Now that google sync supports gmail push, does the iphone 3gs have true 2 way push for email and gmail? Does it work the same for contacts and calendar as it does on a BB?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-09 01:29 PM
    Now that google sync supports gmail push, does the iphone 3gs have true 2 way push for email and gmail? Does it work the same for contacts and calendar as it does on a BB?

I can tell you that from moving from a Blackberry Pearl 8120 to an iPhone 3GS recently, while I love the iPhone, the email solutions on the iPhone really stink IMO, compared to the Blackberry. Yes, you have Yahoo and Gmail push capability, with the rest fetch, but in reality, I find them all pretty unreliable in comparison to what BB offers. Half the time, I don't ever even get the email notification message in my supposedly "push" delivery of yahoo or gmail, and instead, I have to manually open the email app, before it connects to the server and then notifies me of messages. The email presentation with its folders and true HTML rendering may look nice and stuff, but if you value getting your emails reliably as a number one priority, then you will be disappointed moving to an iPhone. Now keep in mind, I'm not using MobileMe, so maybe that would improve my viewpoint on the whole thing, but I refuse to pay extra for an email solution when with the Blackberry, reliable emails came standard straight out of the box. The contacts and calendar functions can be synched (and I do, in fact, with my Yahoo account being my primary account), but the iPhone seems to need to connect with the server each time you open the email app, to be able to do anything. This slows down the whole process in my opinion, and I find that very annoying.

That being said, I didn't get the iPhone for its email capability, so that drawback is ok with me. If you want the iPhone, you have to want it for its other strengths, and in those areas, IMHO, it beats the crudola out of the BB (I still have an 8900 that I use for work that does give me reliable email), so it's a matter of what you value more.
    Last edited by dknyberry; 10-20-09 at 02:32 PM.
    10-20-09 02:26 PM
    That's the kind of detailed response I was looking for. Thank you. If email won't work they way I want it, I can't even consider the iphone. I do think a lot of the apps would be useful but not at the expense of my productivity.

10-20-09 03:25 PM
    That's the kind of detailed response I was looking for. Thank you. If email won't work they way I want it, I can't even consider the iphone. I do think a lot of the apps would be useful but not at the expense of my productivity.

I totally understand. It would be great if either the iPhone or the BB could have both a great email client as well as great media/internet browser, but I guess that's too much to ask for. LOL
    10-20-09 03:37 PM
    It should be really easy for Apple to implement this. It souns like the iphones mail app is more like live mail while the BB's is outlook.

10-20-09 04:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD