This is an article that I read. Apparently the " nexus one " was the only phone google actually made. Guess the others are htc and run the google software so here's some of the article
    The Nexus One smartphone that Google Inc. designed and brought to market will soon be discontinued in the U.S., as missteps and weak demand foiled the Internet company's attempt to shake up the way wireless phones are distributed.

Google wouldn't say how many Nexus phones it has sold. But it says it has received its last shipment of Nexus One phones, which are touchscreen devices that carry Google's brand and are powered by Google's Android operating system. In May, Google said it would shutter its Web store selling the handset once supplies were exhausted.

Do you guys see any affect from this? Obivously as stated before with htc they should still be fine. But it looks like they will be sticking strictly to software and no more phones. That this was intreasting in light of the bad press that apple was getting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-10 06:36 PM
    A link to the article would be nice.

I don't think this is related to Apple at all. Don't know why it would be. The iPhone has it's own problems and isn't related to Google's phones at all.

The Nexus 1 failed because of the way they tried to sell them. If they would've offered the phone straight from a carrier store, with a nice discount with a plan, then I think we would be hearing about a Nexus 2. Google tried something new and innovative, like they always do, but this time they failed. They will be back with something.

No idea how this relates to Apple though. They put features on a device that aren't anything new to phones, but they market it as the best thing since sliced bread.
    07-19-10 06:51 PM
    I hope they sell the Nexus One through Best Buy or something.
    07-19-10 07:19 PM
    Google's problem is this with their OS. Before they can sell 1 million of one phone, 5 more Android phones are released and people lose their attention for the 1st phone.

Apple has that advantage of sorts- 1 phone a year. Everyone knows about it, everyone knows its coming, and its the only phone until next summer. With Android there's a similar phone on every carrier so people arent going to run and switch carriers to get one specific phone like an iphone. The sales are more spread out across the different carrier Android phones

Apple also has, undeniably, and MUCH better marketing scheme/department pushing their products.

For the Nexus, not putting it in carrier stores was the death of that phone. No exposure or hands on in real life, little sales. Very few "non-geeks" buy a phone without ever touching it or at least seeing it at least once in person. Its hard to sell a picture on a website.

Its was also just littered with issues with it, but people forget that it had more problems than the iphone 4 has or will ever have because it just wasnt popular enough for many to care. The iphone 4 is hardly as bad (or the worst smartphone made) as people make it out to be (mostly by people who dont even own the thing to begin with anyways).

What this means for Apple? Notta, the Nexus wasnt even a blip on their radar. And with more Android "superphones" coming out daily, the Nexus really means nothing in the bigger scheme of things.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 07-19-10 at 07:38 PM.
    07-19-10 07:26 PM
    HTC made the hardware for the Nexus one.

It failed because of the reasons listed above:

1. Poorly advertised
    2. Only sold unlocked and the only carrier you could get it on was tmobile at ridiculous plan prices for them. After all one of the benefits of t-mo is the prices on their services
    3. Only sold online. Most people don't just buy a phone without actually physically seeing it. That only works for a company like Apple because they have a loyal following and people trust them. Google not so much so that was a fail.
    4. Carriers released devices with similar specs that could be bought a subsidized price.

Google tried to sell a phone in the US the way that phones sell a lot overseas. It simply doesn't work like that here. Just ask Nokia. Nokia sells millions of phones overseas through that type of channel. But in the US people only buy their phones through their carrier.
    07-19-10 09:34 PM
    A link to the article would be nice.

I don't think this is related to Apple at all. Don't know why it would be. The iPhone has it's own problems and isn't related to Google's phones at all.

The Nexus 1 failed because of the way they tried to sell them. If they would've offered the phone straight from a carrier store, with a nice discount with a plan, then I think we would be hearing about a Nexus 2. Google tried something new and innovative, like they always do, but this time they failed. They will be back with something.

No idea how this relates to Apple though. They put features on a device that aren't anything new to phones, but they market it as the best thing since sliced bread.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704720004575377492771391462.html?r u=yahoo#mod=yahoo_hs
    There is the link I was just stating that google will no longer make it's own phones.I wasn't saying that apple was perfect, just that this didn't get covered. An google is apples biggest competitor how does this not appeal to apple?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-10 11:19 PM
    Arts, Entertainment News, Music, Film, Television, Opera & Ballet News at WSJ.com - WSJ.com

Google is Apple's biggest competitor in making phones (hardware)?!?!?
    Does this affect Google making software for HTC and Motorola phones?!?!?

I don't see how Google not making phones has anything to do with Apple. Google is concerned about making good software, even more so now. It's not any different now for Apple then it was before this article, they're still competing for software. I don't think Apple was ever worried about Google hardware. Everyone already knew that the Nexus 1 was a fail.
    Last edited by ridesno159; 07-19-10 at 11:34 PM.
    07-19-10 11:32 PM
    Arts, Entertainment News, Music, Film, Television, Opera & Ballet News at WSJ.com - WSJ.com

Google is Apple's biggest competitor in making phones (hardware)?!?!?
    Does this affect Google making software for HTC and Motorola phones?!?!?

I don't see how Google not making phones has anything to do with Apple. Google is concerned about making good software, even more so now. It's not any different now for Apple then it was before this article, they're still competing for software. I don't think Apple was ever worried about Google hardware. Everyone already knew that the Nexus 1 was a fail.
    Yeah, I guess I see where you are coming from. I was just posting the story because I thought it had relevance.
    07-19-10 11:41 PM
    Oh it's a good article and it's good you posted it, but it has nothing to do with Apple and should have been posted elsewhere. The title to the thread mentioned Apple, you posted it in the Apple Forum, but the article you linked us to never mentioned Apple once.
    07-19-10 11:46 PM
    The didn't even make the phone, they told HTC
    what they wanted and HTC built it. The biggest
    reason IMHO that it didn't sell was because no
    one trusted not being able to play with the N1
    prior to purchasing it.

I bet if they had them in the AT&T, T-mobile,
    BestBuy and other stores at least for show,
    a lot more people may have bought the device.

The discount was given to T-mobile and they
    still didn't sell, so I don't think that was a
    big factor.
    07-20-10 12:50 AM
    The only reason the nexus one failed was because it wasn't sold in stores, that's all.
    07-20-10 03:24 AM
    The didn't even make the phone, they told HTC
    what they wanted and HTC built it. The biggest
    reason IMHO that it didn't sell was because no
    one trusted not being able to play with the N1
    prior to purchasing it.

I bet if they had them in the AT&T, T-mobile,
    BestBuy and other stores at least for show,
    a lot more people may have bought the device.

The discount was given to T-mobile and they
    still didn't sell, so I don't think that was a
    big factor.
    Exactly. Not a lot of people are going to drop over 500 for a phone period, let alone one they can't play around with. And it's not like you could just stroll in a tmobile store and play with one either. Small carrier + online only sales + no advertising = fail. I still haven't seen one commercial about the phone. Only web and banner ads.
    07-20-10 11:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD