Even if it did fly, would Google be that stupid? They would lose
    a lot of marketshare to Bing/Yahoo if they did this. I don't think
    they are. They've probably thought about it, but I already saw
    that they already denied these claims.

Verizon and Google Deny Plans to Kill Net Neutrality | Maximum PC

Google, Verizon deny talks about Web pay tiers - msnbc.com

Google, Verizon Deny Talks to End Net Neutrality (But They Are Talking)

Yeah I agree but the net neutrality stuff doesn't say anything about them removing services from anything so I'm not sure how that would affect their market share. All it is saying is that they would pay verizon money to ensure their services are rendered faster on their network. This would surely damage their reputation as the proponent for "openess" and "net equality". They would be in direct contradiction of everything they supposedly stand for.

If the rumors had Apple doing this, there would be outrage all over the net. People don't understand, Google is not your friend and I don't understand why people think they are. None of these companies care about us. They only want our money. Android alread has a severely fragmented OS that causes varying user experiences across devices and with any kind of agreement with VZW, they would fragment it even more because a person's Android experience would be that much more different on another carrier.
    08-09-10 08:16 AM
    I think this will just stay rumor. Google makes money off of searches so it has a vested interest in allowing iPhone users to do Google searches.

Not to mention with jailbreaking pretty much a protected right, Google can start to take over the iPhone platform with its own services and they've been wanting to do that for a long time now.
    08-09-10 09:27 AM
    Well that's just talking about Google pulling youtube from the iPhone and not from AT&T and that was posted 2 months ago. Also, it's just google doing to Apple what Apple is doing to everyone else. Apple restricted google's admob and they really don't want anything on their platform that is a direct conflict of interest of their own products and services. So google would take the same stance by enhancing it's competitive advantage by saying we only want our services on our devices. Although I don't think it would happen, I understand it. But I don't see a credible source talking about it. I doubt google would do that because they'll hurt themselves and their reputation by restricting their stuff when they claim to be so "pro-open". I do however see them wanting an agreement with VZW to offer their services with faster data speeds. But this is nothing against AT&T.
    Restricting content on your platform is TOTALLY different than the content provider saying you cant have it.

Its like saying a stadium doesnt have to right to restrict outside food from hurting their bottom line, but you cant go there and them refuse to serve you if you want to eat stadium food. There's a huge distinction between the two.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 08-09-10 at 10:05 AM.
    08-09-10 10:02 AM
    Restricting content on your platform is TOTALLY different than the content provider saying you cant have it.

Its like saying a stadium doesnt have to right to restrict outside food from hurting their bottom line, but you cant go there and them refuse to serve you if you want to eat stadium food. There's a huge distinction between the two.
    I didn't say it wasn't but Apple wants to pick and choose which Google services can be on the iPhone. They won't allow google voice but they want YouTube to be apart of their devices which makes their device more appealing by having that app. Although I don't agree with any of the restrictions or whatever, I do understand them. I doubt google would do it because they'd lose a lot of revenue with all the iPhone users out there but at the same time I could understand it if they just wanted to be a pain in the arse. Apple wants to have everything their way and if someone wants to do the same, oh well. Doesn't bother me.
    08-09-10 10:53 AM
    I didn't say it wasn't but Apple wants to pick and choose which Google services can be on the iPhone. They won't allow google voice but they want YouTube to be apart of their devices which makes their device more appealing by having that app. Although I don't agree with any of the restrictions or whatever, I do understand them. I doubt google would do it because they'd lose a lot of revenue with all the iPhone users out there but at the same time I could understand it if they just wanted to be a pain in the arse. Apple wants to have everything their way and if someone wants to do the same, oh well. Doesn't bother me.
    To be fair I think Google Voice is 100% an ATT restriction and Apple couldnt care less. It doesnt hurt Apple's bottom line to have free texting and what not that Google Voice offers.
    08-09-10 11:34 AM
    To be fair I think Google Voice is 100% an ATT restriction and Apple couldnt care less. It doesnt hurt Apple's bottom line to have free texting and what not that Google Voice offers.
    I don't disagree but I can use google voice on my samsung captivate and obviously that's an Android phone so that's why you can use it there.

But like I said, I don't agree with any exclusivity with apps or devices. I wish everything was available on all carriers and devices but I do understand if someone wanted something restricted if they feel their proprietary software gives another company a competitive advantage over them. That's business. I don't like it, but I understand it. I would interested to see how Apple would feel about a genuine Safari browser on Android or blackberry. It's a good thing because people are using your program but a bad thing because that gives them less reason to switch to your platform. Who knows.
    08-09-10 12:22 PM
    I mean personally there are ways around an official app. Theres GV+ Mobile in Cydia, there are text apps like TextNow in the app store that sync flawlessly with Google Voice for Free texting.

At this point I really wouldnt care about an official iphone app because it probably wouldnt be all the great anyways. Look at maps, it hasnt really been updated in 2-3 years.
    08-09-10 12:47 PM
    Yeah, I am just interested to see what happens. I just think at this point Google/Apple are at ends with each other. I remember awhile ago I was reading this one article about Google and using as an example. Even Apple too with ATT.As far as business wise it's extremely dangerous to rely on a device, or software. Because if something more attractive to them comes along you run the risk of losing it. It just seems to me that things can and do go wrong in business all the time. So if Google and Verizon did join forces it wouldn't surprise me to see Apple do something drastic. This columnist was suggesting that even if Google didn't pull there stuff of the iPhone, that it would be in job's best interest to " Google " proof his iPhone. Perhaps that means jobs good brainstorm a... " iTube" to compete with YouTube, or maybe " iMaps ". All I am saying is that this may or may not be a good thing, frankly it may get the powers to be to look at the agreements. Even with Apple to only provide their phones to ATT, it's strange. Because other providers ( HTC, BlackBerry. ETC ) do have exclusive devices but they offer other exclusive devices to other carriers too.
    08-09-10 01:07 PM
    I mean personally there are ways around an official app. Theres GV+ Mobile in Cydia, there are text apps like TextNow in the app store that sync flawlessly with Google Voice for Free texting.

At this point I really wouldnt care about an official iphone app because it probably wouldnt be all the great anyways. Look at maps, it hasnt really been updated in 2-3 years.
    Yeah but that's besides the point. You're taking the google voice a little too far. That was just an example of Apple blocking something on their device. There are plenty others that Apple doesn't want on their device because of a competitve advantage and that's why there's always lawsuit of FCC filings. And it's not just Apple, it's everyone. So my whole point was saying that Apple isn't immune to someone wanted to restrict something on their device. I'm sure Apple doesn't want genuine Apple products on many other smartphone because that would give people a reason to not buy their device. Once again, do I like it? No. But I would certainly understand it. All of these companies want everything their way and sometimes another company will just be spiteful and this stuff goes into court for years. It's dumb but they do it all the time. So it's ok for Apple to say "we don't want your specific product or services on our device", but it's not ok for that same company to say "Ok, well we don't want any of our stuff on your device"? That's a bit hypocritical. Personally I don't care, I just wish everything was available everywhere for everyone instead of us having to always settle. But hey, what are you gonna do.
    08-09-10 03:57 PM
    Yeah, I am just interested to see what happens. I just think at this point Google/Apple are at ends with each other. I remember awhile ago I was reading this one article about Google and using as an example. Even Apple too with ATT.As far as business wise it's extremely dangerous to rely on a device, or software. Because if something more attractive to them comes along you run the risk of losing it. It just seems to me that things can and do go wrong in business all the time. So if Google and Verizon did join forces it wouldn't surprise me to see Apple do something drastic. This columnist was suggesting that even if Google didn't pull there stuff of the iPhone, that it would be in job's best interest to " Google " proof his iPhone. Perhaps that means jobs good brainstorm a... " iTube" to compete with YouTube, or maybe " iMaps ". All I am saying is that this may or may not be a good thing, frankly it may get the powers to be to look at the agreements. Even with Apple to only provide their phones to ATT, it's strange. Because other providers ( HTC, BlackBerry. ETC ) do have exclusive devices but they offer other exclusive devices to other carriers too.
    I think at the end of the day it's all silly. The iPhone will eventually be available on other carriers and Google isn't dumb enough to try to pull their stuff from iPhones. They know how many people use iPhones and they rely on those users to provide them revenue by using their services.

The author was just offering their opinion and nothing factual. The only thing is about Google and Verizon to make google's services faster on VZW. That's it. That's nothing about pulling google services from iPhone or AT&T. VZW is Google's biggest carrier and supporter so they want to enhance the performance of their devices on their network to make more people switch over because if a person uses a lot of their services and they are great on VZW, they may be more likely to get a Droid or continue to use Google's stuff.

I agree with you about relying on a service too much. I never have and never will.
    08-09-10 04:03 PM
    Yeah but that's besides the point. You're taking the google voice a little too far. That was just an example of Apple blocking something on their device. There are plenty others that Apple doesn't want on their device because of a competitve advantage and that's why there's always lawsuit of FCC filings. And it's not just Apple, it's everyone. So my whole point was saying that Apple isn't immune to someone wanted to restrict something on their device. I'm sure Apple doesn't want genuine Apple products on many other smartphone because that would give people a reason to not buy their device. Once again, do I like it? No. But I would certainly understand it. All of these companies want everything their way and sometimes another company will just be spiteful and this stuff goes into court for years. It's dumb but they do it all the time. So it's ok for Apple to say "we don't want your specific product or services on our device", but it's not ok for that same company to say "Ok, well we don't want any of our stuff on your device"? That's a bit hypocritical. Personally I don't care, I just wish everything was available everywhere for everyone instead of us having to always settle. But hey, what are you gonna do.
    But again, its not Apple blocking Google Voice it's ATT telling them they can't allow it in the App Store. Apple loses nothing allowing Google Voice on their device, only ATT does.
    08-09-10 04:10 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD