08-11-09 08:32 AM
38 12
tools
    It isn't all fun & games.

Yes, I have a ton of phones. Many haven't been released yet. Many are tagged as "Prototype" which means I can't give them, sell them, trade them, etc. They cannot be activated on regular accounts.

If I have a service problem with one of the proto accounts, I cannot call into 611, as they cannot see the accounts & wouldn't recognize the codes for them anyway.

I also have multiple lines of service on most carriers in the Western US. Yes, I have Sprint, AT&T, VZW & even Virgin/Helio.

My personal phones are on VZW, as are most of the business phones. I also have a personal phone on AT&T.

I pay for some of the personal phones. The rest I don't pay for.

I have to switch around, even to devices I do not like, because I have to log usage on each. Some are active for a week or two, some much longer. To accomplish some of this, I have to dial all sorts of numbers & log performance. It is incredible how many Dial-A-Prayer & sports-lines I call, just to log connection time. It is also a reason I spend a lot of time here & on other sites.

Some phones I get would really make you flip - the end of touchscreens is already being seen.

I have ramped up this end of my work, as I have been forced to reduce manual labor because of persistent medical issues - I am getting to be an old man, even though I still play ball with the kids & gr.andkids. So I don't get to run around as much checking construction sites & doing QC anymore.

In 2007, I personally logged 82k miles on my trucks - since I don't keep a vehicle beyond 30k miles, I was always getting new ones. This year, I am on track to do 25k miles, yet business has not dropped off. I just don't get around as much anymore. I have to delegate more & run with more of a hands-off approach.

So I do a lot in my workshop. I dissect devices, run heavy testing & generally subject myself to a lot of radio waves.

Imagine handing phones to nine kids, placing a conference call to all nine, and chatting with them for an hour. Some stay in the same room, some wander the neighborhood & some go across town. I then log the stats.

the part I probably enjoy most is logging signal activity and determining which phones have the most consistent or best performing radios. It is a lot of numbers, but I always enjoyed numbers & math. While others are burning up calculators, I do the math in my head - often faster.

My data uploads on what I find have hit 200GB for a month. It is a constant accounting run.

So it really isn't a phone nut's dream after the first hour - by then, it is work. It is also expensive - I have hugely obscene amounts of money tied up in test equipment and a lot of it hits obsolescence quickly.

The kids/grandkids help with some of the calling activity, but a number of devices I cannot let out of my sight or out in the public eye.

But believe me, guys - the Omnia2 really is that good. I loaded a dev version of WinMo7 on one & in that guise, it could possibly outsell IPhone. In 6.5, or even 6.1, it seriously blows Storm & anything else BlackBerry out of the water. Now if only I likes touchscreens - but hey, that's what accessory keyboards & docks are for, right?

For most people I know, what I do is boring - then again, I don't surround myself with phone nuts - I prefer spending time with family, good friends, at church & with successful people, most of whom come to me for phone advice & preface their request with "I don't want fancy crap - just tell me what does what I want it to do!" And when they ask me what the deal is with BlackBerry popularity, I tell them it is all hype - there are better phones out there. Most any phone makes for a better voice device & most smartphones are better Internet/data devices.
    Ever seen an article of clothing in the store & wondered why it was so expensive? You looked closer & noticed the brand name & attributed the cost to the brand - "you're paying for the label" is something you might tell yourself. I mean, are Lucky jeans better than Levi? I don't think so, but people are willing to pay extra for that name, even though functionally, Levi or Wrangler or whatever is as good or better. Lucky jeans are a fad, but some people think they are better, just because of that label. So it is with BlackBerry. It is the label. If I walked into a school & told the teens that Lucky jeans (or whatever trendy label is current) were overrated and overpriced, I'd be hit with boos, catcalls & spitwads. Much like what I get when I come here saying BlackBerry is overrated junk.

In jeans, I buy what I like & don't pay attention to the label. In phones, I prefer what works, regardless of the label.

I tried to give RIM the benefit of the doubt, because they made their phones in North America. But Samsung, HTC & Nokia all employ more Americans.

If WinMo is XBox

Then Palm is Playstation.

And IPhone is Wii.

BlackBerry is Atari 5200.

But I still like to switch on the Atari or N64 from time to time.

I enjoy playing with phones, too. But it is also work.

It is time to pour another Scotch & dig up another heater. See ya!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-09 10:40 PM
    Like the vast majority of your posts?
    I agree. He's prolly a disgruntled indirect posing as a VZW employee. Or at least I hope so. He makes us look bad.

The iphone has some good points. But its on ATT and i'd rather slam my head in the toilet seat 9 or 10 times before I repeat that experience again. I do work for VZW, so I am not exactly objective either.
    08-06-09 11:10 PM
    @ Twins

Just for the record, I wasnt booing, catcalling or flinging a spitwad at you. Fact is, I enjoy your posts, find your point of view interesting and appreciate your knowledge. The last thing I want to do is to run you off.

I owned the initial iPhone, at the same time I had a WinMo phone and soon after switched to a BB. There is no perfect device and I believe what you say about touchscreens. Blackberry may not be the perfect device, but it is highly functional and easy to use. I hate WinMo, as it is now, and get easily aggrivated when playing with the wifes Ozone. I wish I could see what youre currently testing, Im sure we would be jealous.

Enjoy your scotch, stay warm and keep enjoying the best parts of North America.
    Last edited by cenloe; 08-06-09 at 11:54 PM.
    08-06-09 11:45 PM
    So honestly Twins, how does one get in your line of work?

I've always been fascinated with R&D, QC, and sectors like that with tech. What's a good entry-level way to get in?
    08-07-09 12:21 AM
    So honestly Twins, how does one get in your line of work?

I've always been fascinated with R&D, QC, and sectors like that with tech. What's a good entry-level way to get in?
    Well, I kind of fell into it.

It helped that I spent the better part of three decades in the Bell System, ending with AT&T. Was forced into early retirement, like thousands of others. Had a friend who was a construction contractor for AT&T & joined his company as a consultant. I arranged for a heavily leveraged buyout of another contactor. During the period we were putting toe final touches on the acquisition, my friend became very ill & I took over, then put together some investors to buy him out - his medical bills were horrendous.

We took the company & shortly after, he died. It was the start of a very bad time in life, as within the next year, I lost a small son to a freak illness, and my wonderful angel of a wife & a daughter died in a car accident. So within the course of 13 months, I lost two children, my wife & one of the best friends I could ever hope for. I had my kids and my work as the only things that kept me from losing my mind.

I became very aggressive in business & branched out to include testing. A couple of engineer friends from the part of AT&T that became Lucent, noticed our setup & advised me to bid for a testing contract. We were low bidders - we actually underbid a bit too much, and didn't know if we'd remain solvent through it all, as we seriously underestimated the additional cost of equipment. But that contract gave us favorable status & we picked up another contract, then another.

Because we ended up working with a variety of manufacturers & suppliers, we managed an inside track with them & other telcos. It was just in the past few years, we started doing more than construction & network testing/analysis and got into small devices.

Our integrity & record keeping kept us in the running for contracts even when we weren't low-bidders. Now, we do a lot of work for independent labs who have contracted with telcos & manufacturers for analysis.

All in all, it took a lot of guts, a good credit rating, numerous contacts/friends/called favors, courage to bet seven-digit sums of money, a load of blessings from God and a huge helping of pure stupidity to get where I am now.

And even through all of that, the doctors are still pessimistic on my chances of being around for many more years. Some of it has been stress & some genetics. But, God willing, I will prove the doctors wrong - including a couple who are along for this extended vacation with me.

And maybe, just maybe, I'll get to climb a pole again, like I did when I was young - that is my long term goal right now. Short term is to be able to move for more than three hours at a time.

08-07-09 01:06 AM
    Damn.. My condolences on your losses. I doubt I would be able to survive that..

I almost lost my youngest daughter when she was 4 months old.. A simple cold turned into a raging viral infection. She actually "died" at one point, the doctors were able to rescuitate her. Thankfully, they told us after the fact, or I would have lost it..

Best wishes and health in the future, Twins..

08-07-09 01:15 AM

It helped that I spent the better part of three decades in the Bell System, ending with AT&T. Was forced into early retirement, like thousands of others. Had a friend who was a construction contractor for AT&T & joined his company as a consultant. I arranged for a heavily leveraged buyout of another contactor. During the period we were putting toe final touches on the acquisition, my friend became very ill & I took over, then put together some investors to buy him out - his medical bills were horrendous.

We took the company & shortly after, he died. It was the start of a very bad time in life, as within the next year, I lost a small son to a freak illness, and my wonderful angel of a wife & a daughter died in a car accident. So within the course of 13 months, I lost two children, my wife & one of the best friends I could ever hope for. I had my kids and my work as the only things that kept me from losing my mind.

I became very aggressive in business & branched out to include testing. A couple of engineer friends from the part of AT&T that became Lucent, noticed our setup & advised me to bid for a testing contract. We were low bidders - we actually underbid a bit too much, and didn't know if we'd remain solvent through it all, as we seriously underestimated the additional cost of equipment. But that contract gave us favorable status & we picked up another contract, then another.

Because we ended up working with a variety of manufacturers & suppliers, we managed an inside track with them & other telcos. It was just in the past few years, we started doing more than construction & network testing/analysis and got into small devices.

Our integrity & record keeping kept us in the running for contracts even when we weren't low-bidders. Now, we do a lot of work for independent labs who have contracted with telcos & manufacturers for analysis.

All in all, it took a lot of guts, a good credit rating, numerous contacts/friends/called favors, courage to bet seven-digit sums of money, a load of blessings from God and a huge helping of pure stupidity to get where I am now.

And even through all of that, the doctors are still pessimistic on my chances of being around for many more years. Some of it has been stress & some genetics. But, God willing, I will prove the doctors wrong - including a couple who are along for this extended vacation with me.

And maybe, just maybe, I'll get to climb a pole again, like I did when I was young - that is my long term goal right now. Short term is to be able to move for more than three hours at a time.

Wow, that last part feels like a fallen solider in battle who in long term will take down that last objective in the field when he was shot. I don't know -just a weird thought when I read that lol.
    Twins, sounds like you've gone through everything that is well anything. Losing a wife and especially children is something that nightmares all parents, and then a best friend to add to it -icing on the cake? What else could go wrong?

At least you have hopes, its quite some honor to hear that you still do, as many, and I even know a family member of mine who lost her husband who is now in depression (has been for almost 2 years now ) and were not sure if she will recover.
    --And yes, you will climb that pole again. Just to be sure, someone takes a picture of it, because that will have completed your goal .
    08-07-09 01:17 AM
    It isn't all fun & games.

Yes, I have a ton of phones. Many haven't been released yet. Many are tagged as "Prototype" which means I can't give them, sell them, trade them, etc. They cannot be activated on regular accounts.
    Well I guess that that dashes my chances of getting you to donate phones to the Jim from NW pa hates the SureType on this GD pearl and wants a new phone but can't afford a full retail device every 2 weeks like he wants foundation.

08-07-09 07:13 AM

OMG!

What a testimony! You have truly blessed me with your story of loss and risk, strength, and endurance.

It is wonderful to have people like you who are still keeping a positive attitude and acknowledging God as the one who has still shown you favor through it all.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I am blessed and humbled to have read that.

We complain so much about everything and are so quick to pass judgment on someone, but you never know what someone has been through or is dealing with.

WOW! I pray that God continues to keep you and strengthen you and I sure pray for the days when you'll be able to move for more than three hours and even more, I would love to be there to celebrate with you when you climb that pole! Be encouraged, and be blessed!
    08-07-09 09:45 AM
    Right on Twins. Im sorry for your loss, Im about to become a first time father to a baby girl and I cant imagine the pain of losing loved ones like you have. I dont know you, but I wish I did. Im positive your lost loved ones are very proud of you. Please keep writing, youre a wealth of knowledge and it seems your moral compass is pointed in the right direction. We here at Crackberry are certainly blessed to have your insight.
    08-07-09 10:20 AM
    Good to hear that you are still doing what you love Twins. I've been a father for a year in three weeks and I can't imagine what that would be like going through all that and coming out on the other side of the tunnel. I agree with cenloe I don't know you but I wish I did. If you weren't on crackberry I know a lot of questions would go unanswered. Thanks for all your posts/opinions/and knowledge.
    08-07-09 01:45 PM
    Great idea...
    you dont want a second phone but love the iPhone...
    get an iTouch.
    Same thing but with no phone. has wifi and all the capabilities... I think...
    but thats what I would do if I wanted to betray my pink curve.
    LOL
    Actually, that is only true to a point. If we're comparing the iPhone 3GS to the iPod Touch gen 2; the Touch can't touch (excuse the pun) the performance of the 3GS. The 3GS has both a faster CPU, and a faster graphics chip (GPU). There are already 3GS specific versions of some games appearing on App Store touting features such as advanced pixel shading, etc. For all devices up to and including the iPhone 3G, the iPod Touch gen 2 has the best performance out of all of them. But the 3GS changes the game (at least until iPod Touch gen 3)
    08-11-09 12:23 AM
    The new iPod Touch is supposed to have a mic, which leads me to ask-would we be able to use Google Voice on it via Wi-Fi? It seems unlikely to be able to receive calls, and Apple pulled the GV app. Maybe if it were jailbroken?

08-11-09 08:32 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD