on my camera roll.

Back up your photos.
    If I find a better solution than the one I posted above I will update this post.

Ive also seen a lot of post here and on other forums saying spirit is down and somebody has uploaded it to their host and is sending it out that way. All I know is the direct links I posted above work fine for me I would suggest using them first. I just downloaded the same file 6 times in a row so the links above are not down.
    05-03-10 11:55 AM
    ...nicely done!
    05-03-10 12:58 PM
    Update: The all-in-one untethered jailbreak tool, which was released yesterday has been updated. An issue which was reported earlier where it deleted all the saved photos on the device once the jailbreak was complete has been fixed. This update to Spirit resolves error code c0000005 which some Windows users were facing. The download links above have been updated.
    05-04-10 12:46 AM
    When I try to run spirit, a message pops up that says I need to be on itunes 9. I Have already updated to the newest version of itunes. Any Suggestions?
    05-04-10 12:05 PM
    I jailbroke my husband IPhone 3G but none of the themes or any of the apps in Cydia will work! Any suggestions?
    05-04-10 12:22 PM
    i jailbroke my husband iphone 3g but none of the themes or any of the apps in cydia will work! Any suggestions?

Nevamind i got it!!!
    05-04-10 01:09 PM
    When I try to run spirit, a message pops up that says I need to be on itunes 9. I Have already updated to the newest version of itunes. Any Suggestions?
    Nevermind, I figured it out!
    05-04-10 01:59 PM
    I just love having a jailbroken Iphone.
    05-05-10 03:16 AM
    Nevamind i got it!!!
    Nevermind, I figured it out!
    Guys could you elaborate on "I got it" and "I figured it out" so that other users who may be having the same problem can benefit from it. I will be more than happy to update the thread to reflect solutions found by you guys. Thanks. Oh and please dont think it's not worth it to explain because something you may think is ridiculously simple has given hundreds of other users the same problem, I promise. Thanks again guys and enjoy your jailbreak.
    05-05-10 11:28 PM
    Couldn't get this to work period on a old laptop running Windows XP but worked like a charm on a Macbook Pro
    05-06-10 12:43 AM
    Guys could you elaborate on "I got it" and "I figured it out" so that other users who may be having the same problem can benefit from it. I will be more than happy to update the thread to reflect solutions found by you guys. Thanks. Oh and please dont think it's not worth it to explain because something you may think is ridiculously simple has given hundreds of other users the same problem, I promise. Thanks again guys and enjoy your jailbreak.
    I'm running XP professional and my mistake was that I was checking the box for compatibility mode and selecting windows 98/ me. I was trying to run spirit and getting a message saying that I wasn't on the latest version of itunes (when I was). As soon as I unchecked the box for compatibility mode, it worked like a charm. Bottom line is that I should have read the instructions better since I am not on windows 7/Vista. Guess i was too exited for the JB, but def user error on my part.
    05-06-10 11:34 AM
    I have never JB my iphone before, and am thinking about doing it when i get home... I have 2 questions: 1. is it really as simple as everyone makes it out to be? 2. What exactly can you change on the iPhone once it is JB?

I have read a few places on what it is capable of but i doesnt really give much detail. ie. found some where where it says you can alter the SMS dislay.. alter it in what way?

Sorry that these questions might be beginner questions i am just trying to see if it is really worth trying to JB my iPhone.. thx
    05-06-10 02:58 PM
    I have never JB my iphone before, and am thinking about doing it when i get home... I have 2 questions: 1. is it really as simple as everyone makes it out to be? 2. What exactly can you change on the iPhone once it is JB?

I have read a few places on what it is capable of but i doesnt really give much detail. ie. found some where where it says you can alter the SMS dislay.. alter it in what way?

Sorry that these questions might be beginner questions i am just trying to see if it is really worth trying to JB my iPhone.. thx
    This was my first time as well and it was super simple. What you get ou tod it is now you can run different themes and wallpapers and also download new apps that you cant in the app store
    05-06-10 06:02 PM

Back up your photos.
    I put up a brief tut as to how to get your photos back if you at the very least had a recent backup of all your pics in tunes. Good Luck! http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/rec...lbreak-464933/
    05-06-10 10:24 PM
    This was my first time as well and it was super simple. What you get ou tod it is now you can run different themes and wallpapers and also download new apps that you cant in the app store
    Thanks for the response.. I am still debating on whether or not i am going to do it. I am usually pretty hard on my devices and dont want to have an issue with it and then Apple tell me that i voided the warrenty.. Difficult dicission! Is it worth JB my iPhone or not? Are there really that many great apps that arent already on the app store, and as for themes are they all that great? Thanks for the help.
    05-07-10 12:00 PM
    Thanks for the response.. I am still debating on whether or not i am going to do it. I am usually pretty hard on my devices and dont want to have an issue with it and then Apple tell me that i voided the warrenty.. Difficult dicission! Is it worth JB my iPhone or not? Are there really that many great apps that arent already on the app store, and as for themes are they all that great? Thanks for the help.
    Honestly if I had to use my iphone without the jailbreak I would go back to my blackberry in a heartbeat. For me its not all about the apps, I actually only have 2 screens of apps on my iphone. The jailbreak for me is being able to customize the phone to suite your individual needs and get rid off things you dont use. As far as the warranty goes you can always restore the iphone back to an official release in itunes before you take it in for service or if its to damaged to even turn on then there is no way they can tell if its been jailbroken so I wouldnt worry about that. Its up to you but IMO an iphone without a jailbreak isnt worth having. Yes themes are awesome period! My advice is back everything on your iphone up first, read ALL of the directions above and go for it. If its not for you then just restore back to stock apple OS in itunes and recover all contacts and data form the backup you made. The time it took me to type that you could have already tried it I say got for it.
    05-07-10 01:19 PM
    how long does a restart take? or supposed to take?
    05-10-10 06:08 PM
    need jailbreak for the os 4!
    There are currently a few ios4 jailbreaks floating around but there are still way to many bugs and glitches for me to post a solid guide on any of them. I have tried a couple and so far have experienced.............

SBSettings not working
    mywi not working
    backgrounder not working
    random crashes
    boot loop
    utilities folder disappearing

Also my daily use iphone is an unlocked iphone and I do depend on an unlock so I keep pretty good track of whats going on with the unlocks out there as well. Currently as of this posting Blacksn0w RC2 Unlock for iOS 4.0 is Released however I have not made a guide for it either do to the fact that you would have had to maintain your baseband at 5.11.07 to be able to use it. So as of now there is still nothing that will unlock 5.12 or jailbreak ios4 without issues or very strict prerequisites. As soon as there is I will put up a guide once I have tested it.
    06-15-10 03:52 AM
    i am getting an iPhone4 once it comes in from my presale order..... i will be a noobie at this too (currently a BB 8330 user).... so i am sorry in advance LOL

I will keep an eye out for a iP4 jb post
    06-16-10 09:53 PM
    All

I just got the 3GS and have never Jail Broke an iphone before, and i am thinking about doing it next week... I have 2 questions:

1. what is the diffidence between having it unlock vs JB
    2. Once I JB it can use it on my Tmobile account by adding the Sim card or does it need to be unlock

06-18-10 01:22 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD