Thanks for the reply. I was sure I would lose my JB after upgrading my OS. I was wondering if I could upgrade straight to 4.2.1 from 4.0, or if I had to apply the earlier upgrades first.
    My apologies, I misunderstood. What Vynn said will have you on the right track-good luck!
    02-05-11 03:56 PM
    My apologies, I misunderstood. What Vynn said will have you on the right track-good luck!
    No problem. Thanks anyway
    02-05-11 07:09 PM
    Your procedure would be..
    1. Backup using iTunes.
    2. Restore it to iOS 4.2.1
    3. Run GP and jailbreak. **Note. You might see errors during jailbreaking. Just repeat the step.
    4. Run loader to download cydia. **Note. The downloading will be VERY ULTIMATELY slow, due to the overload of servers. You can choose to use redsnow to install cydia if you want. Google for which RC to use. RC6 if I'm not wrong.
    5. Restore from backup.

There you go.

Optional steps. Backup your cydia apps. Google aptbackup or pkgbackup.
    Thanks, vynn. So are you saying that after I do the backup. When I restore, it will automatically upgrade me to 4.2.1? Like I said, I'm still running 4.0 right now. Or should I select the upgrade option after the backup?
    02-05-11 07:14 PM
    Windows version is now out from Greenpoison. Go get it guys
    Shodan775 and LazyStarGazer like this.
    02-05-11 08:26 PM

here is a link if you can't seem to get it:
    Download GreenPois0n RC5 for Windows to Jailbreak ios 4.2.1 iphone 4/3GS , ipad and ipod Touch
    02-05-11 08:43 PM
    Thanks for the news! I had a feeling it might be coming soon, so I used tinyumbrella this afternoon to save my blobs, and upgraded from 4.1 to 4.2.1 as well.
    02-06-11 01:17 AM
    I've done my backup thru iTunes and now I'm ready to upgrade from 4.0 to 4.2.1. My question is, will I get my old emails and email accounts back, and my purchased iTunes apps?

Thanks in advance.
    02-06-11 08:13 AM
    I was happy to see this post when I came home last night, as I had gotten myself prepared yesterday afternoon.

It hung up the first time, so I hit 'Quit' and tried again.
    Worked great the second time.
    Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 02-06-11 at 09:16 AM.
    02-06-11 09:09 AM
    Everything worked out just great! I upgraded to 4.2.1, then did the JB thing. The only small problem I had was when trying to upgrade through iTunes. The download took about 35 minutes and after that it would time out trying to connect to apple's servers. I tried 4 times, maybe they were overloaded. So, I just downloaded the .ipsw file from the net and then installed it from iTunes. This worked perfecftly. Then I did my restore, then the JB. That went without a hitch. Also, thank God for the app, pkgbackup. It backed up my Cydia apps, before I upgraded, then after the JB it re-installed just about everyone of them
    02-06-11 04:47 PM
    iphone's 4.3 upgrade supposed to be coming very soon (within days), I hope the greenposion JB is compatible, but I think it is.
    02-06-11 05:26 PM
    I did mine on windows this morning and all is fine. It's the first time I've jailbroken an iPhone and I'm impressed at how smoothly it went. I was already on 4.2.1 so just ran GP all is good :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-11 05:34 PM
    I did mine a couple of hours ago, went smoothly and everything works great. SWEET!!!
    02-06-11 06:03 PM
    Greenpoison has now released untethered Jailbreak for 4.2.1

GreenPois0n

Looks like only Mac users for now

hey, thnx for the news, but could u plz tell me if that will unlock it as well? so i could use it with t-mobile?

because just jail-breaking and not unlocking is just not worth it.
    02-06-11 08:06 PM
    hey, thnx for the news, but could u plz tell me if that will unlock it as well? so i could use it with t-mobile?

because just jail-breaking and not unlocking is just not worth it.
    I believe after you jailbreak, you can unlock with Ultrasn0w.
    Desiguy100 likes this.
    02-06-11 08:25 PM
    I believe after you jailbreak, you can unlock with Ultrasn0w.

thnx, but i hope someone can tell me for sure!!

BTW:: Great news!!!!!

GreenPois0n Untethered Jailbreak for iOS 4.2.1 Released for Windows

02-06-11 08:55 PM
    Depends on your baseband.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-11 09:39 PM
    I jailbreaked and unlocked my phone because I am on tmo. I am on OS 4.02 5.13.04. Will I be able to upgrade the OS? Do I have to create custom firmware? It was so easy to jailbreak using the slide to jailbreak and then downloaded the unlock...wonder if the upgrade process is way more complicated.
    02-07-11 01:15 AM
    thnx, but i hope someone can tell me for sure!!

BTW:: Great news!!!!!

Here's a link to a post. I hope this helps.
    Jailbreak iPhone 3GS 4.2.1 & iPhone 4 Untethered with PwnageTool and Unlock | Redmond Pie
    02-07-11 04:40 AM
    Thanks, vynn. So are you saying that after I do the backup. When I restore, it will automatically upgrade me to 4.2.1? Like I said, I'm still running 4.0 right now. Or should I select the upgrade option after the backup?
    There are a few things to prepare before you jailbreak. You will need the original iOS4.2.1 firmware.

After you backup, you are ready to jailbreak. (Backup only applies to the iTunes App, contacts, mail, etc etc. It doesnt apply to Cydia apps. For Cydia Apps, you will need AptBackUp or PkgBackUp from Cydia. Paid apps)

Connect your iDevice, Option + click on Restore. Select the iOS4.2.1 firmware you downloaded. If you are getting error 1013, then you need to do something about your hosts file.

When you have upgraded your firmware, then you are ready to jailbreak!
    02-07-11 04:50 AM
    There are a few things to prepare before you jailbreak. You will need the original iOS4.2.1 firmware.

After you backup, you are ready to jailbreak. (Backup only applies to the iTunes App, contacts, mail, etc etc. It doesnt apply to Cydia apps. For Cydia Apps, you will need AptBackUp or PkgBackUp from Cydia. Paid apps)

Connect your iDevice, Option + click on Restore. Select the iOS4.2.1 firmware you downloaded. If you are getting error 1013, then you need to do something about your hosts file.

When you have upgraded your firmware, then you are ready to jailbreak!
    Thanks again, Vynn. You must have missed post #34. I did just what you suggested and it worked out just fine. The app, PkgbackUP was a life saver.
    02-07-11 06:32 AM
    Thanks again, Vynn. You must have missed post #34. I did just what you suggested and it worked out just fine. The app, PkgbackUP was a life saver.
    Yeah, I did. I was at the first page when i clicked on the quote button. Glad you made it..
    jayman2 likes this.
    02-07-11 02:44 PM
    can anyone plz tell me a way to jailbreak 4.2 iphone 4???

i already tried the dev team way. it goes into dfu successfully, and also restarted it, but after restarting, it goes back to showing that usb cable and itunes ask to put put valid sim card in it.

so it's not jailbreak yet.
    Last edited by Desiguy100; 02-07-11 at 09:23 PM.
    02-07-11 08:39 PM
    i have iphone 4 now with 4.2 OS and firmware is 03.10.01.

it's already jailbreak, BUT can i unlock it now??
    02-08-11 11:13 PM

I read that you can unlock with Ultrasn0w. Maybe someone else can confirm this.
    02-09-11 05:55 AM

No unlock for that Baseband yet. Only can unlock 1.59.00 right now
    Desiguy100 likes this.
    02-09-11 09:37 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD