So, it seems that I'm able to upgrade to an iphone 3gs. Currently using a Curve 8900, and I love it. The only thing that bugs me is the browser. I have a data plan and I'm always asking... "What's the point to pay for it when the browser is so hard to use.?" So I want to switch over to a phone that has a better browser. I always wanted a storm2, but unlocking it for att with no 3g is pointless. So its pretty much an iphone choice because I did have an ipod touch which I liked. I love the BB os and interface and the iphone seems more like a toy, but they have so much good apps. Is this so called iphone the one for me? Its going to be hard for me to lose my BB. Also does an iphone have regular push emails? Apple sells this "package" that pushes emails,calendars etc...., does that mean I have to buy that to get push? Am I ready to move on and get that iphone or should I wait for another iphone release lol?

Thanks
    11-14-09 07:11 PM
    So, it seems that I'm able to upgrade to an iphone 3gs. Currently using a Curve 8900, and I love it. The only thing that bugs me is the browser. I have a data plan and I'm always asking... "What's the point to pay for it when the browser is so hard to use.?" So I want to switch over to a phone that has a better browser. I always wanted a storm2, but unlocking it for att with no 3g is pointless. So its pretty much an iphone choice because I did have an ipod touch which I liked. I love the BB os and interface and the iphone seems more like a toy, but they have so much good apps. Is this so called iphone the one for me? Its going to be hard for me to lose my BB. Also does an iphone have regular push emails? Apple sells this "package" that pushes emails,calendars etc...., does that mean I have to buy that to get push? Am I ready to move on and get that iphone or should I wait for another iphone release lol?

Thanks
    You can always just buy it and try it out, and if it doesn't work out for you sell it. The iPhone does get push email with select services. If you have Gmail, your email is push. MobileMe is the service you are talking about that you have to buy, and it s push email. Yahoo is also push I believe, but I heard it isn't very reliable.

There will be a new iPhone next Spring/Summer, so it is up to you with what you want to do. The iPhone has a great resale value so you will make your money back and then some if you aren't buying it full retail.
    11-14-09 07:25 PM
    There is a app called GPush for G-mail if you use that. I haven't missed a single E-mail that was important using the Application. Although I only use G-mail for my main E-mail - I'm sure there's other ways to get it to push. I haven't tried the built in push for the phone recently, but last time I tried it delayed itself. Anyway, thought I'd put my two cents in.
    11-15-09 08:47 AM
    Since it's so close to the end of the year and spring is right around the corner, I would say to wait. With technology being put in place, it's likely that it will be the announcement of iPhone 4G along with other improvements as well.
    11-15-09 12:04 PM
    There is a app called GPush for G-mail if you use that. I haven't missed a single E-mail that was important using the Application. Although I only use G-mail for my main E-mail - I'm sure there's other ways to get it to push. I haven't tried the built in push for the phone recently, but last time I tried it delayed itself. Anyway, thought I'd put my two cents in.
    Follow these instructions for push Gmail without any app. Google Sync : Set Up Your iPhone or iPod Touch - Mobile Help
    11-15-09 01:28 PM
    Follow these instructions for push Gmail without any app. Google Sync : Set Up Your iPhone or iPod Touch - Mobile Help
    This is great if you don't use Microsoft Exchange for your work email. You can only have 1 exchange account on a phone.
    11-15-09 02:46 PM
    This is great if you don't use Microsoft Exchange for your work email. You can only have 1 exchange account on a phone.
    Yea. It sucks you can only have one exchange account.
    11-15-09 03:33 PM
    What's an exchange account? Are you saying that I can't set up mutiple email accounts like the BlackBerry? Thanks.
    11-15-09 05:12 PM
    What's an exchange account? Are you saying that I can't set up mutiple email accounts like the BlackBerry? Thanks.
    An exchange account is used by businesses and it basically like a BES. It provides calander, contact, email, etc. to sync with your mobile device and computer. You can only have 1 exchange account on the iPhone. You can have multiple email accounts that aren't exchange.
    11-15-09 07:12 PM
    You don't need GPush because you can just use Google Sync.
    11-18-09 11:08 AM
    oo really is that mean that I can't have 2 exchange emails on the iphone

maybe i should try it tomorrow
    11-18-09 11:47 AM
    Well too late to get a 3GS that will hold a jailbreak....thats what sucks
    11-18-09 03:26 PM
    Here's your answer regarding push on the iphone.

Supported push mail accounts on iPhone and iPod touch

I thought Gmail and hotmail were added to the list as well, but not according to Apple's site. I know people that use iphones with both of those providers, and it's reasonably fast at receiving, but not as fast as a BB.

Take that as you will.
    11-18-09 06:27 PM
    Here's your answer regarding push on the iphone.

Supported push mail accounts on iPhone and iPod touch

I thought Gmail and hotmail were added to the list as well, but not according to Apple's site. I know people that use iphones with both of those providers, and it's reasonably fast at receiving, but not as fast as a BB.

Take that as you will.
    Well first of all, the Apple article was written 9/2/09, but Google did not come out with pushed Gmail for iPhone until 9/22/09.

Second, that article is for discussing native push functions on the phone. Gmail can be pushed to the iPhone not natively but by using Google Sync.
    11-20-09 12:33 PM
    Well first of all, the Apple article was written 9/2/09, but Google did not come out with pushed Gmail for iPhone until 9/22/09.

Second, that article is for discussing native push functions on the phone. Gmail can be pushed to the iPhone not natively but by using Google Sync.
    Thanks for clarifying. It did seem out of date, compared to the real world feedback I've heard.
    11-20-09 12:47 PM
    i went ahead and upgraded to the 3GS and have been very pleased! i was going to wait to see what else comes out, but its never a gurantee so i figured i'd jump on the sure thing. as for the push gmail, the exchange acct is an option, but honestly, its still in beta, and i've never gotten it to work very well for me. now gpush, the app, works flawlessly! i actually like that option better in fact as it gives you a preview of the sender and subject of the email that has come in. plus you have different sounds for the email notification instead of the low sounding ding.
    11-23-09 01:36 PM
    i just switched from a 9530 to a 3gs, couldnt be happier. After trying out both the iphone and a bb9700 i decided this was the better choice and the more i use this phone the more i am pleased with it.
    11-24-09 11:59 PM
    I got mine 2 days ago Im very very pleased, except for the battery that's the only drawback that I can see.
    11-26-09 06:34 PM
    It's a great time to get one. The 3Gs is awesome, the new camera is great, Safari is still one of the best mobile browsers available and there are apps for pretty much whatever you'd like to do.

I got mine 2 days ago Im very very pleased, except for the battery that's the only drawback that I can see.
    Did you jailbreak your phone?
    11-26-09 06:38 PM
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm still confused on the push mail. So gmail and yahoo is free for push but what about hotmail? The iphone doesnt provide the service of push hotmail? To get hotmail are you going to have to buy that email software that apple provides? The only thing holding me back is the push email. I want that great push email that BB provides. If you guys can help me clarify the push email a bit more I would appreciate that.

Thanks
    Last edited by Watsonphone; 11-28-09 at 02:24 AM.
    11-28-09 02:22 AM
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm still confused on the push mail. So gmail and yahoo is free for push but what about hotmail? The iphone doesnt provide the service of push hotmail? To get hotmail are you going to have to buy that email software that apple provides? The only thing holding me back is the push email. I want that great push email that BB provides. If you guys can help me clarify the push email a bit more I would appreciate that.

Thanks
    For the iPhone, there is currently no hotmail push option. I have a hotmail account and the iPhone can do what they call "fetch" those emails for you. Essentially, what it does is survey and pull your hotmail emails in at designated time intervals. So, for example, you can set it to fetch your hotmail every 15 minutes, and it will pull those emails into your inbox for you. You can also send email from it just like you can any other email account you have, so it's not that bad in my opinion. I have Yahoo and Gmail push to my phone while aol and hotmail, I have fetched.

The other workaround that you can do is have all your email (including hotmail) pushed to your phone thru Apple's MobileMe service, which I hear works really well, but this service costs about a hundred a year for the subscription.

I used to have a Blackberry Pearl as my personal phone and I still use a Curve 8900 for work. While the email delivery was great, the other stuff on the phone like the browser, was pathetic. The iPhone gives you a lot of other great things to keep you entertained (like a terrific browser), but yet still gives you access to your emails. Yeah, maybe you won't get your emails instantly all the time like you do on the blackberry, but I personally find it ok as long as I do get the emails and can use it as a phone (which btw, I find the call quality on the iPhone much better than what it is on the blackberry phones).
    Last edited by dknyberry; 11-28-09 at 07:33 AM.
    11-28-09 07:05 AM
    before you go jump ship bcause of the browser try downloading opera mini for your blackberry. just as good as safari in my opinion.
    11-30-09 10:08 AM
    You can get a MobileMe subscription for about $60 or so from Amazon.. etc.
    11-30-09 10:28 AM
    before you go jump ship bcause of the browser try downloading opera mini for your blackberry. just as good as safari in my opinion.
    I dont think Opera Mini is anywhere near as good as Safari. Ive used all the latest versions on my Tour and doing a comparo with Safari on my iPhone and my Droid browser Opera Mini is nowhere close the the Droids browser let alone Safari.
    11-30-09 10:33 AM
    Is it worth switching to the 3GS?

Maybe.

TheiPhoneBlog.com recently reported that a new iPhone was being tested out in San Fran-

It was being tested out as "3,1" which leads people to speculate that this is NEW hardware.

So if you don't mind getting a "GOOD" iPhone now, and having a "NEW" iPhone in June/July

Then I'd say get one now.
    11-30-09 10:44 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD