I have decided to give the iPhone a chance. For one I will be able to video chat with my girlfriend and family when away from my MacBook. I also will have more power over Multimedia and so many more apps. Perhaps I may regret this choice and why Sprint has the 14 day return policy. If so I would go to a BB Bold, and get a iPod Touch. Okay here are some questions for people familiar with both platforms.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/17575179#17575179

1. Will I be able to retain my Blackberry.net email address? If not can I create emails on the iPhone? Can I also create mail filters on the iPhone?---ANSWERED

2. Pictures & video that I shoot will they sync with iPhoto?----YES

3. Are audio notes synced to iTunes?---YES

4. How are memo Pad notes synced on my Mac and with what application? Can I create notes on my Macbook and sync with the iPhone?---From what I gather the BB beats the iPhone in this category. iPhone has to sync with Mail which is a horrid notes interface. BB can sync with Outlook and Entourage which is far better.

5. How can my Podcasts be synced to my iPhone? My guess would be 3G, WIFI, USB sync, and WIFI sync. If I do not desire to sync via WIFI, and 3G, will I be able to sync to my Macbook via WIFI & USB cable sync? On the Blackberry Podcasts take FOREVER to download via 3G, so my guess would be the same on the iPhone.

6. What app do I need to Facetime over 3G?

7. How can I copy my ringtones from my Blackberry to my iphone? As I understand I cant access the iPhone as a drive in the finer like I can with my Blackberry so this may be a problematic solution.

8. When I sync with Mail does it automatically sync all my E-mail accounts or can I configure mail to skip some of my email accounts that I do not want to be seen on my iPhone?
    Last edited by jwolf6589; 02-12-12 at 04:46 PM.
    02-12-12 04:39 PM
    4. You can set it to sync with outlook, there is an option in itunes for this. However you lose the automatic icloud sync, when I make a note on my iphone its automatically pushed to my mac. The other option is get Evernote, its free and is far supperior to the notes app on the iphone.

5. You can use itunes to sync podcasts, so they would be downloaded to your mac via wifi and then when you sync they get transfered over. Personally I use iCatcher, it automatically refreshes and downloads new podcasts whenever my iphone is connected wifi, and it also gives you the option to download via 3g.

6. You need to jailbreak to be able to use facetime over 3g.

7. You import them to itunes, they then show up in the ringtones section. From there make sure that ringtones are selected the next time you sync and they transfer over to your phone.

8. You only set up the email accounts you want on your phone, you can even set up which folders in that mail account you want to have updated.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask, I've had an iphone for almost 4 years, and enjoy
    02-12-12 05:00 PM
    Make sure you set up your email thru exchange on the device gmail, yahoo etc are compatible and it's instant push contrary to what many people would have you believe - I suggest you jump over to the sister forum iMore.com for more people who have made the switch - and there's less doom and gloom you're trying the iPhone

Hope this helps - I'm Cleveland over there btw lol
    02-12-12 05:09 PM
    And one more thing you will probably hate the 3G speeds with sprint on it- they for the most part are horrid around .6 to .8 Mbps ... That's a fault of the carrier not the phone VZW is getting 2-3 Mbps and AT&T is getting anywhere from 4mbps to 10mbps
    Last edited by cleverocks22; 02-12-12 at 05:49 PM.
    02-12-12 05:19 PM
    Make sure you set up your email thru exchange on the device gmail, yahoo etc are compatible and it's instant push contrary to what many people would have you believe - I suggest you jump over to the sister forum iMore.com for more people who have made the switch - and there's less doom and gloom you're trying the iPhone

There's no gloom and doom here about people switching to other platforms. We just correct the statements tat are wrong and bias about blackberrys. There is a lot of people here that prefer blackberrys, buts know how to do certain things on other platforms and more than willing to help.
    We are testers, we enjoy tinkering with things to see what we can learn. Its a life of pursuit for knowledge.
    Just because we like blackberrys doesn't mean we hate everything else or don't know anything about the other devices.
    02-12-12 06:29 PM
    There's no gloom and doom here about people switching to other platforms. We just correct the statements tat are wrong and bias about blackberrys. There is a lot of people here that prefer blackberrys, buts know how to do certain things on other platforms and more than willing to help.
    We are testers, we enjoy tinkering with things to see what we can learn. Its a life of pursuit for knowledge.
    Just because we like blackberrys doesn't mean we hate everything else or don't know anything about the other devices.
    And there's A LOT of people here who constantly throw out the iToy comment or are completely inaccurate about the iPhone - I've been here long enough to see it, I'm just throwing my 2� worth in

It is however unfortunate that happens, it makes it harder for the rest of everyone here who doesn't flame out everytime they hear about an iDevice, and it does happen a lot

So no disrespect to anyone who's truly trying to help, just basing opinions on my own experiences
    02-12-12 06:45 PM
    And there's A LOT of people here who constantly throw out the iToy comment or are completely inaccurate about the iPhone - I've been here long enough to see it, I'm just throwing my 2� worth in

It is however unfortunate that happens, it makes it harder for the rest of everyone here who doesn't flame out everytime they hear about an iDevice, and it does happen a lot

So no disrespect to anyone who's truly trying to help, just basing opinions on my own experiences
    Why would you take it personally? Do you know how bad apple fanboys are? They will knock down your device and make it feel like dirt! So forgive me if I don't feel bad for the poor apple fans in this site.

Getting that off my chest lol I have an iPhone and have enjoyed it! Have fun with your new iPhone I hope you like it and it's a smooth change over! I did it last year and it went smooth for me! Be prepared to buy a lot of apps! Haha
    02-12-12 07:42 PM
    Lol who said I was taking it personally ? I was just offering my 2�
    02-12-12 08:00 PM
    I have decided to give the iPhone a chance. For one I will be able to video chat with my girlfriend and family when away from my MacBook. I also will have more power over Multimedia and so many more apps. Perhaps I may regret this choice and why Sprint has the 14 day return policy. If so I would go to a BB Bold, and get a iPod Touch. Okay here are some questions for people familiar with both platforms.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/17575179#17575179

1. Will I be able to retain my Blackberry.net email address? If not can I create emails on the iPhone? Can I also create mail filters on the iPhone?---ANSWERED

2. Pictures & video that I shoot will they sync with iPhoto?----YES

3. Are audio notes synced to iTunes?---YES

4. How are memo Pad notes synced on my Mac and with what application? Can I create notes on my Macbook and sync with the iPhone?---From what I gather the BB beats the iPhone in this category. iPhone has to sync with Mail which is a horrid notes interface. BB can sync with Outlook and Entourage which is far better.

5. How can my Podcasts be synced to my iPhone? My guess would be 3G, WIFI, USB sync, and WIFI sync. If I do not desire to sync via WIFI, and 3G, will I be able to sync to my Macbook via WIFI & USB cable sync? On the Blackberry Podcasts take FOREVER to download via 3G, so my guess would be the same on the iPhone.

6. What app do I need to Facetime over 3G?

7. How can I copy my ringtones from my Blackberry to my iphone? As I understand I cant access the iPhone as a drive in the finer like I can with my Blackberry so this may be a problematic solution.

8. When I sync with Mail does it automatically sync all my E-mail accounts or can I configure mail to skip some of my email accounts that I do not want to be seen on my iPhone?

As a 10 yr Sprint customer, my only comment is to be wary of the download speeds.

Sprint's download speeds for the IPhone have been notoriously slow. It's one of the reasons I did not try out the phone when it launched. That, and I hate small screens after having used the EVO for over a year.

EVERYONE that I know who has the iPhone with Sprint has complained about the slow download speeds. Every single person.

But there's no data cap or overages charge. So some things are a trade off.

Cheers!
    02-12-12 09:16 PM
    I'm not putting the iphone down at all. 1 thing about an iphone is your tied to 1 media library. If something happens to your hard drive you are stuck with what's on your iphone. O you'll lose wats on the iphone at the time. Well I use to softwares to transfer media to/from the pc and iphone. Copytrans and ifunbox. I hate itunes myself and use these softwares solely. You still have to have itunes installed on your pc though.
    I use google synch to transfer contacts and.calander to the iphone. I don't know how you where planning on doing that I didn't see you mention it.
    02-12-12 09:38 PM
    I use "Simplenote" and it sync beautifully and instantly with iPhone.

Simplenote Downloads
    02-12-12 09:54 PM
    I'm not putting the iphone down at all. 1 thing about an iphone is your tied to 1 media library. If something happens to your hard drive you are stuck with what's on your iphone. O you'll lose wats on the iphone at the time. Well I use to softwares to transfer media to/from the pc and iphone. Copytrans and ifunbox. I hate itunes myself and use these softwares solely. You still have to have itunes installed on your pc though.
    I use google synch to transfer contacts and.calander to the iphone. I don't know how you where planning on doing that I didn't see you mention it.
    Sorry, but most of your post is misinformed.

You no longer need iTunes installed on a PC to run your devices. Your iPad iPod iPhone will all work right out of the box. All you need do is log-in.

You don't lose your library or your app purchases if your PC or any of your devices crash.

Your library get stored on iCloud and it syncs all your devices wirelessly. IOS5 did all of this. Have you updated as yet? I know some folks who still haven't. Apple will force he update soon I believe.

I guess people make the same mis-statements about iDevices as they do BB devices.
    02-12-12 09:54 PM

You no longer need iTunes installed on a PC to run your devices. Your iPad iPod iPhone will all work right out of the box. All you need do is log-in.

You don't lose your library or your app purchases if your PC or any of your devices crash.

Your library get stored on iCloud and it syncs all your devices wirelessly. IOS5 did all of this. Have you updated as yet? I know some folks who still haven't. Apple will force he update soon I believe.

I guess people make the same mis-statements about iDevices as they do BB devices.
    This is true. Also a Time Machines backup (if you use Mac) can backup all media including pics, music, movies, etc.

Enjoy your iPhone. I love mine.
    02-12-12 10:02 PM
    Huh? I transfer songs from my hard-drive to my iPhone all the time. I hook my iPhone up open iTunes, drag my music from my hard drive to my iPhone.

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    02-12-12 10:07 PM
    Your right but at the same time don't you still need iTunes if you want to view anything that you have on your phone on a PC (other than photos which you can just plug and play)? I am actually asking. I have iOS 5 and have used iCloud but than disabled it, so I haven't used it enough to know.

I really enjoy the phone itself and what it can do but I can't get over itunes, for me I really like just the ease of drag and dropping and knowing where my folders are... the whole syncing and using iTunes frustrates me. If they would even give me an option to see my folders on the phone (I don't want to use dropbox) than I could enjoy the device a lot more.. I'm sorry I am getting off topic!
    Last edited by shn; 02-12-12 at 10:16 PM.
    02-12-12 10:11 PM
    4. You can set it to sync with outlook, there is an option in itunes for this. However you lose the automatic icloud sync, when I make a note on my iphone its automatically pushed to my mac. The other option is get Evernote, its free and is far supperior to the notes app on the iphone.

5. You can use itunes to sync podcasts, so they would be downloaded to your mac via wifi and then when you sync they get transfered over. Personally I use iCatcher, it automatically refreshes and downloads new podcasts whenever my iphone is connected wifi, and it also gives you the option to download via 3g.

6. You need to jailbreak to be able to use facetime over 3g.

7. You import them to itunes, they then show up in the ringtones section. From there make sure that ringtones are selected the next time you sync and they transfer over to your phone.

8. You only set up the email accounts you want on your phone, you can even set up which folders in that mail account you want to have updated.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask, I've had an iphone for almost 4 years, and enjoy
    The BB can get Podcasts via WIFI or 3G without any 3rd party software. Are you saying that this cannot be done on the iPhone? I do not know how many times I need to tell people that I am not at all interested in 3rd party software. I have been syncing to my iPod nano for "years." I do not want to change..
    02-12-12 10:13 PM

Thank for this new website. I have been posting on the Mac boards, but they are more limited than the site you mentioned.
    Cleveland likes this.
    02-12-12 10:16 PM
    Why would you take it personally? Do you know how bad apple fanboys are? They will knock down your device and make it feel like dirt! So forgive me if I don't feel bad for the poor apple fans in this site.

Getting that off my chest lol I have an iPhone and have enjoyed it! Have fun with your new iPhone I hope you like it and it's a smooth change over! I did it last year and it went smooth for me! Be prepared to buy a lot of apps! Haha
    I have enjoyed the BB, but since Sprint got the iPhone I am changing. There are 50 x more apps for the iPhone, the web browser is 50 x faster, and the iPhone is overall a more capable phone. I may miss BB Maps, and BB Traffic, but I can get just as capable apps for the iPhone. BB Messenger is worthless to me, since everyone I know has moved from the BB to a iPhone. Its my turn soon.
    02-12-12 10:21 PM
    The BB can get Podcasts via WIFI or 3G without any 3rd party software. Are you saying that this cannot be done on the iPhone? I do not know how many times I need to tell people that I am not at all interested in 3rd party software. I have been syncing to my iPod nano for "years." I do not want to change..
    Well, the iphone won't update podcasts by itself. You either get them through itunes on your computer than sync to your iphone, or go into itunes on your phone and go to each individual podcast and download them that way, or you can get a third party app. You can just keep doing what you have been doing on your ipod nano with the iphone, just syaing if you want to do it like you do on your blackberry, you need a third party app.
    02-12-12 10:23 PM
    I am a Mac user.
    02-12-12 10:23 PM
    Your right but at the same time don't you still need iTunes if you want to view anything that you have on your phone on a PC (other than photos which you can just plug and play)? I am actually asking. I have iOS 5 and have used iCloud but than disabled it, so I haven't used it enough to know.

!

Yes. You need it installed on your PC/Mac to view your library/purchases, but not the other way around.
    02-12-12 11:09 PM

No my post isn't misinformed. I didn't clearify that you still have to have itunes installed on your computer if you use ifunbox. It uses itunes to connect to the idevices.
    If your library is on your pc and something happens and you still want to use you pc your are in trouble. No I haven't swapped over. My iphones are in the closet they are just things for me to tinker with. My wife hasn't swapped either. I don't see how apple can make you use icloud. I bet you my wife doesn't switch to icloud. 64 gb is a lot of data to backup/restore from online.
    Copytrans is a great software to mange your idevices with as is ifunbox. On know ifunbox asa version for mac I'm not sure about copytrans. I don't have a mac so really don't pay attention. If your a.person that feels better using an explorer type interface and have your data secure on your own hardrive or be able to transfer what ya want when ya want try these out.
    02-12-12 11:45 PM
    Huh? I transfer songs from my hard-drive to my iPhone all the time. I hook my iPhone up open iTunes, drag my music from my hard drive to my iPhone.

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    What are you asking? What your doing is importing the songs from your HD into intunes library which is then synched to your device. If something happened to your hd drive or that library got deleted and you tryied to synched to another library the songs on the devices would be deleted and the new library would be on the device.
    Using copytrans/ifunbox you can import the media from the idevice into itunes or just put it onto your harddrive what ever you want to do.
    02-12-12 11:57 PM

For some reason, my work emails show up on my iPhone4 often up to 10 minutes after they appear on my desktop. My mail is on an Exchange server accessed by ActiveSync on the iPhone. Gmail is usually instant.
    02-13-12 12:56 AM
    I like my iPhone but I hate iTunes. It was a royal pain to update the iOS from 4.x to 5. The computer I used to set up my iPhone was long gone (hard drive died) and iTunes complained. I ended up having to re-import all my music since almost none of it survived the update. (I buy very few tunes on iTunes so they were the only ones I could re-download from the iCloud).

Those who are familiar with iOS5 -- will my 8 gigs of music (not purchased from iTunes) be automagically backed up to iCloud? I'm not interested in purchasing any extra storage from Apple.
    02-13-12 01:10 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD